Surface division performs strongly as Microsoft posts $23 billion quarterly revenue

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has announced their quarterly financial results for the period ending September 30th (fiscal Q1 2015), posting $5.48 billion in operating income and $4.5 billion in net income on the back of $23.2 billion in revenue.

Compared to the same period last year, Microsoft's overall revenue has increased by 25%, although net income is down 14%. In the company's financial report, they lay the blame for lower income on $1.14 billion of "integration and restructuring expenses" relating to the acquisition of Nokia's Devices and Services business.

The good news for Microsoft is that their Surface division performed strongly, posting an increase in revenue of 127% on the same period last year. Thanks to the success of the Surface Pro 3, the division posted $908 million in revenue with positive gross margin, and is on track to be Microsoft's next billion dollar business.

The recently-acquired Lumia division is doing well, with Microsoft selling 9.3 million handsets in the quarter, a 6% increase on fiscal Q1 2014. Microsoft also revealed they have sold 2.4 million Xboxes this quarter, although they didn't specify how many of those were Xbox Ones.

As for other divisions, Microsoft's server group revenue jumped 13%, while commercial cloud revenue rose by a huge 128%. More people are now subscribed to Office 365 as well, while Windows volume licensing revenue increased by 10%.

With Microsoft set to launch Windows 10 next year, the company's next 12 months will be critical if they are to see further growth.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft is dead.
/s
If by "dead", you mean, "Alive and thriving", then yes, they are dead. As dead as Google, and Apple I would add.

LOL!! To @scorpian007 ... you've just seen a post about the billions in revenue and in your hate-wagon with the windows closed all you could think to yourself was "mmm yeah they are doing poorly and died". Thanks for the laugh kid.

I've wanted to get a surface, those are kind of hard to get in Chile though, and are expensive as hell compared to the states. After my experience with the Dell Venue 8 pro that rebooted itself until it wouldn't turn on again I've wanted to get my hands on one of these.

I've wanted to get a surface, those are kind of hard to get in Chile though, and are expensive as hell compared to the states. After my experience with the Dell Venue 8 pro that rebooted itself until it wouldn't turn on again I've wanted to get my hands on one of these.
Same here in South Africa. Funny really, because Microsoft South Africa has all the latest toys for their staff, they just don't sell them here. Guess they want to target the biggest markets first and see how they do. I would import one from the US, but the costs involved would be astronomical, and I think MS is almost there, just not quite enough for me to splash out that kind of cash just yet. So I'll wait one more release cycle and get the Surface Pro 4, which should be a 100% fanless design and be even more impressive. The surge in Surface sales is testament to the business value of one of these things, and while the tablet market seems to be stagnant with signs of decline I reckon these types of business slates (I say business, but they can be used for everything, if you can afford one :p) will be popular going forward. The iPad and Galaxy slates just cant compete functionality wise, hence the hefty price on the Surface (which is basically a laptop in tablet guise), so they will always be great for the basic stuff, unless MS decides to release a slimmed down Surface (hopefully not Windows RT though), in which case Apple and Samsung are in trouble.

For those that don't know, /s mean sarcasm; which means all of you are hating on scorpian007 for nothing.

Microsoft South Africa has all the latest toys for their staff, they just don't sell them here.

What I learnt from Dell support is that they don't sell the windows tablet in Chile because of technical support problems.

For those that don't know, /s mean sarcasm; which means all of you are hating on scorpian007 for nothing.

Yeah I was wondering what that /S meant :p

For those of you who don't know how to count in billions, the civilized way of indicating sarcasm is > :rolleyes: (Bold text used for clarity).

Back