Inactive "System Check" virus/malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I've started up my computer and have discovered I have the System Check virus which actually was a relief as I genuinely thought my drives were actually corrupted. I'm not a complete computer retard but partially, I have recently restored my laptop completely to get rid of possible viruses because it was getting quite slow and so have no idea how this system check virus has happened.

Anyway, after reading posts I am still unsure as to what to do as there is absolutely NOTHING on my laptop at the moment apart from this bogus system check crap that is trying to make me put in my card details.

But what I am asking is can someone please kindly let me know how to get rid of this crap! A dummies guide please

Thank you SOOO much in advance, this website is amazing!

Amanda

We aim to please, Amanda- right now we're running a special on the "System Check" malware! I don't mean to make light of this bad boy, but there are several rogue malware programs very active now doing a number on systems!

But I'd like to know just what you are experiencing. For instance:
If you are infected with System Check it is important that you do not delete any files from your Temp folder or use any temp file cleaners
  • System Check is a fake (Rogue) computer analysis and optimization program.
  • The 'alerts' tell you the problems have lead to corrupt and missing data
  • It will display false error messages and security warnings.
  • It "hides" Icons, desktop, programs and files so that they appear to be missing and some programs can't be run
  • The malware is configured to automatically start when you logon to Windows.
  • It can also be started if you click on any of these alerts.
Note: You may not experience all of the above, but it is important to tell me what problems you do have.
============================================
About this:
I have recently restored my laptop completely to get rid of possible viruses because it was getting quite slow and so have no idea how this system check virus has happened.
And this:
there is absolutely NOTHING on my laptop at the moment apart from this bogus system check crap that is trying to make me put in my card details.
If you have connected to the internet just one time, that's how it could have happened! This can be installed through hacked sites that exploit vulnerabilities on the system or through fake online scanner pages.

Or if you put files back on the restored system that might have been infected, they could reinfect the system.

I will mention though that asking for card details is not usually a part of the particular malware.
==========================
So let's get some idea of what happening:

IF you are 'missing' icons, desktop, programs, etc. the following should make them visible again:
Download Unhide.exe and save to the desktop.
  • Double-click on Unhide.exe icon to run the program.
  • This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives.
Note please that this does not remove the malware- only the attribute. So it's important that you continue.
========================================
Please follow these steps: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
======================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.
If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back