Suddenly Unhidden System Files

Allieraptor

Hi there! Bronni from virus/malware said my system was clean and that my next step should be to ask ya'll why my system is acting ....odd.

Two days ago my hidden system files suddenly became viewable. I didn't know that that was what had happened until Broni brought it to my attention. All I knew is I suddenly had too odd files on my desktop. So of course like an ***** I went into omg mode and deleted them. I think Broni talked me through the process of fixing the missing files. I think. lol

However, yesterday upon a reboot, a user system file that should be hidden suddenly appeared on my desktop. Even though I had changed to setting to hide them. So I'm not sure what's going on but I know I don't like sudden behavior changes in my system. :)

Any help you can send my way would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I'm on a ZT computer operating Windows 7.

While I'm almost certain you've already done this, I'll just throw it out there just to be doubly certain.
Go to Windows Explorer, then click on Organize.

Under Folder Options, make sure the following are checked:

-Don't show hidden files, folders or drive
-Hide extensions for known file types
-Hide protected operating system files

Does anybody else use your PC, by the way?

Yes I have, but I did it again just to make certain. All of the above actions had been selected. No one but me uses this machine. I'm very protective. lol

If it's a matter of one system file becoming visible, I'd right-click on its icon, select Properties, and then check Hidden under Attributes.

Of course, this doesn't explain why the file is showing, but may as well test if it makes a difference. I suspect you may have a corrupted file somewhere.

Oh no...I tried to made the folder hidden. now half of my desktop icons have disappeared and my firefox won't run. I don't know what is going on. Should I do a system restore to an earlier date and see if that fixes the issue.

Ok...I went and made my hidden folders visible again. Then changed the action I had done previously. Now my folders are back where they should be and viewable/useable.

Now, the only problem is still that User folder that suddenly appeared on my desktop. Originally I had two folders show up suddenly . They were named Desktop.ini (both of them) I freaked when I saw them and just deleted them. Then ran all my virus checks. I understand from Broni that I should NOT have done that.

The contents of one of those Desktop.ini folders was as follows:

[.shellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,21779
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll, -12688
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-113
IconFile%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-236

I also have an issue with Safe mode. When I try to access safe mode it puts me into a boot disk screen. When I hit ESC it loads like normal. I think Broni had me do some windows restore file programs but it did not fix the issue. However I'm not sure what he had me do. I just do it. lol

Hope the above info is useful. Sorry I did not fill you in on it from the beginning. My only excuse is ... well I left half my brain in bed when I woke up this morning. ;)

I have several clean restore points that I created. Not the auto points. Would you like for me to do that?

I am with Dawn you have a corrupt file . Your best bet would be . To try one of your clean system restores, See if this helps. If not. You may try running a windows repair.

Well I completed my system restore. The folder went away on my desktop so that's fine. However, when I try to access Safe Mode I am still getting routed to a Boot Device screen. IT says the following:

Please select Boot device:
CDROM: PS-HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12L
SATA: 3M-ST2000DL003 - 9VT166

Sorry , Not sure here. But you could try setting it to boot from the hard drive. See if that works.

So just to be clear before I do this. When I go into safe mode and it gives me the boot device window...you want me to select the SATA option?

No, he means going into the BIOS and setting the hard drive (which is the SATA device apparently) as the first boot device. Setting the hard drive as the first boot device is not the same as selecting the hard drive in safe mode.

Yes...I am. I tap the F8 key on a restart. Just an update...last night after using TFC cleaner to dump some of the temp files on my system...my computer froze. I had to shut it down. Upon the system reboot...it gave me the menu for safe mode or normal mode. I selected normal mode. It booted fine. I restarted to see if I could get back to the same menu options. It took me to the same boot device window.

In regard to the BIOS. I'm not touching my BIOS without specific instructions. I know just enough to screw something up big time.

There is another way to get into safe mode. You would need to go into the control panel. Then click on Administrative Tools. Once this window opens .Scroll down to System Configuration. Then click on it. Once it opens. Click on the boot tab. Then check mark safe mode. Then reboot the computer. This should take you into safe mode. To get back to a regular windows boot.You will need to un check safe mode in System Configuration. Under the boot tab. As far as why you can not get into safe mode from the F8 key. It maybe the way the computer was setup from the factory.

I'll give this a try. However, I have accessed Safe Mode via the F8 key several times prior to this issue. At first, I thought I had gotten a virus. However, Broni here in the Virus/Malware section looked over everything for me. I'm clean. It's odd that my system seems to have developed these weird glitches out of no where. I had hoped that the system restore would resolve the issue. I'm afraid I have a corrupted file within my OS that is going to eventually cause me to have to reinstall from the ground up. I soooo don't want to do that if I can avoid it. *sigh*

Buy off chance it could be the keyboard, Causing this problem with the F8 key problems. Try switching out keyboards and see if that solves the problem.. If not you may have a corrupt file with in windows and at one point need to set windows back to a factory install. With this in mine. Start backing things you want up to DVD or a Flash Drive or another hard drive. This way if it comes to that. You will have your personal stuff.

I'd do as Cobalt006 suggests and back up any important personal files. Also, Windows 7 has a built-in file checking tool you may want to peruse. The tool basically seeks out corrupted or missing system files, then replaces or repairs these when necessary.

You can read more about sfc/scannow here and here. I used this tool for a friend's PC once. Worked fine. I'd urge you to read up on it, though, before attempting to use it.

Tried the keyboard change. Didn't help. Got the same boot device menu. Thank you for the windows 7 repair instructions. I will try and get back to you.

Back