System 32 error in start up Windows XP

I've system 32 error on my starting up my PC. It said " missing or corrupt C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system". Once I pressed "r" to repair , it makes to restart the PC. I'm using dual boots : Windows XP professional and Ubuntu 9.04. I tried to find Recovery Console with F8 but I can't find any. I also gave command on "Boots Using Last Known Good Configuration" but it just gave me the same error message. I don't have Windows Recovery CD and don't want to mess with prompt coding too. One thing is that I can access to drive C: through Ubuntu. Is there anything I can do in my situation? One of my friends suggest to use Regcure to fix automatically. Since I can't even start the Windows, how am I suppose to run the software? Is that a stupid question?? Anyway, Please help me by showing steps by steps if possible. Thanks a lot!

One thing is that I can access to drive C: through Ubuntu.
let me get the references for you - - - DO NOTHING until you get my follow-up.

this is easily fixed as long as the HD and partition are healthy.

* Jobeard and I crossposted... You are in good hands with him!*

Generally we would not recommend the "automatic registry fixing" programs,
as they often cause more harm than good, and almost always make unneeded recommendations.

When you are trying to deal with a problem, you don't need to compound it with Regcure, imho.

two steps
see this link to make system bootable

Notice near the bootom the use of
C:\Windows\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

this will prompt for you to identify which restore point to use for recovery
Chose one a day or two ago.

Thank you all for your information. I'm gonna give it a try starting with Recovery console. So, it means after using Restore point, the Windows will recover right? No more steps and fixing? Alright, have a good day!

Back