Steam weekend sale: Far Cry Complete for $14.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Steam is offering up another fine weekend sale with 50% off Far Cry and Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition. They can be purchased individually for $4.99 and $9.99 or as a package for $14.99.

Released in 2004, Far Cry is among the most popular FPS titles for the PC and was developed by Crytek, who later brought us Crysis. Players are put into the boots of Jack Carver, an ex-US Special Forces operative, who is contracted by a reporter investigating a series of islands where a mad scientist is performing illegal genetic research. After his boat is blown up by mercenaries occupying the islands, Jack is shipwrecked and forced to fight for his life.

Far Cry 2 was picked up by Ubisoft and Crytek played no part in the development. Reviewers didn't rate it quite as high as the original, but it still fared well with a Metacritic score of 85%. Set in a civil war-torn fictional African nation, the game features an open-ended storyline and players control a mercenary attempting to assassinate a notorious arms dealer called "The Jackal." "Fortunes Edition" refers to downloadable content (included) that brings three new weapons, two vehicles, and four additional multiplayer maps.

Permalink to story.

I know Far Cry 2 wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Once you invested a little time to learn the shortcuts of travel, it became a real adventure. And as a 20 year military vet (Army Infantry), I thought the weapons effects and sounds were as close to the real thing as I've ever experienced in a game.

I haven't played far cry 1, but I can tell you that Far Cry 2 is a blast and totally worth it.

For me FC2 was a bit of a disappointment coming from the original, one of my favorite FPS of all time.

:) I'll be the party pooper. I didn't care for either title. I tried so hard to like Far Cry, and I have no real complaints about it, I just couldn't get into the game. Its popularity speaks for itself though, and the Steam deal certainly seems like a bargain.

I loved Far Cry 2 D: despite what people said, i found it an epic game to play :D i know the storyline was a bit gay, but the exploration and the jungles were really nice and immersive. I would buy the game if i hadn't already finish playing it :x

Personally i think FarCry 2 is a lot better then FC1. Had a lot of fun with that game.

For Julio - I can relate. FC2 was a completely different concept and game than the original. I think that's where a lot of the negative reviews came from - folks expecting a recap of the original. However, I feel that most folks that didn't care for FC2 didn't play far enough into it to experience the real deal.

For Matthew - if you didn't like either title (unfortunate), can you share for us what FPS/RPG has worked for you?

I think the first FPS I ever played was Doom, and while I enjoyed that, it scared the hell out of me -- I was maybe 8 or 9 :). I've enjoyed a variety of first and third-person shooters since then, including Call of Duty/2, Max Payne (third person), the Halo series, the Socom series, the Chronicles of Riddick games, all the way to TF2 and (though not my favorite games by far) L4D/2.

I've played and enjoyed many RPGs from The Legend of Zelda to TES series, and most recently Borderlands and Mass Effect. I'm admittedly lousy at RPGs and I've certainly started more games than I've finished heh.

I have no legitimate reason for disliking Far Cry/2, they're obviously great games, I just couldn't (and can't) get into them for one reason or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back