Tesla Model 3 production outpaced the company's two other vehicles for the first time ever

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: Tesla still has a substantial backlog of Model 3 pre-orders to wade through and the company's future is by no means guaranteed but it's a step in the right direction nevertheless.

Tesla in the remaining days of the second quarter managed to hit its production goal of 5,000 Model 3 sedans per week, albeit only barely.

The electric automaker on Monday said 5,031 Model 3s rolled off the assembly line in the last seven days of Q2 alongside 1,931 Model S and X vehicles. That brings total Q2 production to 53,339 vehicles, a 55 percent increase over the first quarter, and marks the company’s most productive quarter to date.

Tesla said that for the first time, Model 3 production in a quarter (28,578) exceeded combined Model S and X production (24,761) with almost three times as many Model 3s produced in the most recent quarter versus in the first quarter.

CEO Elon Musk said on Twitter in mid-June that the company needed another assembly line to reach the 5K per week Model 3 production goal and that constructing a new building was impossible. Instead, they built a giant tent in just two weeks. According to Musk, it’s “way better” than the other general assembly line that cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

The new line was responsible for roughly 20 percent of Model 3s produced last week, Tesla said, and quality from the line is as good as their regular line. Speaking of, the regular line is expected to hit a production rate of 5,000 Model 3s per week soon but isn’t quite there yet.

By late next month, Model 3 production is expected to increase to 6,000 units per week.

Permalink to story.

Well, I've always said that Musk was, "the P.T. Barnum of technology", and now the Model 3s are coming to you, "from under the big top ".

In any event, I view this as a dire signal for the big automakers to get their a**es in gear, and put out electric vehicles, pronto.

This could rapidly become an AMD resurgence vs. Intel complacency paradigm.

With those things said, one has to wonder how Tesla's factory workers feel about essentially going camping everyday. After all, they were complaining before, when they had a nice big building in which to ply their craft..

I see the possibly for an addition to the vernacular, should any of these cars be plagued with defects.

Before we called the lemons, "Monday Fords, or maybe, "Friday Chevys", most likely the new pejorative added to the narrative will be, "tent Tesla".

Last edited:
Even today the car salesman in the major car company try to downplay the electric car, that says a lot.
Told one next time I buy a car be there or be square. If many of us says the same thing maybe they will start to listen.

Back