Tesla begins rolling out '2048' and 'Super Breakout' to customer vehicles

Polycount

Staff
In context: Tesla loves to add goofy, fun, or otherwise eccentric features to its cars. The cars are filled with Easter eggs of all kinds, including amusing re-skins of the central touchscreen's interface, and even a fart mode that replaces turn signal sounds with less-pleasant alternatives.

In the past, Tesla has rolled out classic Atari games to their vehicles, allowing drivers to play titles like Missile Command, Asteroids, and Lunar Lander from the comfort of their seat (but hopefully not while driving). Now, the carmaker is adding two more games: 2048 and Super Breakout.

As is often the case with Tesla vehicle software updates, not everybody will have access to these games right away. Tesla's fleet of cars is pretty large at this point, so don't be surprised if it takes up to a month for you to get your hands on them.

Aside from the obvious safety concerns one might bring up regarding the idea of playing games in a vehicle, the concept is pretty solid. Because Tesla vehicles are electric, owners can expect to spend a lot more time sitting in them idly while their cars restore some juice at the local Supercharger station.

By adding fun little diversions like the games mentioned above, Tesla is helping to take away some of the sting that charging speeds bring. Or perhaps Elon Musk is just having a bit of fun with the idea - it's tough to say these days.

Permalink to story.

This is what happens when you fail to focus on the main task, and start doing something else entirely.

For a car manufacturer, this is just goofy, and not so amusing for the car owners, who want to see main functions improved, like the Autopilot, door closing (on Model X), etc.

It is almost like Tesla is advertising - hey, if you were stupid enough to buy our Tesla, you may as well enjoy some extra goofy package that comes with it!

This is what happens when you fail to focus on the main task, and start doing something else entirely.

For a car manufacturer, this is just goofy, and not so amusing for the car owners, who want to see main functions improved, like the Autopilot, door closing (on Model X), etc.

It is almost like Tesla is advertising - hey, if you were stupid enough to buy our Tesla, you may as well enjoy some extra goofy package that comes with it!

Musk epitomizes the new breed of Silicon Valley corporate culture that arose from the wreckage of the dot-com bust and became fully empowered by social media. These companies uses activism and excessive hipness as distractions from their failings. "Bread and circuses" sums it up pretty well.

Musk epitomizes the new breed of Silicon Valley corporate culture that arose from the wreckage of the dot-com bust and became fully empowered by social media. These companies uses activism and excessive hipness as distractions from their failings. "Bread and circuses" sums it up pretty well.

This is what happens when there is no competition.

When a car is so boring you need to put minigames in it. I know what they can do, add a petrol engine.

Last edited:
More crap to encourage stupid autopilot users to pay even less attention to the car telling them to take the wheel.

I would not say it is activism and hipness. As I see it, it is marketing and a faux impression of Musk that he is some sort of creative genius.

With the latest SEC/Musk dealings in court, Musk is claiming that he was impressed by the judge who told the SEC and Musk to work things out in two weeks. To me, it sounds like Musk is playing to the court and he thinks that what the judge said is specifically directed at the SEC; in other words, I think Musk thinks that the court told the SEC to cave to Musk. That is not going to happen, and the fact that it will not happen is going to be yet another straw on Musk's back. I am betting that Musk will irrecoverably cave soon. According to what I read, the SEC's case could result in Musk being banned from ever running any company again.

Interestingly, I saw an article comparing Musk to Howard Hughes. Time will tell if Musk becomes another Spruce Goose!

Back