Steve Ballmer names Windows Vista as biggest regret while CEO

Scorpus

Staff member

steve ballmer windows vista ceo microsoft windows vista ballmer regret

On Friday, Microsoft's Steve Ballmer announced that he would be retiring from his position as CEO within the next 12 months. The long-standing executive oversaw many operating system, software and product releases as CEO, but speaking to ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley, he regret one particular product launch the most: Windows Vista.

I would say probably the thing I regret most is the, what shall I call it, the loopedy-loo that we did that was sort of Longhorn to Vista. I would say that's probably the thing I regret most. And, you know, there are side effects of that when you tie up a big team to do something that doesn't prove out to be as valuable.

It's not surprising that Ballmer regrets the "loopedy-loo" of Windows Vista the most, as the operating system was heavily criticized around its launch for a number of reasons. High system requirements meant that many people, even with new PCs, weren't able to access all of the OS' features, and there were many issues surrounding compatibility with pre-Vista hardware. User Account Control was also criticized for producing too many prompts, causing many users to simply disable the feature entirely.

Windows 7, also released under Ballmer's reign, addressed many of the issues with Windows Vista to become one of Microsoft's most successful operating systems. Currently Vista sits on around 4% market share, with the majority of its users swiftly upgrading to Windows 7 after its release.

It's not Windows 7 that Ballmer is most proud of though, but the impact that Microsoft has had on people's lives over the course of his work at the company. He highlights being a significant part of "the birth of intelligent personal computing" throughout the '80s and '90s, and he isn't quite sure where the next chapter of his life might lead him.

Permalink to story.

He should star in a sitcom as the whacky dad who thinks he's hip to what's hot with the kids. Either that or he should build a programming team to make a really user-friendly, high-performance and relatively closed OS that supports Windows and Linux programs automagically.

Is anyone else find it kind of awkward/weird that he's announcing his retirement a year out? Maybe this is a normal thing.

Is anyone else find it kind of awkward/weird that he's announcing his retirement a year out? Maybe this is a normal thing.
I think it's a strategic thing. A CEO just announcing he's stepping down out of the blue can cause an investor panic, while if it's announced well ahead of time and that you're already carefully vetting a successor, the impact can not only be minimized, but hype can be built for the next guy in charge.

My system didn't represent the majority at the time, but Vista w/SP1 ran smooth on my 2600+, 1GB RAM and 6600GT. I never looked at XP again after that. Pre SP1, I hated Vista for its software incompatibilities. I never used compatibility mode so much in my life... assuming the programs installed at alll.

I remember the "Vista Ready" PC's debacle that hurt MS a LOT. That was some desperate and obvious damage control on day one.

Vista and W8 are two different beasts with two different problems. W8 is useable, Vista (pre SP1) was not.

I love how people conveniently forgot how much they hated Vista now that Windows 8 is around. How many have used both? Heck, how many of you have used either? I hate "hate bandwagons". Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of experiencing a problem with either OS. But any unbiased person would see that clearly the incompatibility problems that I personally didn't have to endure with Vista make it, BY FAR, the worst OS. Windows 8, on the other hand, I've gotten more then used to. I think the charms bar is refreshing and actually quite useful. Metro start menu is still kinda meh to me because I don't like ADHD tiles all over my screen but I see how many should actually like it.

I would rather, and do, use vista rather than windows 8. Windows 8 destroyed the whole pc industry, and has less features to allow for the tile overhead. Now, rt is going and we don't have the features anyway.

Windows 7 wouldn't have been made so well without the trial and error of Windows Vista. As much as I hate to admit it, it did have some purpose.

Vista was given to India to see if MS could have everything done there (cheaper).
Windows 7 fixed the India debacle. Windows 8 is far superior to Vista, just get Classic shell or from a dozen other start orb replacements. I run 7, and 8 on another machine (not new hardware) and Windows 8 desktop (with Classic Shell) is just fine. I won't get into the tpouch UI on a non-touch screen, that is another story

Vista was a true disgrace, and sadly helped Apple and it's Mac reach new heights...which is both bad and good. Competition is the best thing for the consumers. The worst part of this is how it resulted in the catastrophe that is the Tablet home PC OS (Windows 8) good god, kill it with FIREEE!!!!!!!

Windows 7 wouldn't have been made so well without the trial and error of Windows Vista. As much as I hate to admit it, it did have some purpose.
It's probably worse when you realize that Vista's beta test was in the form of retail copies.That was fairly obnoxious on the part of M$

I still think XP is the best version of Windows ever released. It doesn't do as much as Win 7, but it does a whole lot more with less, and less competent hardware, than either Vista or 7.

Back