Steam reveals its most popular games in December

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Did you buy any games on the Steam platform last month? Maybe you received a gift card as a Christmas present and splashed out on some titles. If so, was one of them in Steam’s list of best-sellers for the month of December?

As it always does with these things, Steam hasn’t listed the games in any particular order. There are a few games you’d expect to see, such as Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Red Dead Redemption 2.

There are also some names you wouldn’t expect; it appears Nancy Drew: Midnight in Salem is more popular than you’d imagine, and there are a few other titles in there you might not have heard of. Check out the full list at the bottom of the page.

What’s especially interesting is, as noted by PC Gamer, one of the top twenty games is VR Paradise Gentlemen's Club, but it appears to have been removed from the main list of 20 games, leaving only 19—though you can still see the cover in the background (below). It’s also listed in the top 20 on the Steam blog, but clicking on it leads to a site error.

Steam notes that only a handful of tags applied to multiple games on the list: Action (9 games), Adventure (9), RPG (7), Indie (6), and Casual (6). The top free games of the month were Ylands, Paunch, Ironsight, Endless World and Inferna.

Valve recently revealed its best-selling games of 2019. They include PUBG, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Total War: Three Kingdoms, and, despite being released on Windows back in 2015, the ever-popular GTA V.

Top selling games in December based on revenue generated during the first two weeks after launch:

• Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Nancy Drew: Midnight in Salem
  • Day of Dragons
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Endless World Idle RPG
  • Nostos The Lost Home
  • Ashen
  • GTFO
  • Boneworks
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • Hades
  • Hurtworld
  • Last Year
  • Transport Fever 2
  • Vampire: The Masquerade: Coteries of New York
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts
  • Winter Resort Simulator
  • DJMAX Respect V

Permalink to story.

How is the Master Chief Collection on PC?
I'm all worn out of Halo but I've love to see how it looks, runs and feels.

It's OK: even enhanced it looks dated, runs fine, but regardless of frametime or GPS it becomes briefly sluggish at random moments. Controls are great and responsive.

I love it personally, runs on my ultrabook too! However I would advise subscribing to Xbox game pass for £3.99 a month after a £1 for 3 months free trial in order to play it. Much cheaper and better than steam.

Of coarse this list would be different. Had it not been for holiday discounts. So I'm not so certain the games played can be labeled popular. When many of them may have been "What the hell did I just purchase, all because it was discounted".

Back