Stop 0x24

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago, I started my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, XP Home) and received a Stop 0x00000024, NTFS.sys BSOD error. I re-tried in safe mode, but with no success - still can't get beyond that error message.

I have looked in various places for guidance, including the sticky at the top of this forum, and the best I have found is an old thread on this website, although I realise that many of the posts are very old. Apologies, I can't link this thread properly due to a restriction on "no links in your first five posts", so please copy & paste:
techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-5352-cannot-boot-xp-ntfssys-blue-screen-0x00000024.html

I have followed the guidance from "Rio" on page 3 of that thread (essentially, I used Recovery Console to copy NTFS.sys from my Windows XP CD to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) and have tried removing and replacing RAM (removed each stick individually, and tried booting with the other in place) but that made no difference. I am now left in much the same situation as before, although I seem to get a mix of 0x24, 0x50 and 0x0A errors now, seemingly at random.

Can anyone give me any guidance?

Have you run harddrive diagnostics? If not find the make of your harddrive and go to its manufacture's website. They should provide you with a free harddrive diagnostic utility. Run both short and long tests. Don't skip the long test(s). Yes, they take time but are essential.

Thanks for the reply. Couple of questions - firstly, how do I find out the make of my hard drive? And secondly, would I be able to run the diagnostics without being able to get into windows?

I should add that I ran chkdsk via the recovery console, and it "fixed one or more errors", but still getting Stop 0x24 error.

I should add that I ran chkdsk via the recovery console, and it "fixed one or more errors", but still getting Stop 0x24 error.

Okay, then running a harddrive diagnostic is even more imperative. To be safe back up all your important documents to CD/DVD and/or flash drives. I usually do both.

If you can open up your system the manufacturer of your harddrive should be on it.

Another way is to download the free and niffty utility called SIW (System Information for Windows). It should tell you the make of your harddrive.

Everything is backed up as recently as last weekend, so I'm fairly well prepared for the hard drive to be ruined.

I have another PC with XP on it, would I be able to take the hard drive out of this one and put it in the other PC to test it that way? I tend to stay away from messing about with hardware, so I have no idea if this is easy / advisable, but I presume that would let me view the drive if it isn't faulty and run diagnostics etc.

Yes. This is called slaving a harddrive whereby the system you slave it to will run diagnostics off of the main harddrive of that PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back