Survey finds that 47 percent of parents worry their child is addicted to mobile devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Several former technology executives and engineers have voiced opinions regarding the potential dangers of modern technology. Unsurprisingly, experts aren’t the only ones that are concerned.

According to a new survey (PDF) from Common Sense Media and SurveyMonkey, 47 percent of parents with children under the age of 18 who use a mobile device believe their child is addicted to the device. Among that same group, half said they are at least somewhat concerned that their child’s mobile device use is negatively affecting their mental health.

The survey further reveals that 60 percent of parents said their child has their own mobile device that is connected to the Internet while 14 percent said their child shares a device with someone else. As for who is responsible for limiting children’s time spent on devices, 89 percent of parents whose children use mobile devices said the duty fall on them.

“For as much attention as technology addiction receives among adults, parents—particularly those with teenagers—are far more concerned about their children's device usage than their own,” said Jon Cohen, chief research officer with SurveyMonkey.

Indeed, the survey data validates Cohen’s statement as only 32 percent of respondents said they believe they are addicted to their mobile devices.

The Center for Humane Technology earlier this month joined forces with Common Sense Media on an ad campaign targeting 55,000 public schools across the US. Dubbed The Truth About Tech, it hopes to educate teachers, students and parents about the potential dangers of modern technology and social media.

The survey referenced in this article was conducted between January 25 and January 29 and includes responses from 4,201 adults including 1,024 parents with children under the age of 18.

Lead image via Thanasis Zovoilis, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

True...I got to admit, my niece is addicted to her tablet when she eats, and she is only 2 and a half years old.

Concerned for the next generation of kids..

At least they are admitting they are at fault for allowing their own kids. What were the answers when asked what they plan to do to correct their own issue?

Isn't the survey incredibly meaningless? One parent's opinion on what constitutes phone addiction could be vastly different to the next parent.

This study proves... that some parents worry more about their children? I see no real facts here.

My gfs sisters kid stares at his tablet all day, he just turned 4 and can barely talk at all, he grunts mostly. My sisters son is not allowed to use any electronic devices including television and he was talking more at 2-3 then this kid at 4.

Everyone who was worried their kid was an addicts should have their kids taken away. They know there's a problem and wont do anything about it so they really don't care about nothing but own comfort and aren't capable of being decent parents. Parents don't need to be perfect but I wouldn't let these people to watch my dog; "oh it's eating raisin chocolate, better not stop it as it clearly wants it".

I really think that giving electronic devices to kids early on will really limit their learning capabilities. My niece for instance who is 2 and a half years old is noticeably behind the rest of her kids in her class at her creche.

I think when it comes to kids, you really got to wait till they are quite old before you hand them any electronic device of their own. You might use the tablet to show your kids videos while they eat so they don't cry so much, but you are actually getting your kid to develop a really bad habit and limiting their learning capabilities.

Everyone who was worried their kid was an addicts should have their kids taken away. They know there's a problem and wont do anything about it so they really don't care about nothing but own comfort and aren't capable of being decent parents. Parents don't need to be perfect but I wouldn't let these people to watch my dog; "oh it's eating raisin chocolate, better not stop it as it clearly wants it".
Gotta agree with you. Don;t get me wrong, my sister does treat her kid well in all other aspects, its just their policy of handing her kid the tablet every time she wants to cry that really annoys me

I really think that giving electronic devices to kids early on will really limit their learning capabilities. My niece for instance who is 2 and a half years old is noticeably behind the rest of her kids in her class at her creche.
it depends on the content I think. I have a 3 year old niece that was born premature and she is actually smarter than all the other regular kids and she grew up learning everything from an iPad whereas the other kids didn't have electronics growing up. Just don't let them access useless stuff

Back