Steve Ballmer shows he hasn't lost his wild-eyed enthusiasm

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? If there’s one thing former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is known for, it’s his displays of on-stage passion and exuberance that often crossed the line between enthusiastic and outright terrifying. He seemed to have calmed since stepping down as boss of the Redmond firm in 2014, but judging from a recent appearance, he still loves to shout his way through press conferences.

Ballmer's energetic antics are the stuff of legend. Who could forget his turn at a Microsoft corporate event in 2000, when he arrived on stage looking like he’d injected a can of Red Bull directly into his heart. Such was the effort put into his screaming, running and jumping, Ballmer managed to injure himself in the middle of his rampage – but that wasn’t going to slow him down. He finished by proclaiming in a very loud voice that “I LOVE THIS COMPANY! YEEEAAAAHH!”

In his role as owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, Ballmer introduced new players Kawhi Leonard and Paul George to the team earlier this week. The event brought back memories of some of Ballmer's famous moments, as he yelled, hollered, and clapped with the kind of energy we rarely see from CEOs these days, though he restrained himself from running across the stage.

“I’m PUMPED to say hello as Clippers to Paul and Kawhi,” he said, asking viewers to “get up if you are as psyched as I am!”

Ballmer’s other famous incident is, of course, his “developers” rant, which saw him repeat the word fourteen times while clapping and doing a little dance, like a cult leader who really loves developers.

Check out more of Ballmer in our Most Awkward Moments in Tech feature, and learn about the (mostly made up) eccentricities of other CEOs in this Drama, Drugs and Data piece.

Permalink to story.

Hey Ballmer, how'd that whole "Mobile" thing go? How did the Windows 8 thing work out?

What a complete *****.

The man who said the iPhone was a stupid overpriced gadget that was going to fail miserably while the Zune was going to be a great success.

While his outbursts as MS CEO might have been uncalled for, as an NBA owner, this is far more appropriate.

Getting your fan base psyched for a possible championship season (the Clippers have NEVER won one before) is exactly what he should be doing.

As I live in Toronto, I can tell you that winning your first title after decades of nothing is pretty awesome. There were about 1.5 million people at the parade :)

Yeah, if I was as rich as he was I would just do whatever the heck I wanted to.

Imagine you had 50 billion dollars in your pocket. I would probably go around bouncing every day of my life as well.

On a more somber but sensible note, Bill Gates and Ballmer were best friends. As such, (IMHO), Mr. Gates carried him through his tenure at M$. Gates was the brains of the pair, of that I have no doubt. After Gates left, Ballmer's shortcoming in the tech world were vividly brought to light, and caused his ouster.

On a more somber but sensible note, Bill Gates and Ballmer were best friends. As such, (IMHO), Mr. Gates carried him through his tenure at M$. Gates was the brains of the pair, of that I have no doubt. After Gates left, Ballmer's shortcoming in the tech world were vividly brought to light, and caused his ouster.

I would have no problem being robin to gates batman if it meant I'm now worth 50 billion :)

I would have no problem being robin to gates batman if it meant I'm now worth 50 billion :)
Well that's true. But, Windows 8 was the kind of sh!t that happened, when Robin found out he couldn't drive the Batmobile all by his lonesome.

But as to its ejection seat and golden parachute, both of them indeed, worked like a charm! (y) (Y):laughing:

I put the blame on windows 8 more on Steven Sinofsky since he was the president of the Windows division.

I put the blame on windows 8 more on Steven Sinofsky since he was the president of the Windows division.
There was, (if I have my facts straight), panic across the entire corporation due to the popularity of mobile devices, since you can't charge $300.00 for a pro OS, for a $200.00 device. Then, (and I hope I have the time frame correct), there was the tentative threat from Google's "Chrome", both browser and OS. (Which in the case of the Google browser, did indeed materialize in full force).

M$ has always charted a direct course to failure with their hardware efforts, either due to stiff competition, or simply shoddy quality..

If Mr.Sinofsky did manage to ram Windows 8 down Ballmer's throat, then Stevie should have shut his mouth when he saw it coming.

But I suppose, we'll never know what Gates would have done given the same options. Maybe good ole Bill, got out before or because, he had to choose the way forward. Perhaps the options presented to him, "did not compute", so to speak.

With those things said, as of now, it seems like Mr. Ballmer is having more fun than a kitten with a ball of yarn.

Bill is already helping others. Taking from him would be a selfish act. Giving it away would only start a debate as to who would be worthy. That's no different than the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Back