Surround sound not working after Windows 7 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hi all

Recently, i decided to upgrade my operating system from Windows XP to Windows 7.

Everything is working fine, apart from my surround sound. I have the Logitech X-530 speakers and Realtek HD Audio.

For some unknowen reason. Only 2 of my speakers and my sub are working. No matter how i set everything up, i cannot get all of the speakers to work. They all worked perfectly fine in Windows XP. Everything in Windows and in the Sound Drivers is set up for 5.1.

I can get all my speakers working if i turn on Speaker Fill in my drivers, but that does not sound very good and i didnt have to do that in XP.

Why can i not get my surround sound working properly in Windows 7? Does anyone else have this issue?

BTW, i have tried using diferent drivers for my sound chip including the latest ones for Windows 7 but nothing works.

hmm, if you could get all working in "speaker fill" mode then i guess the driver has no problem... do you mean you can't get surround sound in audios like mp3s or you can't get surround sound in games and movies?

I cant get it anywhere. Mp3s, Games, Movies..

Though i forgot to mention, that when i run the speaker test in windows or the drivers. All my speakers seem to work in the test only.

hmm that's weird. im also using Realtek HD in both my computers but i've not acquired win7 yet. but sometimes 5.1 did not work in some games, or windows media player.

well actually for mp3 you'll have to use speaker fill, but for DVDs, they have their own 5.1 and by default even wmp should work. have u tried some DVDs?

yeah, ive tried some dvd's. They dont work in 5.1 either. Its strange. Because my friend also has Windows 7 and the Realtek HD chip. But his surround sound works fine. Maybe its something to do with the motherboard or chipset?

My friend has the XFX 790i Ultra Motherboard and i have a cheap Asus M2N68-AM Plus with the nforce 630a chipset.

for some reason it can happens. and it's difficult to solve either.

i have a desktop with D946G board that doesn't detect any of my microphones. recently it dies so i upgraded to Gigabyte G31 board uses Realtek HD chip, same luck. i tried using X-Fi 5.1 usb, as well as X-Fi Xtreme Audio. none of these 4 chips detect any microphone! even tried removing jumpers, install xp home instead of pro but no luck.

well i guess you're just unlucky like me? try some more voices from the pro. i already gave up on my desktop.

RE: no surround in Win 7

I have very similar problem. Using the test in the Realtek controls all 7 speakers work just fine (I have 6.1). Also, when playing a sound file that has surround in it in VLC it works just fine. But anything else- no surround. No mp3 playback in WMP or Nero, no movie surround. I only get 2 speakers and the sub.

Anyone with insight feel free to chime in.

I'm using "Vista Win 7" Realtek driver

I finally had to set "Sound Effects" to "Room" and adjust the front/center to -10db and the rear to +10db. Doesn't sound stellar but at least the surround works with everything I throw at it. Hope this helps.

Also make sure you're using latest Realtek drivers (currently 2.35)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back