StarCraft 2 problem

theocracy

OK when i try to start starcraft 2 (which i just bought and installed) it says it cant play due to an error.... the error is e_errorNoSSE Blizzard says my processor is old but its a am2 amd quad-core fully updated. Any ideas? PLease and Thank you.

specs

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
System Manufacturer: FOXCONN
System Model: Destroyer
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3328MB RAM

From what I can gather, SSE is referring to Streaming SIMD Extensions.

To fix this issue which has affected many AMD processors, simply restart your computer and go into your BIOS. In your processor settings there should be an option to toggle SSE, so be certain that it is on (enabled).

Let us know if that works!

Well I looked in my bios under everything and I didnt see anything about SSE. Do I need to update or flush my bios? if so where at?

hm ... you might download cpu-z and see if it states that your processor supports SSE.

I am a little unclear about this topic since AMD once had their own version of SSE called "3Dnow!" or something like that. So sometimes an AMD processor has to be manually set to use SS extensions.

EDIT: On the first tab titled "CPU" of the CPU-Z program, there should be a little text box in the middle after the word "Instructions".

Ok, I downloaded that program and it says in the "Instructions" box "MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE(1,2,3,4A) x86-64, AMD-V"

What does that mean and what should I do now?

Alright, let me see if there is an update for you processor since your BIOS doesn't have an SSE toggle.

EDIT: ... lol ... Sorry bud, I fell asleep!

There doesn't seem to be any relevant updates for your processor, but is your machine really running on the 32-bit version of Windows 7? Others are more knowledgeable about 32 and 64 bit compatibility issues, but I can't help but wonder if this is confusing your processor.

Right now, my money is on your BIOS. Here's the update page for it.

I remember reading about similar issues with AMD processors that should work but didn't in WoW. Here is the thread I found, maybe Blizzards official support on SC2 forums can help before you update your BIOS as your processor should support SSE instruction set.

Well finally I got it to work... I didnt change a single thing with my processor though. I went to blizzard.com and downloaded the game from there instead of installing it from cd and now it works perfect. Thanks for all the help though!

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
System Manufacturer: FOXCONN
System Model: Destroyer
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3328MB RAM
You should upgrade to 64x win7, because not all you ram will be detected.
and worse comes to worse you could pm your account info and ill be happy to use it!

The 32-bit versions of Windows 7 (starter version excluded) should recognize up to 4 GB of RAM, so he might not need to upgrade to the 64-bit version for that reason. Getting more use out of his Phenom II processor would be a good reason though. :)

Back