Static during older game cinematics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been experiencing some pretty nasty static from my speakers whenever watching computer game cinematics that predate the year 2000. I tested this theory by trying multiple games that were made 2000 and post 2000 and their cinematics would work prefectly with sound. However, anything that was pre 2000 would cause a rather annoying crackly sound to play through the speakers and would last for a couple of minutes after the cinematic had ended before going away finally.

I also think that this issue may have something to do with the vibration of my dvd rom spinning around because any cinematic plays just fine until the cd needs to be read in which case the computer speeds up the drive and the static ensues. I spent all of yesterday downloading new drivers for my sound card and fiddling around with my Realtek HD Audio Manager to absolutely no avail. I even installed this particular game I'm trying to play - Starcraft - on my wifes PC to see if she was experiencing these same issues...and she was not. Everything played fine on hers.

I struggled to match every last audio-related sound setting I could find between our computers (every last setting in Realtek HD Manager, sound drives being identical versions, general sound settings etc.) but was not able to find the root of the issue it seems.

starcraftwire.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2044 <-- This thread link may prove useful to see just what different approaches have been taken and what-not. My motherboard is a ECS P965T-A and the sound card that I'm presumed to have built in to it is a Realtek ALC883. The current version of my sound card driver is 5.10.0.5366.

Can anyone think of anything at all that I haven't tried to fix this pre-2000 game sound glitch with cinematic issue? I feel like I'm out of options and after several different searches on Google it seems no one else has had the same issues as I am having. :(

Edit: Also, I purchased brand new speakers yesterday to replace my low-quality ones. They are not USB or wireless however, which may have solved the static issue but I was not able to any reasonably priced ones.

Sorry, and as an add-on to what I've said above this problem does seem to extend beyond the cinematics at times. Like when a game is starting up or when the volume is turned up past half-way. But still only with the older games predating 2000.

Have you been keeping up with Microsoft's updates? XP is up to Service Pack 3. What antivirus or antimalware programs do you use?

I've just now made sure I had Service Pack 3 properly installed by installing it again as a precaution...the static issue remains. :( For antivirus I use Avria Antivir Personal and for antimalware ad-watch & ad-aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back