Tablets of 2011: What to Look For (Holiday update)

I'm personally in the market (and will be) for a Win7 tablet... on to which I can install Win8.
All the same... thanks for the guide!

I want to buy my wife a tablet PC so she can surf the internet on the sofa, maybe play a few games. I don't like apple products much but it seems the iPad2 far outclasses the competition. Anyone got compelling reasons to pick anything else?

AlienOverlord said:
I want to buy my wife a tablet PC so she can surf the internet on the sofa, maybe play a few games. I don't like apple products much but it seems the iPad2 far outclasses the competition. Anyone got compelling reasons to pick anything else?
If you want to buy it for her for Christmas, then yes. Two words: Tegra 3. Two more words: Transformer Prime.

Where is the Acer Iconia? Same specs as Transformer and $100 cheaper.

@Guest, no it's not. The Iconia and the Eee Transformer cost the same and are very similar. We've reviewed both and favor the Eee Transformer. Nonetheless both tablets are present in the article, just click on the arrow on the right.

Dear tablet makers, I have 500 hard-earned Euros sitting in my account waiting for a decent, quad-core tablet.

@Guest: Don't worry, the Transformer Prime will satisfy that need for less than 500.

@AlienOverlord: I'm not trying to start an iPad/Android debate here, but what is it specifically that brings you to that conclusion. It's a matter of personal preference, but having used iOS for years on a small screen, then a lot of experience with the iPad and iPad 2, I found that my ASUS Transformer was a huge upgrade, especially when browsing the web (Flash and everything). Although it's hard to argue with the iOS library of games.

We can clearly see by the chart that the Samsung Galaxy Tab is way better than the iPad.
Samsung has several features not available on the iPad and more memory, higher resolution, usb and flash, therefore the iPad isn't the best

We've got stop going to Apple all the time for our music and tech needs. They didn't invent the tablet, just stole the concept and unfairly dominate the market and won't compete fairly with Samsung by suing them.

How in the world does the Asus come over the Acer? The Acer has USB 2.0 capability (very valuable for added storage, I.E. ext hard drive), and virtually all the same specs as the Asus performance-wise. As of now, it is cheaper than the Asus as well.

I guess my biggest problem is finding an up to date review of Android products. Reading the Samsung review tells me that many things need improvement, but maybe there have been updates to the tablet and the market that I am not aware of because the reviews are old? I also read somewhere that flash is being changed and will run on apple devices but I'm not sure when and how it will perform.
I only have about a week to make my decision but if something considerably better is coming out near Christmas I'd rather delay the purchase. On the other hand, something good is always around the corner...

I am disappointed to see the Toshiba Thrive isn't mentioned. The only tablet with a user-replaceable battery. A bit bulkier than some, but how out-of-shape do you have to be for that to be an issue?
Posted from my Toshiba Thrive

To All the Hubbys out there wanting to get a tablet for their wives-
TOSHIBA THRIVE all the way. It does everything the listed tabs do plus when I want to see something on my big screen tv, I just plug in my HDMI cable and there it is on the big screen. No docks...no minI this or micro that adapters. I thoroughly enjoy lounging on the couch browsing the web, reading emails, watching videos, etc. The extra few ounces makes absolutely no difference.

I just don't see the point of a Tablet. They're priced too high and don't have good specs. In comparison you can pick up a AMD E-450/E-350 Netbook that kills tablets in both software and hardware specs and remains around the same $$. A step further will get you a full out notebook with even better specs for about the same $$. Not to mention the crappy money scamming Os's you get stuck with on a Tablet. Windows 7 is hands down better.

Also, as far as Tablets go the Ipad 2 is pricey and overrated...but then again what Apple product isn't?

Back