Survey: Nearly a quarter of Windows PC users say they are switching to Mac

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

According to market research group Verto Analytics, 25 percent of Windows PC owners and 21 percent of Windows laptop owners are planning to switch to macOS. The firm conducted a survey among adult PC users asking them if they planned to buy an Apple as their next computer (either laptop or desktop) in the next 6 to 24 months.

A surprising number of respondents (from a sample of 6,000 current Windows PC owners) said they were going to purchase a Mac or MacBook in the next six months. The company proposed a similar question to Apple owners, asking if they planned to switch to Windows for their next computer. Somewhat less surprising, only two percent said they were going to switch to PC.

According to the data, those with incomes higher than $150,000 per year are the most likely consumers to switch to Apple. Twenty percent of those surveyed in that income bracket are buying a Mac. Oddly, the data also shows that the second most likely income bracket to make the shift is those making under $15,000 per year at 14 percent.

“However, a further drilldown shows that these lower income respondents are also in their teens [18-19] or twenties, suggesting parental assistance,” says Verto. Those making between $30 - 40,000 per year were the least likely to be purchasing an Apple computer or laptop at just seven percent.

The results of this survey appear to show a shift away from Microsoft toward Apple, but could the data be skewed in some way? According to Microsoft, last holiday season they posted the best sales numbers ever for the Surface line of computers.

"The combination of excitement for the innovation of Surface coupled with the disappointment of the new MacBook Pro – especially among professionals – is leading more and more people to make the switch to Surface."

If Redmond powerhouse’s blog is to be believed, “More people are switching from Macs to Surface than ever before,” not the other way around. We're also hearing a lot from professionals who used to favor the Mac Pro, they're switching to Windows due to the accessible hardware in multiple configurations and the different upgrade paths.

Microsoft also called the MacBook Pro a “disappointment,” which helped Surface sales. While Apple's latest laptop refresh did come with its fair share of criticism, it still earned an aggregate review score of 82. Only five out of 69 reviews of the 13” MacBook Pro were categorized as “bad.”

So is Verto’s data off or is Microsoft puffing themselves up to make the Surface look better than it really is? We’ll have to wait to see where this trend goes over the next few months and this upcoming holiday season.

Permalink to story.

Honestly my only gripe now with Winders is their whole OS as a Service approach. I totally get it, but at the same time it is bloating fast with a ton of features that I just won't use.

I also doubt the results of this survey. It's going against the actual numbers we've seen so far and the general consensus that the latest apple products aren't really good.

Biggest issue is that most PC users are laptop users, and most laptop makers are garbage. credit to apple for making consistently just reliable computers, and having at least usable customer service - this coming from a diehard windows user.

I also doubt the results of this survey. It's going against the actual numbers we've seen so far and the general consensus that the latest apple products aren't really good.
I'm with you as well. What product has been released to drive this mass adoption to OSX/APPLE?

I'm with you as well. What product has been released to drive this mass adoption to OSX/APPLE?

Windows 10.

At day's end, however, most of these people will just stick with Windows 7 on whatever hardware they currently own. Windows 10 is killing the new PC market and the whole industry is looking for an exit from the Microsoft ecosystem. If a few big name companies got behind a really friendly *nix it could happen VERY quickly. Full AMD and Nvidia support would be essential but the bigger hurdle would be settling on a common distro that doesn't favor any one company's products or services.

Windows 10.

At day's end, however, most of these people will just stick with Windows 7 on whatever hardware they currently own. Windows 10 is killing the new PC market and the whole industry is looking for an exit from the Microsoft ecosystem. If a few big name companies got behind a really friendly *nix it could happen VERY quickly. Full AMD and Nvidia support would be essential but the bigger hurdle would be settling on a common distro that doesn't favor any one company's products or services.
just because you don't like that windows 10's colors don't match your drapes doesn't mean that the PC market is failing. in case you didn't know the majority don't even care about windows 10 or windows 7. the PC market has actually seen growth for the first time in many years.

Honestly my only gripe now with Winders is their whole OS as a Service approach. I totally get it, but at the same time it is bloating fast with a ton of features that I just won't use.
You totally get it? Yeah, I totally get it also. Microsoft wants to make money off you and me from the cradle to the grave. And they don't make any secret about that. I still have a love for Microsoft Windows but I've become awfully cozy with Linux Mint lately. It's a hell of a fine operating system. I've been using LibreOffice Calc and it's amazing. At least in my opinion. Microsoft Office not required. Pay a subscription for Microsoft Office? Not if I can help it.

The bottom line is I have choices. If the core of Windows 10, that is the operating system itself, ever becomes subscription based they better have damn good reason to believe a majority of people will accept that. I don't think I can.

Explain me why users are changing from one closed source, overpriced, spying operating system to the other?

Linux based OSs (Mint, ElementaryOS etc) can be drop in replacement for micro$oftt or crApple for FREE (as in free beer). Need an office suite? Try LibreOffice (also free). Need a new desktop environment? There are dozens to make your OS look different. My 70+ year old mum could use Mint Linux after upgrading from XP. Did I mention that the hardware requirements are much lower? So try Linux, embrace the Tux!!!

I have a few Macs, but find myself using my PC more. Mostly because Apple can't support a decent 3D standard for gaming, and I'm becoming very weary of the poor performance.

Blame windows 10 partly to this. I found the OS aggresive. When windows 7 will reach EOL we will move to macs. Now that I am getting older and a family guy, I will have less time for assembling, fixing, troubleshooting and DIY fixes PCs. I am also the unofficial technical support of family, relatives and friends when it comes with their pc and windows laptop. I dont charge them as I dont want to treat them different. Lately ive been telling them to just buy a macbook or mac air and get the extra applecare. They hold their value and is usable even after 5 years. I hope Apple will improve the development of external gpus. I think that is the reason why gamers are yet to move. It was announced this year. And about the price, depends on how is your spending habits. Dont force yourself into something you can't buy. There is apple financing but I have not yet to try. If you have a student in the family the you can have the discount.

Spending my free time with kids and being more productive was my goal for this year. Kids grew up fast. It will be different if I am still single and I have all the time in the world.

Either my maths is totally haywire or something is seriously wrong with this survey. The highest percentage for any one group of those who want to switch is 20% yet the average over all groups for switching from desktop is 25%, and from laptop is 21%? How does that work out? What is the other option they didn't mention that can be the only thing that brings the overall switching percentage down to 20%?

Windows 10.

Except Win10 is almost 2 years old. If people were making this switch and can afford Apple products they'd have done so in the past already. Win 7 is still in extended support thru 2020 so this "survey" is most likely a biased sample with flawed methodology.

Whenever I get ticked off with M$ (and that's pretty regularly) I always vow to switch to Linux but never have, sanity eventually prevails. If you're an Apple user, you're likely to remain so and if you're a Windows user, the same thing applies. All people are creatures of habit and try to resist change at all costs, it's in our DNA, but you do get the odd few that will switch.
Like the 1st poster said... 25% say they'll switch but those that actually do so will likely be less than 1%.

Just after the "free" Win 10 upgrade, I had over 50 of my repair customers call wanting to revert to Win 7, and that was the writing on the wall to me. For the 'fortunate' few that wanted to use the restore to 7 function, they all found that it did not work the same, and all of the people wound up having me do re-installs (fresh) to get over the debacle! MS has just plain ignored users with unsecure, near beta releases (Win XP: 2 service packs; win 7 1 service pack and a thinly disguised second one as a 'cumulative' update). Just how long MS thinks that people are going to put up with their prying invasive releases like Win 10 is beyond me. Unfortunately I had to keep 7 for rpairs on other pc's, but have it dual boot to Linux Mint, which is free, secure, and powerful! I can recover just about any file in a crashed win sys thru Mint. Going Apple is kind of a foot shooter, when there are so many Linux free OS' out there (Though I seriously prefer Mint!)

Carping about a system you don't own or have never used? Can you spell B I G O T? Use whatever you like and move on. Throwing water balloons over the fence at your neighbor is childish. :mad:(n)

This survey might be garbage but if it was true I would understand. I keep having worse and worse experience with Windows 10. It feels more rushed and buggy and inconsistent with every big update. Microsofts idea of what an OS should be is something I think majority don't agree with.

Back