Stop Error Code 0x00000096

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbaird

HI-
I have a problem that seems to have NO fix. I have never posted on a site like this before- so please be patient with me if I fail to include all the information that you need the first time around.
I have 5 Dell Optiplex 320s- XP Pro
They all have been having sporadic Blue Screen Error problems. 2 of them are having them much more frequently than others.
Here is the error info from my Event Log:
Randi Baird: "Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 4/17/2009
Time: 7:54:43 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JENNW
Description:
Error code 00000096, parameter1 867751b0, parameter2 8055b17c, parameter3 8055b140, param"
eter4 8056bd32.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018:
20 30 30 30 30 30 30 39 0000009
0020: 36 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 6 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 38 36 eters 86
0030: 37 37 35 31 62 30 2c 20 7751b0,
0038: 38 30 35 35 62 31 37 63 8055b17c
0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 35 62 31 , 8055b1
0048: 34
30 2c 20 38 30 35 36 40, 8056
0050: 62 64 33 32 bd32

I have been in contact with Dell (which, by the way, is a waste of time)- and these are the steps I have performed under their guidance:
1. Run system diagnostics: All tests passed. Which I realize made Dell think my warranty with them didn’t matter. They suggested that I reinstall the system. I would like this to be LAST option if possible. Especially considering I have 5 of these.
2. Uninstall and reinstall memory card into a new slot. Due to the “memory dump” portion of the error code- one guy thought it was a memory problem and I should do this step.
3. Clear Error Log- I did this- I’m not sure why or what it did… but it got me to reboot- which ended my chat session with them- which I believe was the goal of the Dell Rep…
4. Run Crash Analysis Tool. It seems that there is a driver missing called NavEx15.Sys. It is related to my Symantec software. But I cannot find a place to download the driver. BUT- the blue screen errors were occurring prior to the new Symantec software was installed. I don’t see how this missing driver could be the cause of my concern… but I do see where it is necessary to fix it. On that note- I have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on all the PCs on my network.
Okay- Back to the issue. Blue screen error messages 0x000000096 – but its not always the same verbiage. Its ONLY happening on my optiplex 320s. I have 50 some PCs on our network- and I have 4 others that were purchased at the same time as these- with no stop error message problems.
I am sure I am forgetting important information that anyone would need to help me- so just let me know what it is- and I will get it for you. I appreciate ANY help. I just need to get these fixed as it seems to be getting worse and more frequent. One had it happen 4 times last week…
Thank you in advance-
Randi

Not much information out there is there!?

The information from MS seems to suggest hardware failure / incompatibility.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms819378.aspx

So... in your diagnostics...
Did you do Memtest?
How thorough did you test your drive for errors?
Sometimes the software from the Manufacturer can detect errors when ChkDsk cannot.
"seems to be getting worse and more frequent."

I think either memory or hd failures may show up this way.

Thank you for replying to me so soon- I really appreciate it!

There is NOTHING out there. I also found that link by MS- but it refers to Windows 2000- I wasnt sure if that would be relevant to this one or not... The computers were bought in 2007.

I did a full diagnostic on all parts through the F12 menu at start up- She instructed me to run a "Confidence Scan" but I scanned everything fully to be safe. All green check marks- and PASSED tests. She told me to scan the hard drive and the system board under "custom". I just did everything else too while I was there. Nothing showed as being problematic.

Info on Bug Check 0x96: INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795529.aspx

You may receive Stop error 0x96 in Windows 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884587/

Using the Dell™ Driver Reset Tool
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=78668
Or directly here: http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/R92578.EXE
The Dell Driver Reset Tool can help fix problems caused by corrupt or updated device drivers in Microsoft® Windows® XP
Note: The Dell Driver Reset Tool is not compatible with Microsoft® Windows Vista®.

All your Dell latest drivers can also be found here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100658.html

But here's my opinion on the matter ;)

Uninstall your Norton Antivirus
Run the Norton Removal tool
Restart
Install Avira free AntiVirus
Update it
Run a full scan

Any further issues see here: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

I am on a corporate account. I dont have options for Anti-Virus. We have endpoint distributed throughout our network.

I will try the Dell Driver Tool and report back...

Thanks
Actually I've never used the Dell driver reset tool, it would be interesting to get some feedback :grinthumb

I downloaded and ran the tool. It gave me a small box that said basically "all is ok". Does that rule out a driver problem then?

In the meantime- I went through the Event Log again and found an error message that is VERY frequent leading up to the System Error that seems to be causing the Blue Screen. Here is the info on that:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: GCO
Event ID: 44044
Date: 4/20/2009
Time: 1:05:17 PM
Description:
I2c return failed
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 2b 00 00 00 0c ac 00 c0 +....¬.À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

It appears to happen frequently. I understand it has something to do with net framework- but I dont know how that might be related- if at all. I am attaching the Event Log. Maybe that will help?

I have noticed that the System Error that has the X96 code shows up in the morning- right around the time the user gets to work. But not EVERY morning.

Ati2mtag is related to the ATI Catalyst drivers. You might be having a driver issue. Have you updated your drivers?
Download and install the latest Catalyst from here and see if it helps.

I downloaded, installed and ran ATI

It said "set up could not find a driver compatible with your system. Set up will now exit"

So- I ran the drive sweeper. It ran and cleaned everything. I rebooted and ran the Dell Driver Tool. It found an ATI Driver that needed to be installed (I am assuming this was removed in a previous step).
As soon as I ok'd the install, it rebooted without a prompt. It came back REALLY slow. Once windows was running and I was logged in- it went to black dos screen with a simple white cursor at the top- and that was it. Windows came back on its own... and then want BACK to the dos screen again. Windows again came back- but has been flickering and acting weird since. I went to the Event Viewer- those two DOS screens showed up as an error just like for with the ATI

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: GCO
Event ID: 44044
Date: 4/21/2009
Time: 4:00:57 PM
Description:
I2c return failed
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 2b 00 00 00 0c ac 00 c0 +....¬.À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Whatever I did- it didnt like it. I havent had the blue screen happen again. But this error isnt going away in the meantime. I went the to link above next- and all it wanted me to download was a Dell Support program.

I am at a loss... Did I do something wrong?

Also- I noticed that first 0x...96 error that shows in history happened on the infamous 4/1/09 date. Should I be worried that there is some kind of virus that might be causing this?

Download and install the latest Catalyst from here and see if it helps.
No that's semi normal.
When you remove the Video card drivers, your system will be slow, just download the ATI drivers again (in blue writing in the quote) and re-install the drivers

After restart (sometimes 2 restarts) from installing the drivers, it should speed up again.

Once you have done that, please run a CheckDisk info H E R E, then report back :)

Edit:
Yes it could be a Virus, lets just do the above first

I followed all the steps last night. As soon as the scan completed (assumingly without problems, as I wasnt here any longer) that error code threw again for ATI. Same code.

Now- the computer right next to this one- which is the SAME computer- is doing the same thing. BSOD at start up this morning and multiple ATI errors throughout.

The problem is spreading...

Couple of side notes:
1. I do not notice a trend with ATI error. It still seems sporadic on each PC.
2. The x96 System Error that causes the BSOD happens in the morning, as soon as the user logs on- and they log into our DMS program that is web based (ADP Web Suite).
3. These PCs are all on IE 6.0 still due to incompatibility with that IE and specific business sites that are needed for job function. We are working today to see if we can upgrade the IE to 7.0 in hopes that that might help. I think that Firefox would be better- but again, it is incompatible with certain sites we use.
4. The PC that started this same issue hasnt been in use for the last 4 days- until today really. That user is on vacation. It is only being used because I have been on this on trying to fix it.

Thank you again for your help- I am at such a loss. I dont know what to do with these things.

Thanks for writing back so clearly

From what I gather, it would seem that there may have been an update (possibly MS) on the other computer

I wonder if you could check all your Events in Control Panel > Administrative Tools

By the way, I'm thinking that IE7 will fix it, only because I know that IE6 will fault on some web pages and I believe including some at TechSpot !

Hi "Rbaird". Have you found any solution yet? Today I ran into the same problem. Had exactly the same BSOD, same machine, no changes so far. And: Yes, IE6 installed.
Let me know if you had any luck in the meantime.
Thanks!

Dimitri Vlaanderen

Same problem here with Optiplex 320

I found this thread because I am also having the same issue with the Optiplex 320 systems. One of my clients bought 20 of the same Optiplex 320's at the same time. This was back in 2007, right out of the box we had about 7 or 8 or them having blue screen issues. The same random blue screen about once per week. That issue finally went away after Dell released an "urgent" video card update and I applied it to all 20 systems. I had not seen a blue screen from them again until about a month to a month and a half ago. It started with 3 systems having the crashes again and has now grown to 8 systems crashing about once a week. These are not all the same 8 we originally had issues with. I have tracked the error down to the same 0x96 stop code and I aslo have the ati2mtag errors in the logs. The machine I'm writing this from has had 5 0x96 BSOD in the last month and several hundred of the ati2mtag errors. I can't say directly that the ati2mtag errors preceed the bsod because several times there is an hour or more between the last ati2mtag error and the crash. I still do believe the bsods are related to video issues. I was going to call Dell today, but it sounds as if that will be a waste of time. I guess I'll try looking for a newer video driver and see where that goes. Any new options would be helpful. Thanks
For more info, the systems are XP SP3, IE7, 2gb Ram, Office 2007 Sp2, Symantec Endpoint 11.0.4202.
Update: We were running the ATI ver 8.593.100.0 driver on the systems. I am downloading and installing the new ATI ver 9.3 driver.

problem possibly identified

Gentlemen,
I have been having the same issue with an Optiplex gx745/755. I don't get a blue screen, but instead my computer reboots on itself. Looking at the minidump files i see a bug error 0x96.. You know what is interesting? what we all have in common? Symantec Endpoint! We just recently upgraded to Endpoint and this problem began. I ran the Dell Crash Analysis Tool (DCAT) (which can be found here: ftp.us.dell.com/app/R120895.EXe After running the scan, which only takes about 2 seconds.. it points to the file NavEx15.sys as being a problem file. I did some looking into this, and the file NavEx15.sys is a part of the zipped definition file which is downloaded from the server when the server sends updated definitions to the client. (this explains why they randomly bluescreen/reboot) This has been known to cause problems when either the definitions become corrupted or the related registry keys get corrupted.. so far, i have not been able to resolve this issue. It seem's that the IT department has to update Symantec Endpoint on the server side. Reinstalling the managed client will not solve the issue. Hope this helps.

Symantec EndPoint Protection for Sure

Gentelmen, I'm 99% sure it is a Symantec End Point protection issue.

We have Dell OptiPlex 745/755/ GX620 ,mixture of Dell PC which I'm looking after for about 3 years now.
They never ever caused any problems, they are all with INTEL integrated Video cards.
We have migrated antivirus about a month ago to Symantec End Point protection 11.
After a first week i started getting phone calls about .... INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM blue screens with error 0x00000096.
I knew that this must be related to Symantec because this was the only one change that was made to these systems except windows updates.

I did not do my research yet, I did not have spare time to investigate an issue till today.

I'm going to work with Security Department who actually controls the management console for SEP and hopefully I'll be able to get you some results.

Regards,

BSOD 96 / EndPoint

Hello Gents.
We also are having issues with a bunch of Optiplex 320's and ... same bsod 96 at random times. often near a symantec endpoint update... ?!!

I found an article on the symantec website, relating to BSOD's with optiplex 320's that were supposed to be fixed in the MR4 release of symantec endpoint protection.

[Sorry I can't post URL yet!] but go on Symantec's support site and search for this:
Blue screen error on Dell Optiplex 320 desktops
[It's the title of the article]

But we are running MR5 and are still getting those.

I also remember (pre-mr4) getting a lot of sysplant.sys related bsod's.
we disabled the application and device protection from our package and those have stopped I believe completely since MR5. But enough to have suspicions that endpoint might be behind another, possibly different bsod now. (might be the issue that was triggering the old sysplant.sys to fail... ) but since we no longer use it it fails elsewhere... )

It honestly goes over my program debugging / memory tracing abilities ...
(I'm no symantec engineer!)

(out of 55 320's I have 46 that have minidumps with either video related bsod's or that invalid workque item (bugcheck 96) )

Has anyone found the solution to this issue?

Thanks.

Just started getting this error on one of our Dell Optiplex 320's. Running latest versions of Symantec EP on server as well as client. Going to try to update the vid drivers first and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back