System Restore fails

Kelly H

Hello: Last week I began having problems with my network and was not able to access network files. Later that day, I got a BSOD. I wish I had come here but alas, I read that I should try to restore my computer to an earlier date. Figured I could do that. When it was done I received an error message that said the restore failed and noted IEproxy.dll file was missing. I sort of gave up and figured I never use IE anyway. But I have still been having lots of problems. So tonight I tried to restore it again to a different (earlier) date. After completing the restore, I got the same error message that none of my files had been restored. Restore failed to extract the file c:\programfiles(x86)\commonfiles\microsoftshared\vgx\vgx.dll. It said it had been deleted during the restore?

HP Probook4540s Win 7

Please help! Thanks.

Kelly

Right off the bat, I am concerned that you have some kind of malware. Do you have any anti-malware up to date and working? Have you scanned recently? Results?

Malwarebytes found nothing on this scan. It found some things when I ran it last week but successfully quarantined them.

You may wish to start a new thread in the anti-malware forum, and let Broni help you.
He is our resident expert on malware.
You'll / he'll probably want your log from your previous run of MBAM.
But follow the steps you find here
then post a new thread with your logs, per the instructions.
If it turns out not to be malware,
then it is likely JOBeard may be able to help you with your network issues.

"problems with my network and was not able to access network files", "BSOD", "But I have still been having lots of problems. ", restore not working, a couple of files gone missing.

Based on the description, I wonder if Malwarebytes was thorough enough. If this does not fall in place quickly, then you should go next door for Virus & Malware Removal. I use Malwarebytes and Avira and PSI - and I still wonder. B00kWyrm's suggestion is very appropriate.

Because of the range of issues if it isn't malware and I am looking at the hardware possibilities, I would suspect an early stage of failure for your HDD. There may be diagnostics available at HP or from the maker for the HDD to check the SMART status of your drive. I use SpeedFan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedFan).

Other than that, System Restore can be blocked by an over-aggressive anti-virus like Norton and it may need to be run in Safe Mode if there are conflicts with other programs. If you noted any error codes, then you might be able to track this down.

Repairing the lost files and chasing any bad ones out can be done with SFC (System File Checker). See:

You had a BSOD and you might want to start a new topic about that (see the 'sticky' at the top of this forum for instructions).

About a year ago, I was traveling for business and my computer was in its bag but sticking out of the top when I checked into my hotel. It got set down on the floor and then flopped over and hit the wall pretty hard. I got a BSOD that night. I didn't do anything and it started up fine. I have not had the BSOD again until last week. Not sure if it is related. I started a new thread under Malware removal. Which direction should I pursue first - Malware or the above?

Working with Broni is demanding - take notes as he has very precise requirements. This should be your focus for now.

BSODs happen, but I can tell you I wish I had always written down the error descriptions and error codes.

I would suggest that you find a SMART monitor and do get to checking HDD. Any indication that it is less than 100% should make you confirm your backups.

SFC can wait - first be sure you are malware free.

Kelly, given your last post (#7 in the thread).
Cycloid Torus is absolutely right on the SMART monitor / checking HDD.
Many tools can do this for you. If you have SEATOOLS on your system already, then it is one.
(It is for Seagate drives. Other manufacturers have disktools too.)
Everest by Lavalys (discontinued but still available here), Speedfan, SiSoftware's Sandra,
and others are among the tools that can check the health of your drive.
SMART checking/monitoring can be done without interrupting or interfering with your work with Broni.
(When you said you had issues with your network and mentioned a proxy file, I thought a different issue likely.)

I have seen SFC done as part of the Malware check,
but pretty sure it should be done when and as Broni directs.
If you try to do it ahead of his expectation it may make his work more difficult.

If your HDD is the source of your problem though, rather than malware,
then you may have data at risk.
I believe that taking steps to preserve your files can be done concurrently with your other work.

MBAM may have detected/deleted something relatively inconsequential (PUPs) rather than Malware.
That is the reason I said you'd want that log.

With your BSOD issue, you may have some luck if you have Minidumps enabled.
Check your Windows directory of your boot drive (usually c:).
Scroll through til you find minidumps, and see if you find any files listed.
If you do, and if the dates correlate to your recent BSOD events
then we have some guys skilled with diagnostics there too.
Check the sticky at the top of this page.
Also... Cycloid Torus offers good counsel on working with Broni.
Be careful, and stick with it until HE tells you it is done.
====
Added note:
I am thinking HP probably uses drives from one of the majors...
You can check who made your drive this way...
File Manager -> Right Click on your drive -> Left Click Properties
-> Click the "Hardware" tab. It will tell you who made your drive.
Seagate's Seatools
HGST and here
Hitachi and here
Western Digital
if you need help finding others, let me know.
=====
Note #2
All of these tools are more energetic and interactive.
For a simple quick check, I know nothing better than some of those mentioned above.
They will tell you the current reported health status from the SMART monitoring system.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the time you have taken to explain all of the above. I am working with Broni now and will finish that and then begin your lists. All my data is backed up on Carbonite and if I were to crash, I can retrieve it all - although, I'd prefer that not to happen. I just went through a motherboard failure on my hubby's custom built computer. The restore was not fun. My computer doesn't have as much on it though. Hopefully, the process with Broni will move along and this won't take more than several days (at the most) to accomplish. I'll be back in touch Cycloid Torus and B00kWyrm. :)

Glad you are working on it with Broni. (y)
I looked over your shoulder; Looks like it is going well. (y)
You are in good hands, and he'll help you finish.
Just stay at it until he gives you the all clear. :)

Back