T2085 crashed - time to rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckbcer

My power supply went on my emachine t2085 after 4 years,seems like the motherboard is toast, It has been kind to me,other than what I read on the forums. I want to rebuild a computer while there is still snow on the ground for the next month. I would like to use the existing tower & purchase a ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Model #: P5B & also an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor. Now will this board screw into the housing of the emachine. or would I be better off with this housing, Rosewill R5717 BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case+450W Power Supply. I would like to salvage a lot of the other components on the emachine. I would like to know if the Asus motherboards are any good, I know the sellers says good things about this motherboard. I also want to know if most of the components are interchangeable, CD, DVD drives, my hard drives (Digital Western) & ribbon cable. I also want to know which tower housing should I use. I want to run my satelite TV through my Twinhan 1020a pci card. Any help on this would be much apprieciated.

Your current motherboard is probably of the ATX or Micro-ATX form factor, and assuming your current case will handle an ATX motherboard you can technically use it, however, I would buy a new case.

The opinion of Asus's quality varies among members here from what I can tell. Personally, I have used boards by them in the past and I haven't had any negative experiences. I would happily use an Asus motherboard again.

That said, if I were you I would go with the GA-P35-DS3L. It's $10 less, and it supports higher FSB and RAM frequencies. Also, if you're willing to spend it, I would suggest you buy the E6550 over the E4500, if possible. With an additional 2MB cache and a 533MHz faster FSB, it's well worth the price.

If you're buying the Rosewill R5717 because you think it's a great idea having the PSU bundled with the case, think again. Spare yourself the trip back here asking why your PC is letting off smoke or why your PC won't power on when it's only two days old. Buy a case and PSU separate, or at the very least junk the PSU that comes with the case.

Most motherboards today only come with a single ATA host adapter (this includes the Asus P5B and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L), and so, you might find yourself having to invest in a "PCI Controller Card". The ATA cables you're using for the drives presently will work fine in the new PC, provided that you actually have a host adapter to attach them to.

One other question. When my power supply went on my emachine t2085, I ordered another power supply from ebay, they sent me the wrong one. The one they sent me was a B-Tech PSBT400 (24 pin). It is rated a 400w,10/5a,60/50hz. Now would this be alright, if not what would you recommend? Thanks once again.

Searching for "B-Tech PSBT400" and "PSBT400" yielded no results via search.yahoo.com.

I would suggest something along the lines of the ELT400AWT. It has a solid 40A on the 12v rail, active PFC, 17ms hold up time, 80% efficient and it has any connector you'll need.

How many amps on the 12v rail?

redneckbcer said:
One other question. When my power supply went on my emachine t2085, I ordered another power supply from ebay, they sent me the wrong one. The one they sent me was a B-Tech PSBT400 (24 pin). It is rated a 400w,10/5a,60/50hz. Now would this be alright, if not what would you recommend? Thanks once again.

How many amps does the label show for +12v on the B-Tech PSBT400?

Problem?

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
You do realize that this is a three-month-old thread you have posted in?

Rage_3K_Moiz, yes I know how old the thread is... I was going to buy a power supply like they were talking about and couldn't find out how many amps the output was by researching. This thread is the only thing that shows up in any search engine. So if you don't have an answer (I'm sure you don't) get off me and mind your business before I FLIPOUT on you...

barfoeng said:
Rage_3K_Moiz, yes I know how old the thread is... I was going to buy a power supply like they were talking about and couldn't find out how many amps the output was by researching. This thread is the only thing that shows up in any search engine. So if you don't have an answer (I'm sure you don't) get off me and mind your business before I FLIPOUT on you...

WOW, two whole posts and you're already using CAPITAL LETTERS and THREATENING people. Welcome to Techspot A*******.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back