Sudden fps drop

Hello everyone,

recenlty my computer started having fps drops on every single game and I dont know why, I removed the antivirus, defragmented hard disks , I even reinstalled windows and I m getting desparate on this. What other possible solutions do I have to ?

Running an alienware m17x r3

nvidia gtx 580m

16gb of ram

2860qm 2.5 ghz

I m not sure if this is the problem or if it helps but this is a sceenshot of the task manager while the fps drop happens ( http://oi46.tinypic.com/24opssg.jpg )
24opssg.jpg

note that this "fps drop" does not happen only on gaming, but while doing much simplier things lets say right click on desktop .... ( it takes some extra seconds to show the results of right clicking )

please help

When the lag happens again, click on the 'processes' tab and order by CPU usage. Post screenshot.

Well they were updated before formating windows, after the formating I installed the "proper" / latest nvidia driver that dell provides , to check if it was better with no results

I even changed the settings on nvidia control panel just to be using the nvidia card on everything rather than choosing between the intel one and the nvidia ( by going to control panel global settings ) ....... still no results

Try the latest that NVIDIA provides. Also try disabling onboard graphics in your BIOS.

As I said, I had the latest and I still lagged :) ....so it is not the drivers ....

what do you mean on your second part of your answer and how I do that ? thanks for replying btw ( if you mean by disabling it by pressing f2 when the computer starts , then this option is either not available or I cant find it or I m doing something wrong )

The drivers on Dell website aren't always the latest. Compare the version numbers.

As for the 2nd part: Yes, F2 or a similar key while the laptop is starting up will bring you to a page with all kinds of computer info/options. I'm not exactly sure where the graphics option is, or if you can disable it there on a Dell.

I m pretty sure you cant, otherwise I would find it ...... so I guess I m stuck with this problem forever as it seems nothing is fixing it >.>

here I have a video for you showing what I mean with the "fps" drop ,( you can understand when the fps happens with the audio as well )

it clearly shows that the fps drop happens when it tries to load something "new" or whatever , I m not sure about this and I have no idea what it is causing this, you can notice the fps drop on the start of the video and on the 0:40 and onwards ....

to really give you a good idea of what is happening, this fps drop occurs when something "new" is going to happen, lets say when an explosion is going to happen in call of duty , or when I use an ability in smite that needs to make some visual effects, or even on simplier things , like showing the results of right clicking on desktop and such .....

Why it can't be? This proves you don't know nothing.
Last time I checked, a faulty / malfunctioning mouse will not cause lag spikes in video games.

Now, does this happen at all graphical settings when playing games? It could be your HDD.

Last time I checked, a faulty / malfunctioning mouse will not cause lag spikes in video games.

Now, does this happen at all graphical settings when playing games? It could be your HDD.
I don't know what caused his problem, but my problem is similar, the only way to fix it was get a new mouse. Please do not assume if it never happened to you.

I've seen the mouse cause graphical issues before (USB specifically) and I've even see things as silly as a firewire cord plugged in with no device on the other end causing system hiccups. Can't say something is impossible, just improbable. I've even seen games not launch because there were no headphones or speakers plugged in... and with no visible error message at that!

un

it happens even if I play everything on low settings, settings doesnt really matters ....what could I do if it is the hdd ?

I don't know what caused his problem, but my problem is similar, the only way to fix it was get a new mouse. Please do not assume if it never happened to you.
I have seen it... like Papa said, it is mainly in USB mice because of the low frequencies.

If nothing works, re-installed the game and see what happens. Your PC seems fine to me, in case the game causes it. Everything could happen.

If nothing works, re-installed the game and see what happens. Your PC seems fine to me, in case the game causes it. Everything could happen.

as I said above mate, it is not only on games, but on much simplier things , for example I m right clicking desktop and takes an extra or two seconds to show

It could be your mouse.."could be" Why don't you use another mouse..

unplugged the mouse and run some tests, still nothing :/ .... I m really getting desparate on this one . I m really thinking of getting it to dell

A failing hard drive could cause hangs and lag spikes. Seems similar to what the OP is experiencing.

Lol sorry, I went through lots of threads.

hmmm, Let's try the tricks..

This might or might not work, but it doesn't kill you to try.

Run>msconfig>Boot>Advanced Options> Check: Number of Processors> Set it max.

Start>My Computer<Advanced system settings>Performance Settings> Adjust for best Perfomance

Start>My Computer<Advanced system settings> Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual memory Change..>Unchecked Automatically manage paging file..>Custom size> Put the number it recommends

Start>Control Panel> Administrative tools>Local Security Policy>Administrative Templates>Network>BranchCache>Configure BranchCache for network files> Enable it and set it 20.

Restart your PC, and do a system quick scan..bomb..Good luck!

Back