Super Mario Bros. second trailer reveals Donkey Kong, Princess Peach, and more of Chris...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The upcoming Super Mario Bros. Movie has been dividing opinions online, as is always the case when beloved video games get turned into movies/cartoons/TV shows. Nintendo's famous Italian plumbers don't arrive on the big screen until April next year, but we've just been handed a second trailer to dissect.

The first Super Mario Bros. Movie trailer that landed last month put most of the spotlight on the Jack Black-voiced Bowser. The new clip gives us more of Mario, whose choice of voice actor—Chris Pratt—has proved divisive. The mustachioed hero doesn't speak very many lines in his controversial accent, so make of it what you will.

The trailer is also the debut of Princess Peach, voiced by Anya Taylor-Joy, best known for her role as chess prodigy Beth Harmon in The Queen's Gambit. There's also Luigi, voiced by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Charlie Day, and Seth Rogen's Donkey Kong—redesigned for the first time since making the jump to 3D—who is seen smacking Mario around a bit.

The movie's other voice actors include Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek, and Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike.

The new trailer has plenty of hat tips toward various Mario games, including Donkey Kong and Smash Bros. There's also the Mario Kart reference at the end as the character drive along Rainbow Road. It can't be denied that it all looks very visually impressive.

There is plenty of controversy over The Super Mario Bros. Movie, from Chris Pratt's voice to Mario's ass—or lack thereof. It's not been on the same level as the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, which ended up being delayed so the animators could change Sonic's design following the outcry. Ultimately, of course, that ended up being one best-reviewed movies based on a video game, and its sequel did even better.

The two trailers suggest the movie will be closer in quality to Sonic than the live-action Super Mario Bros. from 1993, but we'll see. All will be revealed on April 7, 2023.

Permalink to story.

The very first one was great but since then they have left a little more to desire ...... another sign of old age??

Princess Peach's part, where she is a girl-boss, warrior, and has to train Mario... Are we really doing this? I mean Mario always saved Princess Peach, that was the theme of nearly every Mario game. The princess has been rather helpless with the exception of a few titles where she was a playable character. I don't care that there are "strong women" or female characters in movies, but why does everything have to recreate female characters these days to show no weakness? Why isn't Mario, the hero, training Peach to keep her from getting kidnapped next time? I mean do we really live in a world where women know everything, and men know nothing? Are women really stronger and more skilled than men? That theme is getting very old.

To answer the question of how the movie will perform, it is going to do very well. Mario has a ton of fans, some will be upset, some will like it, but at the end of the day, its Mario and every parent is going to take their kids to see the movie. It will likely be Illumination's biggest box office film ever, or at least close. Despite my complaint above, I'm planning to see the movie with my two daughters opening weekend. And it's been over a year since I have gone to the theatre to see a movie.

Last edited:
Princess Peach's part, where she is a girl-boss, warrior, and has to train Mario... Are we really doing this? I mean Mario always saved Princess Peach, that was the theme of nearly every Mario game. The princess has been rather helpless with the exception of a few titles where she was a playable character. I don't care that there are "strong women" or female characters in movies, but why does everything have to recreate female characters these days to show no weakness? Why isn't Mario, the hero, training Peach to keep her from getting kidnapped next time? I mean do we really live in a world where women know everything, and men know nothing? Are women really stronger and more skilled than men? That theme is getting very old.

To answer the question of how the movie will perform, it is going to do very well. Mario has a ton of fans, some will be upset, some will like it, but at the end of the day, its Mario and every parent is going to take their kids to see the movie. It will likely be Illumination's biggest box office film ever, or at least close. Despite my complaint above, I'm planning to see the movie with my two daughters opening weekend. And it's been over a year since I have gone to the theatre to see a movie.

Mario is an outsider to the Mushroom kingdom in this movie, I'm guessing he was brought there by accident, they were expecting a big hero, so Peach is just having to do with what she has. That would be my guess. After almost 40 years of kidnapped Peach, game after game, I don't mind her actually doing something to protect her kingdom.

Mario is an outsider to the Mushroom kingdom in this movie, I'm guessing he was brought there by accident, they were expecting a big hero, so Peach is just having to do with what she has. That would be my guess. After almost 40 years of kidnapped Peach, game after game, I don't mind her actually doing something to protect her kingdom.
If this did not happen in some form in basically every modern 'remake' or in this case, a retelling of the Mario story, it would be kind of an interesting plot device and fun twist. The problem is, it's worn out and it was obviously going to be this way because it's almost like writers are afraid to make a woman look weak in any way. So here we now have Peach, wielding a battle-axe and training bumbling Mario. It is just as everyone expected because that's how trope 'girl-boss' has become. I'm still optimistic about the movie, I think it will be fun, especially to watch with my girls. I'm not shocked at all, I fully expected Mary Sue Peach, but I was still hoping for better.

Last edited:
Back