Tesla recalls almost 363,000 cars due to self-driving defects

Daniel Sims

Staff
The big picture: Tesla's self-driving car ambitions have faced considerable criticism for years. The pressure hasn't stopped this year, with a very public condemnation during the Super Bowl and negative comments from a tech industry titan. Recalling hundreds of thousands of cars because of autonomous operation defects can't be helping the company's situation.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) advised Tesla this week to issue a recall of nearly 363,000 vehicles due to problems with the company's self-driving software. Tesla will resolve the issue through an over-the-air update.

The recall affects Tesla models S, X, 3, and Y. In certain situations, the company's Full Self-Driving Beta (FSD) software could cause the cars to unsafely drive through static yellow lights, drive through stop signs, fail to observe speed limits, or drive straight out of turn-only lanes.

The NHTSA first contacted Tesla about the problem late last month. Tesla disagreed with the administration's analysis but voluntarily ordered a recall this month "out of an abundance of caution."

The company will distribute the over-the-air patch to improve FSD over the next few weeks. Because Tesla owners won't have to bring their cars to dealerships or repair shops to fix the problem, company CEO Elon Musk called the term recall "anachronistic" in a tweet.

The recall is only the latest problem Tesla has faced regarding FSD. An ad during the Super Bowl from The Dawn Project showed a Tesla running on FSD slamming into child-sized mannequins and making various other errors.

The foundation's methodology has come under question, and its founder runs a company that makes competing software. Musk brushed off the ad as essentially free advertising for Tesla.

Earlier this month, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak called Musk "dishonest" due to how Tesla advertised FSD in 2016. Wozniak and his wife invested tens of thousands of dollars on Tesla upgrades after a 2016 FSD demonstration that a Tesla director recently admitted was staged.

Self-driving cars from other companies have recently sparked complaints from California transit authorities. In one case, a fleet of robotaxis blocked an intersection. In other incidents, robotaxi operators wasted first responders' time by calling 911 when passengers fell asleep in the autonomous cars.

Tesla also suffered multiple recalls last year affecting hundreds of thousands of vehicles for other reasons—three in November concerned taillights, power steering, and airbags.

Permalink to story.

Tesla going to Trash soon...!
Undoubtedly, IMO.

Musk still with his head up his rear in that tweet. The only thing Musk cares about WRT Tesla owners is that he finds a way to get them to hand over their cash for his falsely advertised crap.

Why is Steve Wozniak's personal opinion even remotely newsworthy? Because he's an ex-celebrity?

Undoubtedly, IMO.
I know how much you guys would love that but it's only wishful thinking.
In 2022 out of the top 10 EVs sold, 4 of them were Tesla. They took spots 1,2,4 and 6.
They remain #1 in the world at the moment.
They wont always be so dominant but they are not going anywhere. Stocks will go up and down but they will remain a "power" house in the industry.....see what I did there? "Power" house....get it?

And besides all the accidents, deaths, and similar occurrences, Musk still insists it isn't his fault .... truly the best example of a pathetic being .....

I know how much you guys would love that but it's only wishful thinking.
In 2022 out of the top 10 EVs sold, 4 of them were Tesla. They took spots 1,2,4 and 6.
They remain #1 in the world at the moment.
They wont always be so dominant but they are not going anywhere. Stocks will go up and down but they will remain a "power" house in the industry.....see what I did there? "Power" house....get it?
Consumer Reports does not agree with you and the buyers of his crap. They removed their rating of "Best Buy" from Tesla vehicles this year.

Furthermore, CR did a report several years ago on what people consider quality in automobiles. Their study was interesting. One notable item they cited was based on Corvette ownership. People who owned corvettes considered them quality vehicles even though their vehicles were in the shop much more often than most other vehicles. IMO, that says something about the owners and brand-loyalty. I think it would be easy to extend this to Tesla owners. I bet they consider their vehicles to be "quality vehicles" even though they are more problematic than other vehicles. :laughing:

I know how much you would like Tesla to succeed, but the fact of the matter is that as more of the traditional auto manufacturers put EVs on the market, the less likely that Teslas will continue to dominate the market. Especially with complaints of poor quality/ "FSD" getting into accidents, etc, piling up.

But, you're certainly welcome to run right out and buy one to prove us wrong. ;)

Consumer Reports does not agree with you and the buyers of his crap. They removed their rating of "Best Buy" from Tesla vehicles this year.

Furthermore, CR did a report several years ago on what people consider quality in automobiles. Their study was interesting. One notable item they cited was based on Corvette ownership. People who owned corvettes considered them quality vehicles even though their vehicles were in the shop much more often than most other vehicles. IMO, that says something about the owners and brand-loyalty. I think it would be easy to extend this to Tesla owners. I bet they consider their vehicles to be "quality vehicles" even though they are more problematic than other vehicles. :laughing:

I know how much you would like Tesla to succeed, but the fact of the matter is that as more of the traditional auto manufacturers put EVs on the market, the less likely that Teslas will continue to dominate the market. Especially with complaints of poor quality/ "FSD" getting into accidents, etc, piling up.

But, you're certainly welcome to run right out and buy one to prove us wrong. ;)
I was not arguing that they made quality vehicles. In fact I saw something somewhere a while back that claimed they were one of if not the least reliable vehicles you could buy.
And no I do not care about Tesla being successful at all and would not buy an EV right now no matter who made it. If I HAD to buy one it would be the Ford truck...
All that said Tesla will continue to do well and they will not be "going to trash" anytime soon. Even with bad publicity they will continue to do well. At this point they are still considered a status vehicle for most. People will buy them even if they are unreliable.

I was not arguing that they made quality vehicles. In fact I saw something somewhere a while back that claimed they were one of if not the least reliable vehicles you could buy.
And no I do not care about Tesla being successful at all and would not buy an EV right now no matter who made it. If I HAD to buy one it would be the Ford truck...
All that said Tesla will continue to do well and they will not be "going to trash" anytime soon. Even with bad publicity they will continue to do well. At this point they are still considered a status vehicle for most. People will buy them even if they are unreliable.
Agreed. Tesla has become the Apple of Electric Cars. It is now a status thing built on hype and image. People will buy them even if there are better alternatives. The question is will Elon's erratic behavior tarnish Tesla's image enough to change the public's opinion and realize that Tesla is not all that special after all. Stock price is not always indicative of the quality of a company or its products.

So, is Tesla bad now, or just Elon? Can we somehow put distance between the two? Can you still be cool driving a Tesla and saving the earth?

So, is Tesla bad now, or just Elon? Can we somehow put distance between the two? Can you still be cool driving a Tesla and saving the earth?
No, sorry, you lost your investment and you're not saving the earth, also your car is dangerous for you and for the people around it, adding the AI errors to human ones.

"Full Self-Driving Beta (FSD) software"....Full...!? High confident scam...!?

Should have been called TSD - Temporary Self Driving software...!

Why is Steve Wozniak's personal opinion even remotely newsworthy? Because he's an ex-celebrity?
Because Steve Wozniak is a literal genius who first revolutionized the Personal Computer and the simple fact that he's not an ***** and I could list many more. Steve Wozniak is not just a "celebrity" sir. He's the reason your computer displays color, among other things. Anyone who knows how capable Steve is will gladly hear his opinion about anything tech because he's earned it.

Because Steve Wozniak is a literal genius who first revolutionized the Personal Computer and the simple fact that he's not an ***** and I could list many more. Steve Wozniak is not just a "celebrity" sir. He's the reason your computer displays color, among other things. Anyone who knows how capable Steve is will gladly hear his opinion about anything tech because he's earned it.

None of that makes him any more of an expert on this topic than you or me. You may as well ask Daniel Day Lewis about it and say "he's earned it" because he has a bunch of Oscars. It's ludicrous.

"Steve Wozniak called Musk "dishonest" due to how Tesla advertised FSD "

Steve Wozniak was totally right!
It was blatantly obvious. FSD should NEVER have been called "autopilot". It was nowhere near close to unsupervised autonomous driving that was safe for our normal roads. Not remotely close. The fact Teslas were even allowed to be on the road with such a feature at all under that name says a huge amount of how poor consumer protections are in the US.

It was blatantly obvious. FSD should NEVER have been called "autopilot". It was nowhere near close to unsupervised autonomous driving that was safe for our normal roads. Not remotely close. The fact Teslas were even allowed to be on the road with such a feature at all under that name says a huge amount of how poor consumer protections are in the US.
It also shows how gullible people are. It's been well documented from before the first computer was even built, why they can never operate like a brain. You would think chief executives of various companies would take the time do a little bit of research into the matter.

Back