Tech leaders denounce Trump's decision to leave Paris agreement

midian182

Staff member

Yesterday, Donald Trump decided that the US should join Nicaragua and Syria as the only nations not part of the Paris agreement. The move has led to messages from a number of tech CEOs, who have expressed their disappointment at the move.

“We are getting out,” Trump said. “But we will start to negotiate, and we will see if we can make a deal that’s fair. And if we can, that’s great. And if we can’t, that’s fine."

Unlike Nicaragua, which believes the accord doesn’t do enough to protect the environment, and Syria, whose government struggles to take part because of sanctions, Trump's reason for withdrawing from the agreement is to “protect America and its citizens.” He says it's "very unfair, at the highest level, to the United States," and would impose "draconian financial and economic burdens."

As reported yesterday, the decision has led to Elon Musk leaving the presidential councils. Not long after Trump finished his speech, the Tesla boss tweeted: “Am departing presidential councils. Climate change is real. Leaving Paris is not good for America or the world.” He was joined by Disney CEO Robert Iger, who also resigned from the council “as a matter of principle.” IBM CEO Ginni Rometty, however, will remain on Trump’s business advisory council.

Other leaders from the tech world also took to Twitter opposing the move. Apple CEO Tim Cook, who spoke to Trump on Tuesday to try and convince him to remain, wrote: “Decision to withdraw from the #ParisAgreeement was wrong for our planet. Apple is committed to fight climate change and we will never waver.”

Cook also sent an internal note to his employees. “Climate change is real and we all share a responsibility to fight it. I want to reassure you that today’s developments will have no impact on Apple’s efforts to protect the environment,” it read. “Our mission has always been to leave the world better than we found it. We will never waver, because we know that future generations depend on us.”

25 firms including Microsoft, Intel, Apple, and Google, took out a last-minute full-page ad in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal yesterday, promoting the benefits of the agreement.

Twitter boss Jack Dorsey, Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, and many more used social media to attack the President’s decision.

The last time CEOs rallied against Trump like this was after he introduced the immigration ban. With people now leaving his councils, and virtually every company condemning the withdrawal, the relationship between the President and the tech industry has hit a low point. It will, however, take years to fully exit the pact; November 4, 2020 – the day after the next presidential election – to be exact

Permalink to story.

Many Americans, it seems, have gone full retard. I bet a lot of people on these boards remember what it is to be a real Republican...believing in limited, not non-existent, government. WTF happened? 1 guy that isn't completely white and the whole damn party shifted from the right to the insane and retarded. "Science? Who needs that stuff? Climate change is a hoax, and the Earth is 6k years old."

The Defense Department is the biggest entity that seems to understand the threat. I guess we'll need severe, current consequences for many people react to this issue...there may not be enough thoughtful people that can use their intellect to see problems down the road to do anything.

Can we have Trump go to Oregon and get him to state that he is an engineer? I'm curious to see what would happen.

(FYI, this is a reference to a previous article.)

I believe the medical title would be "laughter induced convulsions" or words to that effect

Many Americans, it seems, have gone full retard. I bet a lot of people on these boards remember what it is to be a real Republican...believing in limited, not non-existent, government. WTF happened? 1 guy that isn't completely white and the whole damn party shifted from the right to the insane and retarded. "Science? Who needs that stuff? Climate change is a hoax, and the Earth is 6k years old."

The Defense Department is the biggest entity that seems to understand the threat. I guess we'll need severe, current consequences for many people react to this issue...there may not be enough thoughtful people that can use their intellect to see problems down the road to do anything.

Pittsburg not Paris.

Pittsburg not Paris.

Pathetic quote from the president. You seem to not realize that Paris is in the agreement name because that is where the agreement took place at, not who it protects. It protects us all from the greater threat to Earth and that is climate change. It's like in Game of Thrones, everyone is fighting for the throne but they don't realize that the greater threat is the White Walkers.

Pittsburg not Paris.

Ok...thank you. I really appreciate your post. If you didn't tell me, I would have thought that Pittsburgh and Paris were the same city. I really would have been lost without that bit of insight. I think I've had a revelation from your incredibly insightful comment. It totally changes the conversation!

Pathetic quote from the president. You seem to not realize that Paris is in the agreement name because that is where the agreement took place at, not who it protects. It protects us all from the greater threat to Earth and that is climate change. It's like in Game of Thrones, everyone is fighting for the throne but they don't realize that the greater threat is the White Walkers.

A brief history of the world's climate: It gets very hot and it gets very cold.

One of these cycles results in mass extinctions. The other...well, that was supposed to melt all the ice caps back around 2010. Just like we were supposed to be out of food due to over population by now as well.

Climate change is real. The fearmongering surrounding it isn't.

Ok...thank you. I really appreciate your post. If you didn't tell me, I would have thought that Pittsburgh and Paris were the same city. I really would have been lost without that bit of insight. I think I've had a revelation from your incredibly insightful comment. It totally changes the conversation!

Your insecurity is showing.

A brief history of the world's climate: It gets very hot and it gets very cold.

One of these cycles results in mass extinctions. The other...well, that was supposed to melt all the ice caps back around 2010. Just like we were supposed to be out of food due to over population by now as well.

Climate change is real. The fearmongering surrounding it isn't.

Your insecurity is showing.

Thanks so much for letting me know my insecurity is showing. What should I do about that? Can you help me?

"It gets very hot and it gets very cold." You are confused between weather and climate. It will snow in many places this winter. That still has nothing to do with man made climate change.

I'm glad you conceed climate change is real. I'm not sure what "fearmongering" your talking about. Islands are disappearing, changes in climate are having effects already on the world stage (sustained drought in Syria forced millions of rural people to cities, participating in the reactions leading to Syia's civil war which is effecting the whole world). For my kids/future grandkids, I'd prefer them not to have to deal with as many problems as we are leaving them. The future problems cause by climate change will become more immense without the USA participating, let alone leading, the world's efforts to reform our energy consumption.

Good first step in canceling this whole made up "man made global warming" crap. It's nothing but socialized redistribution of wealth. Taking money from producing states, giving it to the UN or other worthless group, who will shave off 99% for themselves, and MAYBE give a trickle of it to the poor nations of the world, who's thug dictators will keep the rest.
You want to know what changed our temperature? OUR SUN. Just look at the available REAL data on the sunspots over 300 years and you will see a direct comparison of our planets temperatures. We recently ended what is known as the modern maximum, and are in a general decline in sunspot activity. The sun is in a quiet state, which is proven by a LACK of sunspots the past couple years. Ham radio operators can tell you that, because our band conditions have been TERRIBLE. The Maunder minimum, during the later part of the 17th century through the mid 18th, caused the Potomac to FREEZE solid, along with the Thames in England. Then you move to the Dalton minimum, and what we concluded, the modern maximum. Now things are trending LOWER, not higher. But, considering weather "experts" and politicians consider "long term" 2-3 year (or in the case of politicians, the next election cycle), people believe their doom and gloom predictions that say we are all screwed. Algore even said 10 or more years ago that by 2016 we'd all be dead and burned to a crisp, the ice would all melt, and most coastlines would be several feet under water. Well, they didn't, and ice is growing, not melting.
Oh, they use the ice is melting in the arctic...in the SUMMER....and the antarctic in the WINTER (when the sun is angled directly at them).
One good burp from a volcano will screw up the weather more than man could.

Thanks so much for letting me know my insecurity is showing. What should I do about that? Can you help me?

Toxic masculinity fixes 90% of problems in men with low testosterone. Try cutting back on the soy.

You are confused between weather and climate.

So the Cretaceous period was a warm front? Learn to read.

Fluctuating global temperatures over time is climate change. Man irreparably altering that cycle and turning the world into an unlivable planet is the fearmongering.

(sustained drought in Syria forced millions of rural people to cities, participating in the reactions leading to Syia's civil war which is effecting the whole world).

Lesson time, ladies and gentlemen. This ^^^ is what projection looks like.

Just moments before typing this, Scorpion accused me of not knowing the difference between weather and climate. He then immediately cites weather as evidence of climate change, further emphasizing that geopolitics and war is, in fact, intrinsically a part of climate change.

You'll note that this has been a favorite go-to for MMCCBs since around 2013, when "climate as war" first became popular.

None of these thoughts are actually his own. Rather, some official-looking dudes told him some very scary things about the future (not unlike the Vatican back in the day) and he simply evangelizes, being careful to remind us that unbelievers will suffer God's wrath:

[...] Islands are disappearing, changes in climate are having effects already on the world stage [...] For my kids/future grandkids, I'd prefer them not to have to deal with as many problems as we are leaving them. [...] The future problems cause by climate change will become more immense without the USA participating, let alone leading, the world's efforts to reform our energy consumption.

There are people who have meaningful discussions about this topic. And by that I mean people who believe in man made climate change who have productive conversations. This guy surrounds himself with people who agree with him on most issues, and therefore only cites talking points as a result of never having to actually deconstruct the subject matter beyond "I know, right?"

Engage for entertainment purposes only.

I'm not personally entirely opposed to exiting the Paris climate agreement, but what follows is more important. If we can find a new agreement that doesn't amount to "we will save money by not protecting the environment" then awesome. Let's get a better deal for America. But if it just means we will be doing less, then ****

Photographs taken in the Canadian Rockies show glacial recession as far back as 1880-1900 (no photo's earlier), this is past the start of the industrial revolution, but from what I've seen and read though the Earth is definitely in a warming cycle on its own not considering our activities. Getting warmer in fact since the last Ice Age.
One thing I find that is no longer mentioned is deforestation. Not only did we eliminate a great carbon dioxide sink/capture, but the loss of diversity of species has been/is immense.

Hey, we create some jobs now for the dumb american worker and get reelected and let China get the hi tech and specialized workforce of tomorrow. Who cares in a hundred years when all hell will break loose while we are still totally dependent on fossil fuels. Climate change? Fake news.

Oh, and the real reason they are mad at him? They just lost their free ride from America. $3 trillion is what it would have cost the US. And why is it the US has to put money up front, and yet China, one of the WORST climate polluters in the world, would be allowed to increase their emissions every year for the next 13 years? How come we never hear anything about them not following the "rules"? Oh, and India making their participation contingent on receiving billions of dollars in foreign aid from developed countries. And yet, the US is supposed to do the most and spend the most? No, this deal would have sapped more money from the citizens of the US via taxes, stagnated our economy even worse, etc.

Oh, and the real reason they are mad at him? They just lost their free ride from America. $3 trillion is what it would have cost the US. And why is it the US has to put money up front, and yet China, one of the WORST climate polluters in the world, would be allowed to increase their emissions every year for the next 13 years? How come we never hear anything about them not following the "rules"? Oh, and India making their participation contingent on receiving billions of dollars in foreign aid from developed countries. And yet, the US is supposed to do the most and spend the most? No, this deal would have sapped more money from the citizens of the US via taxes, stagnated our economy even worse, etc.

Worth a view:

BTW, our CO2 emissions have declined by 12 percent since 2006. This due to the development of liquefied natural gas. It is a relatively low-pollution, low-cost solution to generating energy

... Just look at the available REAL data on the sunspots over 300 years and you will see a direct comparison of our planets temperatures....

We haven't even been able to accurately study sun spots for 300 years - or are you counting charcoal drawings made while staring through a 1.5-2x pinhole-telescope?

"full retard" is so accurate.

1. The Paris accord has a voluntary self chosen commitment. The 3Bil $ was a choice the US made, not imposed by anyone else. So no threat to sovereignty -Pres Trump flat out LIES/is clueless AF.

2. Bad deal? The USA CHOSE the deal themselves , they chose their own commitment level.

3. Unfair to USA alone? the rest of the world gets a free ride? None of the other countries pulled out, they are all going through the same struggles. China ponied up MORE MONEY than USA , are they benefiting/getting a free ride?

4.Renegotiate the deal? With who? gonna get mother nature at the table and go and grab her by the P***Y Trump?

FML USA your president needs to go back to school.

"Alternative facts" ftw there bud aka BS.
Check the real facts: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...hecking-donald-trumps-statement-withdrawing-/

Is climate change real? Yes as it has always been but the part where people attribute this change largely on man-made pollution is the false part. I bet these are the same people saying it was "global warming" before. The major factor in climate has always been the sun and the major source of CO2 has always been the sea. Nonetheless, keeping the world clean is not such a bad idea and the best case could be to strike a balance where the economy of a country is not entirely sacrificed just to fan the flames of a baseless hysteria.

I think its funny when people compare **** to Game of Thrones. I never watched it so I have no idea what the hell people are talking about.

Back