Tesla successfully delivered 367,500 vehicles in 2019

Polycount

Staff member

According to a Q4 2019 financial report published by the electric carmaker today, it delivered a whopping 367,500 vehicles throughout the year. That number falls in line with previous predictions, and it's also about 50 percent higher than it was in 2018.

That's quite the leap forward, and Tesla says its numbers could even be on the conservative side. It only counts a car as "delivered" if "all paperwork" is correct, and the vehicle has actually reached a customer (merely shipping the car isn't enough).

For reference, Tesla delivered 245,240 vehicles in 2018, so the math adds up (give or take a few dozen deliveries).

A sizable chunk of Tesla's 2019 deliveries -- 112,000, to be exact -- occurred in Q4 2019, which is to be expected. The holiday season is one where people receive gifts -- even expensive gifts like a brand new Tesla -- as well as Christmas bonuses from employers, which can help with down payments on car loans.

Theoretically, these production numbers should only increase over the coming years. Tesla has already begun producing vehicles in its brand-new Shanghai-based Gigafactory, and another Gigafactory is expected to break ground sometime in 2021.

Permalink to story.

Reactions: CharmsD

Squid Surprise

And did that lead to an increase in profits? Last quarter was the first profitable quarter Tesla has ever had....

Plutoisaplanet

And did that lead to an increase in profits? Last quarter was the first profitable quarter Tesla has ever had....
That’s not true, they had two profitable quarters last year as well. Still, they’ve still trended to be unprofitable on a year by year basis. But for this quarter, everyone finds out about 3-5 weeks after the quarter ends.

Reactions: CharmsD and DaveBG

SRB

Yeah, 50% more vehicles at a loss. Wake me when they're turning a profit consistently at volume. Until then, he'll just keep on raising capital, so at least I guess the company is not folding anytime soon.

Homerlovesbeer

Probably more aimed at the man not the company. When you have a visionary who is out of touch with real people bound to happen
Without people in the world like Musk it would be a dull place indeed. True genius needs a little madness and being a disruptor in the industry forces other companies to change tact and get out of their rut and explore different schools of thinking.

We all benefit from that.

DaveBG

This is just the beginning. Diesel cancer generators are going down and even the paid trolls cannot save them now.

bviktor

Probably more aimed at the man not the company. When you have a visionary who is out of touch with real people bound to happen
I hate them not for their management practices, but for their technology choice. Battery is a dead end, and a polluting one at that. And it probably wouldn't bother me this much if they didn't sugar coat it with green bullcr@p.

sreams

Yeah, 50% more vehicles at a loss. Wake me when they're turning a profit consistently at volume. Until then, he'll just keep on raising capital, so at least I guess the company is not folding anytime soon.
Tesla runs in the negative as they expand, but the vehicles do not sell at a loss. The more they sell, the better their financials look. That's why Q3 saw the most cars delivered of any previous quarter along with a strong profit.

captaincranky

Congrats Tesla.

I don't understand why this site has so many haters just wishing for Tesla to fail. Just about every post ridicules Tesla.

Tall poppy syndrome at its worst.
We're not hoping for Tesla to fail. It's just that we can't separate the company from the a-frame that started it.

Tesla likely won't fail now that its factories are up and running in China.

But keep in mind, American investors and American taxpayers gave them the ability to do it. It's the same sh!t that people are always complaining about. Arguably, you can't call Tesla's move to China, "a loss of American jobs", since they were never here to begin with.

But US government subsidies, and investors who somehow manage to continually push the stock price up of a company which continually loses money, are no doubt responsible for its (perhaps), impending success.

captaincranky

Tesla runs in the negative as they expand, but the vehicles do not sell at a loss. The more they sell, the better their financials look. That's why Q3 saw the most cars delivered of any previous quarter along with a strong profit.
I can be quite abrupt at times, so forgive me for saying this, but you sound like somebody who failed 2nd grade math.

Here's a hint, you take the money they got for selling all the cars and subtract that from their gross expenditures. If the result is a negative number, then they lost money on every car they sold.

Last edited:

captaincranky

Congrats Tesla.

I don't understand why this site has so many haters just wishing for Tesla to fail. Just about every post ridicules Tesla.

Tall poppy syndrome at its worst.
Given the fact that Musk is now sponging off the Chinese government and not the US government, I suppose you could call that a "win", of sorts.

But really, it's the same thing as saying, "well, we won the battle, but we lost the war".

Which tacitly means, we can hate all we want, without remorse.

sreams

I can be quite abrupt at times, so forgive me for saying this, but you sound like somebody who failed 2nd grade math.

Here's a hint, you take the money the got for selling all the cars and subtract that from their gross expenditures. If the result is a negative number, then they lost money on every car they sold.
You aren't understanding what is being said.

Example
Cost to build single car $20K
Selling price of car $25K
Cost to build factory for upcoming model $100K

Build/sell zero cars, and you are $100K in debt
Build/sell 15 cars, and you are $25K in debt

Your previous statement implied that every car built put Tesla further in debt, when in fact, the opposite is true.

Saying a car is sold at a loss is far different from saying a company is operating with a loss.

Tesla could put on the brakes and choose to take profit for a few years... but in this industry, where there have been no successful newcomers for decades, that approach would ensure their demise.

Reactions: DaveBG

captaincranky

You aren't understanding what is being said.

Example
Cost to build single car $20K
Selling price of car $25K
Cost to build factory for upcoming model $100K

Build/sell zero cars, and you are $100K in debt
Build/sell 15 cars, and you are $25K in debt

Your previous statement implied that every car built put Tesla further in debt, when in fact, the opposite is true.

Saying a car is sold at a loss is far different from saying a company is operating with a loss.

Tesla could put on the brakes and choose to take profit for a few years... but in this industry, where there have been no successful newcomers for decades, that approach would ensure their demise.
Spare me the semantics.

sreams

We're not hoping for Tesla to fail. It's just that we can't separate the company from the a-frame that started it.

Tesla likely won't fail now that its factories are up and running in China.

But keep in mind, American investors and American taxpayers gave them the ability to do it. It's the same sh!t that people are always complaining about. Arguably, you can't call Tesla's move to China, "a loss of American jobs", since they were never here to begin with.

But US government subsidies, and investors who somehow manage to continually push the stock price up of a company which continually loses money, are no doubt responsible for its (perhaps), impending success.
Good ideas require investment in order to succeed, so I don't see any issue with what has happened with the stock (which has been pulled in the opposite direction more than any other stock by short sellers hoping for the company to fail).

As for subsidies... the whole industry has relied on them. GM fell to bankruptcy and was only saved by a taxpayer funded loan. And the fuel that goes into these cars is heavily subsidized in the US... to the point that EV subsidies don't even show up on the same radar. So let's not pretend Tesla has some leg up that other auto manufacturers do not... especially considering that those subsidies are available to all of them if they'd just build the product. If EV subsidies are of such benefit, where are the other players?

sreams

Spare me the semantics.
If you think this is nothing more than semantics, you'd be pretty terrible at running any company. But then... most people who sit at home criticizing how large companies operate would have no clue how to do it any better, and would almost certainly drive those companies into the ground if given the keys.

captaincranky

If you think this is nothing more than semantics, you'd be pretty terrible at running any company. But then... most people who sit at home criticizing how large companies operate would have no clue how to do it any better, and would almost certainly drive those companies into the ground if given the keys.
And you sound like Musk trying to bullsh!t his way out of losing a quarter billion dollars.a quarter.

Last edited:

captaincranky

Good ideas require investment in order to succeed, so I don't see any issue with what has happened with the stock (which has been pulled in the opposite direction more than any other stock by short sellers hoping for the company to fail).

As for subsidies... the whole industry has relied on them. GM fell to bankruptcy and was only saved by a taxpayer funded loan. And the fuel that goes into these cars is heavily subsidized in the US... to the point that EV subsidies don't even show up on the same radar. So let's not pretend Tesla has some leg up that other auto manufacturers do not... especially considering that those subsidies are available to all of them if they'd just build the product. If EV subsidies are of such benefit, where are the other players?
But, AFAIK, GM or the other makers didn't use the bailout money to build "gigafactories", in China. GM was forced to sell off Hummer to the Chinese, but that's not anywhere the same thing.

Last edited:

cliffordcooley

most people who sit at home criticizing how large companies operate would have no clue how to do it any better, and would almost certainly drive those companies into the ground if given the keys.
You are probably right about that. I for one couldn't morally sell the crap being manufactured today.

CharmsD

I appreciate the link @Kenrick -Tesla's delivering 367,500 vehicles is exactly 367,500 more vehicles than anyone here has done. Never have I felt the sting of "pc's don't matter anymore" - more. Lol

Congratulations Tesla!

captaincranky

...[ ]....Congratulations Tesla America....!
I fixed that for ya..!

Tesla, as an entity still has to be operating at a massive loss, considering they delivered "a few cars", out of their multi billion dollar Chinese "gigafactory".

As far as earlier claims that "Tesla make a profit on each car, but is operating at an overall loss, is just massively "cooling the books", for publicity purposes.

The whole matter intersects with politics, considering Trumps claims of, "making America great again", by restoring manufacturing infrastructure.

It also draws into question of exactly how much financial loss or subsidy, if you will, China is willing to accept, or provide, (respectively), to take away from the US economy.

CharmsD

I fixed that for ya..!
Well thanks! Mighty kind of you, Captain Cranky! :)

Tesla, as an entity still has to be operating at a massive loss, considering they delivered "a few cars", out of their multi billion dollar Chinese "gigafactory".

As far as earlier claims that "Tesla make a profit on each car, but is operating at an overall loss, is just massively "cooling the books", for publicity purposes.
It's called Hollywood Accounting. Cook your own books and you don't have to pay any taxes, no, the taxes pay YOU!

The whole matter intersects with politics, considering Trumps claims of, "making America great again", by restoring manufacturing infrastructure.
One business Trump did restructure - soybeans. Elon was in the auto business prior to Trump snatching hold of the American rudder.

It also draws into question of exactly how much financial loss or subsidy, if you will, China is willing to accept, or provide, (respectively), to take away from the US economy.
Chyna was bankrupt long ago, but you knew their community banks were a virtual toilet for chicnees debt. Chyna's cool, they make our toys so we don't have to!! :)

Reactions: captaincranky