Sugar doesn't melt -- it decomposes, scientists demonstrate

Archean

Flying in the face of years of scientific belief, University of Illinois researchers have demonstrated that sugar doesn't melt, it decomposes.

A humble pie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for well you know who ........... ;)

There was no link... Did they do it in an oxygen free environment? If so that is kind of interesting. Although, its organic, rather than a more "pure" substance, so then again I'm not too surprised it can't hold its composition at higher temps.

I remember in elementary school they teach you about the 3 states of matter (later learn the 4th) and that everything has them. I always wondered about wood....

Then if it decomposes why then does it seem to settle at my waste line? :confused: Inquiring minds want to know. :approve:

Then if it decomposes why then does it seem to settle at my waste line? :confused: Inquiring minds want to know. :approve:
Actually, I don't believe that it does. Your body runs on the sugar, while it saves "lipids" for later. Sadly, later never seems to come. Now Broccoli, THAT decomposes.........Phew...

Broccoli, beer,and clams together might rapidly decompose, leading to the generation of heat, possibly leading up to, "spontaneous combustion"...:rolleyes: The addition of sugar and yeast could lead to an explosive mix, earning you the, "man explodes" headline, on the front page of the "Star".

I think I'll try selling this s*** to PBS, by pitching a show called, "Silly Nova".

Well, I think you got SNGX1275 with that one 2.

Now that I've revisited the photo, I do see the little hand. Meh, that could just open the image in its own window, so there.

Yes, I tried to Print Screen and paste the image showing that hand, but unfortunately windows doesn't want to recognize the existence of 'informed hand' in the resulting image :(

Back