Tesla is preparing to announce the Model Y crossover on March 14

Greg S

Why it matters: Tesla's Model Y is the small SUV equivalent to the Model 3. It is intended to be affordable for as many people as possible even though it may carry a somewhat luxurious price tag. It will be the first mass market electric crossover with significant production volume.

Now that Tesla has finally put the Model 3 on sale for the promised price of $35,000, the company is moving on to another model. The Model Y crossover concept is being unveiled at the LA Design Studio on March 14. In addition to the new vehicle, Tesla will also be enabling its third generation Supercharger station later this week.

Model Y is the stripped down and smaller version of a Model X. According to Elon Musk, the Model Y is about 10 percent larger than a Model 3 and will cost around 10 percent more than a Model 3 as well. Due to greater weight, the Model Y will have range slightly lower than the Model 3.

At the March 14 event, Musk has promised that rides in the Model Y will be available, possibly as a referral reward bonus. Since there will be few, if any, restrictions on filming and photography at the event, expect plenty of media to arrive during and after.

Given America's interest in SUVs, crossovers, trucks, and practically anything that is not a four door sedan, Tesla's launch of the Model Y is just as critical as the Model 3's debut.

Based on Musk's brief mention of pricing, expect the Model Y to start right under $40,000 but be delivered with a median price near or north of $50,000. Production is expected to begin in 2020 but it is unknown what kind of volume will be achieved. As with the Model 3, it could take several months before multiple configurations of the vehicle are truly available.

Permalink to story.

He still doesn't get it. Publishing all those articles about how he "dreamed" of building an electric car that everyone could afford no longer are relevant or even slightly believable. He's just another industrialist grabbing for every penny he can get .... we'll just have to wait for a more honest and believable one to come along .....

The Model 3 is one of the fastest market penetrations I've seen - outside of the typical me too" Toyotas and Hondas.

The Model Y is going to be awesome.

It's like when Mercedes launched the CLA and the GLA. Both of them were met with negative criticism by the "enthusiasts" (people's opinions who nobody really gives a damn about - and most of them drive garbage). THE FREE MARKET moved CLA and GLA very well.

I'm so glad I am a Tesla shareowner. We bought in back in 2012 when we were invited to drive the P85 at just $30 per share. Nothing but gains since then.

He still doesn't get it. Publishing all those articles about how he "dreamed" of building an electric car that everyone could afford no longer are relevant or even slightly believable. He's just another industrialist grabbing for every penny he can get .... we'll just have to wait for a more honest and believable one to come along .....

Except he did build the car that regular people can afford. Yes, it did take longer than expected, but he still delivered.

Tesla is still the only EV manufacturer that makes great looking cars with even better performance. GM, Nissan, and Kia's EVs look, feel, and drive absolutely atrocious.

Except he did build the car that regular people can afford. Yes, it did take longer than expected, but he still delivered.

Tesla is still the only EV manufacturer that makes great looking cars with even better performance. GM, Nissan, and Kia's EVs look, feel, and drive absolutely atrocious.

I like the Tesla design look a lot (except for Model 3, I think it looks hideous). One thing I hope they really improve in the future is the interior.

Just because someone wants to make money, or recognises that making money is an essential part of running an industrial process, or even if they’re not honest (for the sake of argument, not that I agree) doesn’t mean they don’t have dreams, and those dreams aren’t worthwhile.

I expect Musk to be president of the USA, sometime in the near distant future.. <(oxymoron alert)>
He has all the fundamental "skills" necessary to be elected. First, he has all of the liberal left hypnotized into believing he's going to save the planet singlehandedly

But more importantly, he can out lie Donald Trump. And that's one big mouthful of prevarication:eek:

I expect Musk to be president of the USA, sometime in the near distant future.. <(oxymoron alert)>
He has all the fundamental "skills" necessary to be elected. First, he has all of the liberal left hypnotized into believing he's going to save the planet singlehandedly

But more importantly, he can out lie Donald Trump. And that's one big mouthful of prevarication:eek:

I think you’re mistaken. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, but there are differences. He’s getting stuff done, no-one but a flat-earthier style conspiracy theorist can deny there are a lot of Teslas on the road, there are a lot of rockets going up cheaper than anyone else can do it.

Second, I don’t think any serious thinker thinks he can save the word singlehandedly. Even if you give him full credit for electric cars which is a big jump as his skills there include getting a lot of clever people to work for him very hard, and being able to raise money (though to be fair he’s prepared to risk his own), cars only account for 20% of oil usage, and the main users - ships, planes, power stations and the petrochemical industry - are going to take a lot of work and need solutions his companies are not working on.

The big elephant-in-the-room problem I doubt he or anyone else is going to solve is of course the number of people on the planet.

And thirdly, I doubt he’s ever going to be president, he wasn’t born in the US which as I understand it is a requirement.

I expect Musk to be president of the USA.
He has all the fundamental "skills" necessary to be elected.

Except he's a) way too smart to be president, and b) not American (he's from South Africa).

I will wait for Model Z!

I doubt there will ever be a Z. It's a Y this time because it goes with the other models. The first was S, then came X then the 3. Put them together and you get S3XY.

It would have been a Model E not a model 3, but Ford already owned the naming rights for it.

I think you’re mistaken. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, but there are differences. He’s getting stuff done, no-one but a flat-earthier style conspiracy theorist can deny there are a lot of Teslas on the road, there are a lot of rockets going up cheaper than anyone else can do it.
Another member said something to the effect of, "Space-X is succeeding in spite of Musk, not because of him". Which is an appraisal with which I wholeheartedly concur. In fact, during recent months, his behavior has become increasingly outlandish.

For example, if NASA had spent American tax dollars on a rocket ostensibly in the class of the Saturn 5, to put an effigy of Donald Trump on a deep space trajectory, with as vapid and asinine explanation as "why not", heads would more than likely roll at our venerable space agency

As far as landing boosters intact goes, Space-X, and by extension Musk, weren't even the first ones to do so. Look it up. Modern "fly by wire" computer controls are at the heart of that accomplishment, and Musk was almost certainly not at the controls when it first happened. He was more than likely running his mouth to a gaggle of reporters taking credit for it.

Second, I don’t think any serious thinker thinks he can save the word singlehandedly.
Serious thinkers, certainly not. Techspot under informed fan boys, ? Well yes, they sometimes give that impression

Even if you give him full credit for electric cars which is a big jump as his skills there include getting a lot of clever people to work for him very hard,

You're pretty much on target there:
1200px-Philadelphia_E40LFR_trolleybus_817.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus

(Which is why it was so absurd when Sweden (? or some Scandinavian country ) announced it was so "innovative", when they announced they were going to install overhead wires for large trucks to run under.

And lest we forget, Panasonic makes Tesla's batteries. (They and others have been building lithium batteries since before Tesla even existed).

and being able to raise money (though to be fair he’s prepared to risk his own), cars only account for 20% of oil usage, and the main users - ships, planes, power stations and the petrochemical industry - are going to take a lot of work and need solutions his companies are not working on.
Yeah, and if we ban plastic bags, we'll destroy the rest of what little remains of the world's forests. Like I always used to hear them say at the supermarket, "paper of plastic".

The big elephant-in-the-room problem I doubt he or anyone else is going to solve is of course the number of people on the planet.
And like I always say, "I think Thanos was pretty much on the right track,

And thirdly, I doubt he’s ever going to be president, he wasn’t born in the US which as I understand it is a requirement.

You're correct, but only as of now:

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident ...

With that said, Musk's accession to the office could be accomplished by statutory means, in combination with a constitutional amendment. Of course like "Prohibition", which was a constitutional amendment as well, people would likely, (hopefully), come to their senses and repeal him

Last edited:
Back