Suggestion for new wireless router

fw2004

Hi;
I have an old D-Link 802.11G router which I use upstairs, since the Verizon FIOS G1100 puts in such a weak signal upstairs that I can't get more than 24Mbps on 2.5Ghz from it. I can get 54Mbps from the old D-Link (DI-724U).
Even when I am downstairs next to the FIOS router, I only get 74Mbps on 2.5Ghz with my LG Fiesta TracFone (which does not have 5Ghz capability). I am assuming that the speed restriction on the FIOS router is due to overcrowding on the 2.5Ghz band. Using a WiFi scanner, I can see that there are a dozen other signals on 2.5Ghz.

I have been having intermittent disconnect problems with devices connected to the D-Link router. It seems to be a problem with all devices - iPhone 7+, and my LG Fiesta. Suddenly says that no internet is available on this router. When I try another app on the phone, I find that it too cannot connect. Disconnecting and re-connecting to the same router usually fixes the problem.

My first course of action is to replace the obsolete D-Link router. I need something that can give me at least 802.11n. I prefer dual-band, so phones with 5Ghz capability can use that band instead of the crowded 2.5Ghz band.
Looking at Amazon, and other sites I am a bit overwhelmed. So many choices, and all seem to have at least one serious caveat that reviewers complain about.
I need a router that will provide a reliable WiFi connection, as well as Gigabit through wired LAN. The main (FIOS) router supports Gigabit, and my main PC has a Gigabit Ethernet port. Not that I'm expecting Gigabit speed on the wired PC, but I should be able to get higher than 100Mbps.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
FW

TP Link C2300.. its about $140. Three Antennae - Very good coverage! ( Note, due to security concerns, you should always replace your router every 4-5 years anyway)
Very easy router to setup!

Last edited:
TP Link C2300.. its about $140. Three Antennae - Very good coverage! ( Note, due to security concerns, you should always replace your router every 4-5 years anyway)
Very easy router to setup!
Thanks for the recommendation. Liked the reviews I read, so I ordered the C2300 from NewEgg for about $135.

Back