Sync Audio Between Two PC's

JesseM

I have been trying to find an elegant solution to play synchronized music throughout my house on my two computers. My first attempt involved a WinAmp plugin called SyncBoss, which worked OK but the audio skipped occasionally and it required me to use WinAmp as my media player (I like to use iTunes).

After searching around a bit more I stumbled upon what sounded like a much smoother and more versatile solution which uses Logitech Media Server and Softsqueeze (see http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387891/play-audio-on-multiple-pcs-in-sync). After much research and trial-and-error I can't figure out how to configure this software to sync my two computers together over my wireless network.

Has anyone used Squeezebox software to sync audio between two computers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You have two computers and you want to play the exact same songs at the exact same time, from both? Why?

You have two computers and you want to play the exact same songs at the exact same time, from both? Why?

So I can listen to music throughout my house without wires and without buying a bunch of audio equipment.

I did get the SoftSqueeze thing up and running but it's super glitchy and laggy. I wonder if I'm still doing something wrong or if the software just has lots of bugs.

Well, what's your current setup? Two PC's, each attached to their own speakers?

Using Teamviewer you can have the sound output to both PCs.

Well, what's your current setup? Two PC's, each attached to their own speakers?

That is correct. The main (host) computer has my music library and the client computer is a small netbook, and each has their own set of speakers.

Using Teamviewer you can have the sound output to both PCs.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of it. However, I'm going to guess there will be too much lag for this application. Any lag greater than about 40 ms will make music echo and sound pretty horrible. The two solutions I've tried so far both automatically synchronize the music playing from each computer to the millisecond. I'll give it a try though.

See, you're taking into account the lag between the streams, but you're not taking physics into account. :(

Two completely different audio systems at opposite ends of the house will sound horrible. The attenuation from walls and the delay from the distance won't make a pleasant experience.

Two completely different audio systems at opposite ends of the house will sound horrible.

I did consider the physics, but it sounded great when I had it working earlier. It's a small house and the only thing between the rooms is an open hallway. I've heard of plenty of people doing this, even between different floors and such.

Problem solved. I got rid of SoftSqueeze and replaced it with SqueezePlay (downloaded from http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.8) and now everything is running very well. There is a manual delay setting to eliminate lag and changing anything on either computer changes both, and it automatically has all my playlists and album art from iTunes.

WELL DONE! Thanks for the feedback which will help others from your experience(s). :)

Back