Star Wars: Battlefront 2 launches later this year, will have solo campaign

midian182

Staff member

Despite shipping 14 million copies, Star Wars: Battlefront released to a number of mixed reviews back in 2015. While there were plenty of critics and players who praised the game, an equal number (sometimes more, according to aggregation sites) were disappointed by its shallowness and the lack of a single-player campaign. But in its recent earnings report, EA said the game’s sequel would address these shortcomings.

CEO Andrew Wilson confirmed that a “bigger” Star War: Battlefront 2 is coming out in holiday 2017. Dice is developing the game alongside Criterion Games - the company responsible for the Burnout series - and EA’s Motive Studios.

In addition to that single-player campaign, which will doubtlessly be appreciated by Star Wars fans who aren’t interested in multiplayer-only titles, the sequel is set to feature content from “multiple Star Wars eras.”

Wilson said there would be more locations, heroes, and characters available from across the franchise, though the first game’s Rogue One: Scarif expansion already adds some content from another era of Star Wars.

SW: Battlefront 2’s multiplayer mode will also be getting an upgrade, with more game modes and, hopefully, a lot more depth.

It’s unclear where all this leaves SW: Battlefront 1. "The team has shifted its focus to creating the next great Star Wars game," said EA DICE.  One element that will definitely suffer is Skirmish mode, which lets players fight AI opponents offline. It won’t be receiving any new content, but official forum community manage Mat Everett said (via Kotaku) that support for the current game is not done. “While we will not be bringing more Skirmish content to the game, it doesn’t mean nothing else is coming.”

Permalink to story.

Like with what happened to CoD4, they don't bother improving the base game, but instead move on to something completely new, which ends up just being a glorified re-skinning of the previous game, with a couple of flashing lights added (or silencers for shotgun in CoDs case, yea). Which not only leaves all the people who bought the first one in the ditch, but also forces people to spend more money on what for many, is yet another leap of faith/pre-order marketing nightmare. I'm sure they will repeat the same mistakes yet again, as they refuse to learn. These companies focus more on quantity over quality. But quality is and should be the defining factor: look at KOTOR1 & 2, they're ancient, but they're still very popular and well-regarded.

Heroes need to be made much better. They can take some inspiration from TF2 or Smite.
That's the thing, they are not heroes, only the average joe trooper that got killed by the hundreds on movies.

I don't see how campaigns could be fun on these types of games, I did play the first Battlefronts and they were pretty lame, since the fun of this is playing in big groups against big groups. It's like playing counter strike against bots =(

That's the thing, they are not heroes, only the average joe trooper that got killed by the hundreds on movies.

I don't see how campaigns could be fun on these types of games, I did play the first Battlefronts and they were pretty lame, since the fun of this is playing in big groups against big groups. It's like playing counter strike against bots =(
battlefront has "hero" units that you can get as drops on the map (Darth Vader, Luke, etc). it's those that I have been talking about.

for big Star Wars fans it can be really fun to play events from the movies or lore. it doesn't need to be great, just serviceable. the multiplayer is what they need to nail down and make it great.

battlefront has "hero" units that you can get as drops on the map (Darth Vader, Luke, etc). it's those that I have been talking about.
I understand now, but for what I saw in a couple of videos they looked quite deadly.

for big Star Wars fans it can be really fun to play events from the movies or lore. it doesn't need to be great, just serviceable. the multiplayer is what they need to nail down and make it great.
Make multiplayer great again? lol

Heroes need to be made much better. They can take some inspiration from TF2 or Smite.

The whole game needs to be trashed or the name changed. It isn't anything like the original battlefront games. It's should be called Battlefield with a starwars skin.

This talk about content coming from multiple eras sounds like EA is hoping to sell the game even more piecemeal than usual.

Back