Switchback VR uses eye tracking to make the game scarier every time you blink

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: British developer Supermassive Games is working on a horror game that utilizes modern VR technology in new and exciting ways. Using the PlayStation VR2's eye-tracking technology, Switchback VR at times utilizes a unique gameplay mechanic in which enemies only move or advance on you when you blink your eyes. Keep your eyes open and you'll be safe… maybe. Spatial audio helps pinpoint which enemies are closest so you can take them out in an orderly fashion.

The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR is described as a fast-paced roller coaster horror-shooter with a twist. Set in the Dark Pictures Anthology universe as a spiritual successor to Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, the game is essentially a series of nightmares that play out with you strapped into the front seat of a roller coaster - all while drifting in and out of consciousness during a near-death experience following a train crash.

Each track has multiple paths, ensuring that no two runs will be the same. From distorted apparitions on a ghost ship to witches, vampires and a serial killer out for blood, it seemingly has all the nightmare fuel.

Alejandro Arque Gallardo, game director at Supermassive, teased another innovative use of eye tracking that works in a completely different way.

Supermassive is also taking advantage of PS VR2's haptics to intensify immersion and make players feel like they are actually in the moment. From the clanking of the coaster as it climbs a steep hill and the kick of your gun to the wind blowing on your hands, you will feel it all. Some enemies will even have the ability to make their presence felt through haptics, allowing you to physically feel the fear.

The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR launches on March 15 for PlayStation VR2 and is available to pre-order now for $39.99. Sony's PS VR2, meanwhile, drops on February 22 starting at $549.99.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Sounds cool, but... at this point there's no way I'm buying a VR headset that's locked to 1 platform.

sounds like sony should be shutdown for their exclusives… wait… what? microsoft activision deal? weird.
And what's your point?

Mine is that I can do more with another VR headset (as I can use it on other, more open platforms).

sounds like sony should be shutdown for their exclusives… wait… what? microsoft activision deal? weird.
dumbest strawman ever. The Activision deal likely won't go through and Sony actually invested in and created developers to make games for their platforms going back into the 90's. There is a difference between building a company up and investing in original content and buying a company to take content away from another platform.

Getting mad at Sony for its exclusives is like getting made at MS for creating halo and keeping it on xBox. That's a proper equivalent argument.

But when one company wants to buy literally the biggest gaming company to remove content from another platform that had been previously available, that's when things get eff'd up.

And what's your point?

Mine is that I can do more with another VR headset (as I can use it on other, more open platforms).
the VR1, while not offically supported on PC, does work. Early tests of the VR2 show that the signal is not encrypted so an opensource driver is theoretically a possible. Considering that the VR1 has a working open source PC drive I'd put money on the VR2 getting support. However, I think VR games and controls are stupid in general so whatever.

the VR1, while not offically supported on PC, does work. Early tests of the VR2 show that the signal is not encrypted so an opensource driver is theoretically a possible. Considering that the VR1 has a working open source PC drive I'd put money on the VR2 getting support. However, I think VR games and controls are stupid in general so whatever.
In that case, the unique features won't translate over to PC. I would love to see Sony officially support it on PC just so they can move more hardware (helping the space in general).
But then the other problem is that VR games bought on PS5 won't be able to be controlled like on PC. VR1 games are already getting shafted (not backwards compatible).

I do enjoy playing in VR because of the VR specific controls (dunno what controls you're referring to)... as long as it fits properly. Arcade games make the best use of the hardware (where you just have to worry about the tools/weapons you're holding).
I could spend hours (if my arms hold up) playing a polished archer game lol

In that case, the unique features won't translate over to PC. I would love to see Sony officially support it on PC just so they can move more hardware (helping the space in general).
But then the other problem is that VR games bought on PS5 won't be able to be controlled like on PC. VR1 games are already getting shafted (not backwards compatible).

I do enjoy playing in VR because of the VR specific controls (dunno what controls you're referring to)... as long as it fits properly. Arcade games make the best use of the hardware (where you just have to worry about the tools/weapons you're holding).
I could spend hours (if my arms hold up) playing a polished archer game lol
I do find it weird that Sony put no effort into trying to make an emulated way of running PSVR1 games on PSVR2, it's a crying shame that a library as large as that is now dead.

I do find it weird that Sony put no effort into trying to make an emulated way of running PSVR1 games on PSVR2, it's a crying shame that a library as large as that is now dead.

think the give the game developers some tools - but we are talking Sony after all

Sneaky VR. Watching whether you're watching to surprise you at the right moment. Kinda reminds me of this cat:

Back