Tales from the toolroom - magnets v. wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

The title gives it all away, but at the time I was sitting there wondering why the signal was non-existent over a range of about 20ft, and line of sight too. There were no other devices using the same frequency that I could find so I just happened to notice the pretty pattern of things like fridge magnets attached to the site of the system case - there were a dozen of them looking at me like dead sheeps eyes, and they all took some effort to remove; once that was done the signal strength went back to where it should have been.
Nice little earner there, but I was surprised that this would have such an effect. Did not seem to have any effect on the PC otherwise either.

I've also seen issues where the computer may be on the same wall as the main switchboard (being on the other side of the wall) This has caused interference as well

There was a guide I read somewhere (and it may have just been the manufacturer guide on WiFi) stating not to use it close to high voltage or high magnetic fields, such as those given out by microwave ovens.

I do believe that magnets on computers is not ideal, they are not a fridge :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back