Task manager will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting today, I cannot open Task Manager. An icon is opened in the tray but I cannot click it to get the software opened. If I try to open again, another icon is opened, but I still don't get the software. I've tried reboot twice. I use Vista SP1

Same goes for MS Outlook. Cannot open. No icon in the tray.

Logfile attached,

Thanks

Mats

Sounds like spyware. I recommend the following 3 anti-spyware utilities (allavailable in the Download section at this site:

1) AVG 8
2) Ad-Aware 2008
3) Spybot Search & Destroy

Repost with results.

Best,
-- Andy

Still having problems

Thanks.

I have already run Spybot (with latest updates) and CA's eTrust (with latest updates). But found nothing.

I just now tried to install Ad Aware 2008, but actually the "install" doesn't work either.

So now I cannot (1) run Task manager, (2) run MS Outlook, (3) install programmes

Mats

Well if you can't install programs then its pretty hard to do any spyware removal. In a case like this you're forced to jump to a Windows repair. I usually wait until all or as much of the spyware is removed before doing it. But we have no choice.

Do you have a Windows installation CD that matches the one on your computer? Do you know how to perform a Windows repair?

Best,
-- Andy

The Kellys Korner link above, is not a program install, so this would be the best first option

Otherwise download RatsCheddar (a "StandAlone" program, ie no install)

It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
Save and extract this program to the desktop.
Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
Enable everything, then click Exit
Reboot your Computer.

Do I still have a problem?

CCT: I followed your advice and I now have access to Task Manager. With this fix I also have access to MS Outlook and installation! Thanks

Not sure if there still are problems with my PC.
- What is the 8-strp virus removal process?
- Is there something suspicious in my earlier log file?
- Still makes sense to use RatsCheddar?

I have now also run a deep scan using Ad Aware and found several cookies, nothing worse.

Mats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back