Steve Jobs resigns as Apple's CEO

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Well, this has spiced up an otherwise slow news day: Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple. Effective immediately, former COO Tim Cook will oversee Cupertino's day-to-day operations as the new chief executive. Although Jobs will step down from the helm, he has asked to serve as the chairman of Apple's board.

The iconic figure has struggled with various medical conditions through his tenure in Cupertino, battling pancreatic cancer in 2004 and undergoing a liver transplant in April 2009. Jobs has been on medical leave since January 2011, a year plus after returning from the transplant, so his resignation isn't entirely unforeseen.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," Jobs said in a public letter. Considering Jobs' immense contributions and visionary-like status, many will question Apple's future. However, Jobs said he believes the company has its "brightest and most innovative days" ahead of it.

Tim Cook served as interim CEO while Jobs attended to his health, and as a 13-year veteran at the company, he should be well groomed for the role. In today's press release, Apple's board said it has "complete confidence" that Cook is the right person to lead the company. Cook also received Jobs' recommendation and you couldn't ask for a better endorsement than that. We've included Jobs' full letter below:

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

Permalink to story.

Wow. i was NOT expecting that. It won't ever be the same. However, it is very comforting to know his is chairman of the board.

NTAPRO said:
Hopefully Cook doesn't get blamed if things start to go wrong at first...

Yeah its probably a bad time to take over with iPhone market share on the decline.

Crazy. I wish Steve all the best.

HAHA... my random question was none other than, What company is responsible for creating the iPod?

Jobs was Apple. Apple was Jobs.

Since Steve Jobs will no longer be leading Apple, I think I will show my love for him by never buying another Apple product!

I'm not sure its all that surprising. Jobs hasn't held the reigns at most of the last Apple announcements and big events. He's been having Cook in the spotlight for a while. Him staying on as Chairman is still good news. When he vacates that position it may be more worrysome for Apple, but provided that doesn't happen in the next year or 2 I think Apple will be ok.

Never really like apple products, but I hope this has nothing to do with declining health.

steve wozniak should be given this position, not tim cook. considering steve wozniak actually made apple and steve jobs took over for steve wozniak, wozniak is back with apple as far as i know right now. give it to him not cook :/

Steve said:
NTAPRO said:
Hopefully Cook doesn't get blamed if things start to go wrong at first...

Yeah its probably a bad time to take over with iPhone market share on the decline.

Amazing, right here on TS, Steve agrees that Cook has his work cut out for him. Thank you for visiting, Mr. Jobs.

ampfeare said:
steve wozniak should be given this position, not tim cook. considering steve wozniak actually made apple and steve jobs took over for steve wozniak, wozniak is back with apple as far as i know right now. give it to him not cook :/
Wozniak left the company in the late 80s and has said he has no interest in being a CEO type...

I actually am not that surprised. He has had cancer, and if you know anyone that's been through that, it really is completely life changing. Technically you are never really "cured" you still have to go back at least every six months to make sure it doesn't come back. I don't really like apple that much, but I kind of feel bad for the guy.

All I wanted for him to do was change his damn turtleneck, but he had to go and resign instead. Touche Mr. Jobs.

Since Steve Jobs will no longer be leading Apple, I think I will show my love for him by never buying another Apple product!

In my personal opinion, I don't think that showing your love for Steve Jobs by not buying any Apple products is the right way to go. Heck, if everyone felt as you, Apple would soon be declaring bankruptcy.

I'm sure Mr. Jobs wants his soon to be former company to survive and grow and gain "cutting edge" status. Don't stop buying Apple products just because Mr. Jobs has made a choice to step down, much like Mr. Bill Gates did at Microsoft. You don't see the world stopping it's purchases of Microsoft products just because Mr. Gates departed.

Things may appear to be a bit bumpy for Apple during this transition, it's almost always the case, same was true for Microsoft when Mr. Gates stepped down. But in the long run, like Microsoft did, Apple will bounce back, maybe better than ever, who knows!

Go and enjoy life steve , buy a bike and go ride the country side , you have done more than enough for Apple time for some R&R ...

Love him or hate, he made a difference, allot more then any of us will ever achieve. Given his health he lasted longer then i expected. Its crazy that he still wants to work, if i were in his position I'd live it up whilst I could, all the best

So... when the iPhone 5 breaks due to, of course, we "holding it wrong," do we email tcook@apple.com now?

But seriously though, he will certainly be missed. I might not like Apple, but Steve has always been a visionary, and nothing will change that.

Who honestly thinks that someone in that position would stay there forever anyway? It's stressful and not to mention him already with his health issues, this is a good thing. Besides, I'm sure he'll still influence Apple in other ways we might not know. Good luck Mr. Jobs

I sincerely wish Steve Jobs the best of health he could ever enjoy for the rest of his life.Thank you for the emulation you created in the computer business.

Back