Sudden FPS drop

I have a gtx 980m, it usually could run dying light on max settings at 60% gpu usage with vsync on at 60 fps .I'm not really sure if it's the runtimes or directx I've installed from my recent game's package or if it's the game itself but now I have my game running the gpu on full load while causing fps drops which causes it to overheat. the cpu isnt holding it back as Dying light isnt really a cpu demanding game, the cpu is constantly on 20-40%. I've tried playing other games to see if this issue is still affecting other games. I tried GTA V, everything was fine. vsync was on, it was on max settings and at a constant 60 fps at 70% load until I turned on msaa, it dropped to 40 fps at 100% load. When I turned it off, it continued to stay at 100% load at 40 fps. I dont think its ram cause there isnt any demanding background processes nor do I think it is the reading speed of the hard drive it has as it has 30 gb free space. What is the problem?

Last edited:
If you want to approach this as a driver issue, remove old with DDU and then download fresh ones from nVidia.

However, you did say 100% load, 'overheat' - so my best guess is that the video cooling needs cleaning and fresh TIM after you confirm cooling fan is in full operation. Dust bunnies under the vent hood are a likely offender.

Check YouTube for videos on cleaning your specific make/model machine. Buy necessary supplies. Have at it (or take it to an independent repair shop with good reviews).

If you want to approach this as a driver issue, remove old with DDU and then download fresh ones from nVidia.

However, you did say 100% load, 'overheat' - so my best guess is that the video cooling needs cleaning and fresh TIM after you confirm cooling fan is in full operation. Dust bunnies under the vent hood are a likely offender.

Check YouTube for videos on cleaning your specific make/model machine. Buy necessary supplies. Have at it (or take it to an independent repair shop with good reviews).

no it only ever overheats when it goes to 100% which it shouldnt for this game. over heating isnt the problem as it doesnt overheat aslong as vsync is on and the gpu is under 90% load

Please clarify: OS?, make / model laptop?, age?, last cleaned?, HDD size and percentage of free space?
Windows 10 64 bit. ASUS ROG G751JY, 2 years, never cleaned, 1tb, 100GB free space.
I really dont think the temps are affecting the gpu tho. why would it thermal throttle if it wouldnt go onto 100% load in the first place?

Back