Tesla switches from Intel to AMD chip for its Model Y in China

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Tesla has reportedly switched the chip manufacturer for its Model Y infotainment system from Intel to AMD, bringing it in line with the Model S and X. It appears that the Ryzen chip-sporting Model Y is only being made available to buyers in China right now, though it’s unclear if it will expand to other regions.

Electrek reports that the Shanghai-made 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance has seen several upgrades, including changing the chip in its infotainment system from the current Intel one to an AMD Ryzen alternative.

We don’t know if the Model Y's new chip will be the same Ryzen APU found in the Tesla Model S and Model X, but it seems likely. At this year’s Computex event, Tesla revealed the APU with its Navi 23-based graphics allowed games such as Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3 to be played on the infotainment system. Tesla also said it offers the same “10 teraflops” of performance as the PlayStation 5.

Vehicle manufacturers have been heavily impacted by the global chip shortage, with several automakers forced to close down production at plants temporarily. Intel, which has its own fabs, hasn’t been as badly affected by the shortage as AMD, but it could be that Tesla wants to use more than one supplier to try and lessen the impact of the crisis. The Ryzen option is probably cheaper than Intel’s, too.

In addition to the new chip, those who’ve taken delivery of a Tesla Model Y Performance in China have noted the 16V lithium-ion auxiliary battery and laminated glass at the front and rear of the crossover EV.

In other Tesla news, fans of CEO Elon Musk can now buy a bust and iPhone 13 Pro from Caviar that immortalize the billionaire, priced at $3,220 and $6,760, respectively.

Permalink to story.

I sincerely hope everyone watching is more understanding that we are on the ground floor of EV stock (and arguably tech companies) and that a tremendous amount of investment is about to be put into the "chip" industry to ensure that these chip shortages don't happen again. It was one thing when it was just a shortage of PS5 and Xbox... it's a whole nother' story when lack of chips means you can't sell cars.

I sincerely hope everyone watching is more understanding that we are on the ground floor of EV stock (and arguably tech companies) and that a tremendous amount of investment is about to be put into the "chip" industry to ensure that these chip shortages don't happen again. It was one thing when it was just a shortage of PS5 and Xbox... it's a whole nother' story when lack of chips means you can't sell cars.

My only concern at this point is the number of companies that have announced intentions to build their own chip Mfg. plants. At last count I think there were 21 which might be overkill. Of course for the buying public that would mean a glut of products that should drive prices way down, but we have to recognize that the majority of these will be propitiatory chips, not intended for the general public.

It would be nice during this GPU shortage if AMD could sell general consumers a PS5 or Xbox strength APU. But nope, best we get is a 5700G which is overpriced and struggles with most games at 1080p. I don’t have a problem with AMD selling to OEMs, that’s what they should do but if they were more consumer friendly they would let us buy these more powerful APUs, the only reason they don’t is because they want us to spend $500 on a 6600XT...

It would be nice during this GPU shortage if AMD could sell general consumers a PS5 or Xbox strength APU. But nope, best we get is a 5700G which is overpriced and struggles with most games at 1080p. I don’t have a problem with AMD selling to OEMs, that’s what they should do but if they were more consumer friendly they would let us buy these more powerful APUs, the only reason they don’t is because they want us to spend $500 on a 6600XT...
what's used in the consoles isn't exactly an APU. And even if it was, they still don't even have enough of those units to supply console demand.

what's used in the consoles isn't exactly an APU. And even if it was, they still don't even have enough of those units to supply console demand.
The APU in a console is exactly an APU lol, what makes it different except the increased performance? You could even eventually buy Xbox one APUs in China if I recall.

Also last time I checked they use the same process as their 5000 series CPUs, they are in such abundance that they are getting price cuts.

AMD are only not giving us these APUs to appease corporate interests. Which is fine, it’s to be expected. But it’s a shame, the consumer gets dumped on.

The APU in a console is exactly an APU lol, what makes it different except the increased performance? You could even eventually buy Xbox one APUs in China if I recall.

Also last time I checked they use the same process as their 5000 series CPUs, they are in such abundance that they are getting price cuts.

AMD are only not giving us these APUs to appease corporate interests. Which is fine, it’s to be expected. But it’s a shame, the consumer gets dumped on.
They're SoC's, not APUs. They're close which is why I said it "isn't exactly an APU".

The SoCs used in consoles cannot be made as a drop in replacement for desktop CPUs. They're a Semi-custom silicon. APUs cannot work in consoles and SoCs cannot work in desktops.

They're SoC's, not APUs. They're close which is why I said it "isn't exactly an APU".

The SoCs used in consoles cannot be made as a drop in replacement for desktop CPUs. They're a Semi-custom silicon. APUs cannot work in consoles and SoCs cannot work in desktops.
Ok yes the exact chip in a console won’t fit in a PC motherboard. But my point is AMD are only not making an APU that can fit in a PC motherboard because it would conflict with their corporate interests.

AMD could easily make an Xbox series X power APU for PC. You’re deluded if you think they can’t.

Ok yes the exact chip in a console won’t fit in a PC motherboard. But my point is AMD are only not making an APU that can fit in a PC motherboard because it would conflict with their corporate interests.

AMD could easily make an Xbox series X power APU for PC. You’re deluded if you think they can’t.
AMD is manufacturing as many chips as TSMC will give them capacity to do so. Market demand mixed with supply chain issues and scalpers is the reason we are currently in this situation. I don't know if you remember the article, but TSMC is now pre-selling future manufacturing capacity because of general chip demand.

I also want to know where you're seeing 6600XT's for $500 because they've already been scalped and selling for $800+. So long as GPUs are crypto money printers they will always all be sold out.

But lets take a second and look at this from a business perspective. If you will always sell 100% of your stock no matter what or how much of you're producing, you'd be silly not to only sell the highest margin product. Combine this with the fact that AMD can't go to TSMC and say "make more of this so we can sell more of these". AMD does have to optimize it's limited capacity to maximize profit.

After seeing the 6600XT as a failed experiment for consumer GPUs I doubt AMD will "waste" any more of it's limited production capacity trying to be nice and bring GPU prices down. Making a 6600XT APU equivalent would be pointless because those will just get scalped and doubled in price.

AMD tried, it failed. nVidia is trying with the "new" 2060 and I'm sure we'll see the same thing. They'll all be bought up by scalpers and sold to you at double price effectively making them even more pointless than they already are. Heck, I had someone offer me $700 for my 1070ti and I bough it for $270 as a used mining card.

Don't talk about stuff you don't understand.

You don't seem to realize they would have to sell the entire device--motherboard, soldered on GDDR6, and SOC. It's. Not. Just. Drop. In. It won't be compatible with DDR4 or DDR5 and be able to reach Series X performance because system RAM simply does not have the bandwidth for that.

Don't be so aggressive to people who know more than you.

You don't seem to realize they would have to sell the entire device--motherboard, soldered on GDDR6, and SOC. It's. Not. Just. Drop. In. It won't be compatible with DDR4 or DDR5 and be able to reach Series X performance because system RAM simply does not have the bandwidth for that.

I have a far better understanding than you do. Especially if you think it’s impossible to put a console grade APU on a regular motherboard. Or even just create a better solution than what we currently have.

I suggest you stop interfering with people like me who definitely know better than you as currently you’re humiliating yourself lmao.

AMD is manufacturing as many chips as TSMC will give them capacity to do so. Market demand mixed with supply chain issues and scalpers is the reason we are currently in this situation. I don't know if you remember the article, but TSMC is now pre-selling future manufacturing capacity because of general chip demand.

I also want to know where you're seeing 6600XT's for $500 because they've already been scalped and selling for $800+. So long as GPUs are crypto money printers they will always all be sold out.

But lets take a second and look at this from a business perspective. If you will always sell 100% of your stock no matter what or how much of you're producing, you'd be silly not to only sell the highest margin product. Combine this with the fact that AMD can't go to TSMC and say "make more of this so we can sell more of these". AMD does have to optimize it's limited capacity to maximize profit.

After seeing the 6600XT as a failed experiment for consumer GPUs I doubt AMD will "waste" any more of it's limited production capacity trying to be nice and bring GPU prices down. Making a 6600XT APU equivalent would be pointless because those will just get scalped and doubled in price.

AMD tried, it failed. nVidia is trying with the "new" 2060 and I'm sure we'll see the same thing. They'll all be bought up by scalpers and sold to you at double price effectively making them even more pointless than they already are. Heck, I had someone offer me $700 for my 1070ti and I bough it for $270 as a used mining card.
You’re making excuses based on no real evidence. AMD could absolutely give us an APU that performs better than the junk we get now. Even if it’s not as powerful as an XSX or PS5, the market would eat it up right now.

But there would be no corporate interest for AMD to do so. I’m sure you falsely believe AMD would give us one if they could but I don’t. I believe AMD is a corporation who’s priority is to make as much money as possible, they are not a charity,

Sure so a PC APU wouldn’t use GDDR6 or whatever. But come on dude, AMD could definitely make better APUs than we currently get. We know they wont do it because it will step on the toes of their GPU sales and because they cant get away with selling an APU for as much as a dGPU + CPU. They have no interest in making a device as they would lose out on profit.

AMD has no interest in making a more powerful APU because the market is tiny. Anyone who want to play games over peasant vision 720p is buying a dedicated card, which will always offer a better experience then an integrated GPU can manage. The RX 550 is peasant tier performance and has 112GB/s of bandwidth, currently untouchable by even intel's DDR5 platform.

The low end APUs we get are sufficient for those who want a basic display adapter and who only need low power, most who want more power just buy a far superior dGPU, the market in the middle is just too small to justify a product. Intel's hades canyon proved that.

You’re making excuses based on no real evidence. AMD could absolutely give us an APU that performs better than the junk we get now. Even if it’s not as powerful as an XSX or PS5, the market would eat it up right now.

But there would be no corporate interest for AMD to do so. I’m sure you falsely believe AMD would give us one if they could but I don’t. I believe AMD is a corporation who’s priority is to make as much money as possible, they are not a charity,
You know, it really pisses me off when I spend a lot of time writing to explain something only for someone to not read what I wrote.

If you reread the post you quoted you'll realize that, yes, AMD could make one but it'll just double in price as soon as the scalpers get it. The 6600xt was a failed experiment and I doubt AMD will waste anymore fab capacity on low margin products after the failed experiment

You know, it really pisses me off when I spend a lot of time writing to explain something only for someone to not read what I wrote.

If you reread the post you quoted you'll realize that, yes, AMD could make one but it'll just double in price as soon as the scalpers get it. The 6600xt was a failed experiment and I doubt AMD will waste fab capacity on low margin products
I don’t care if you’re pissed off. You’re not making any sense, seemingly defending AMD for not making a good APU for no apparent reason.

You don’t know if scalpers would get it, that’s pure speculation and I call bull. Currently lower end GPUs that are more powerful than APUs aren’t being scalped, things like the GTX 1650. Not only this but APUs are not attractive to miners because you can only use one per system, you need a motherboard, a stick of ram, an SSD of some sort and a power supply for just one APU, that doesn’t make it very profitable or efficient. Gaming laptops are actually good value right now, they would be scalped if it were profitable to mine.

I guess some people on here just can’t handle criticism of AMD.

I don’t care if you’re pissed off. You’re not making any sense, seemingly defending AMD for not making a good APU for no apparent reason.

You don’t know if scalpers would get it, that’s pure speculation and I call bull. Currently lower end GPUs that are more powerful than APUs aren’t being scalped, things like the GTX 1650. Not only this but APUs are not attractive to miners because you can only use one per system, you need a motherboard, a stick of ram, an SSD of some sort and a power supply for just one APU, that doesn’t make it very profitable or efficient. Gaming laptops are actually good value right now, they would be scalped if it were profitable to mine.

Bro are you serious right now? The 1650 is a $149 product, that currently is going for between $300-450 depending on market.

"not being scalped" my ***. Show me ONE 1650 in stock at MSRP.

Bro are you serious right now? The 1650 is a $149 product, that currently is going for between $300-450 depending on market.

"not being scalped" my ***. Show me ONE 1650 in stock at MSRP.
The prices are slightly up but that isn’t “scalping”. Apparently you can’t tell the difference between a markup and a scalper.

A 5 second google search found it on sale in stock in the U.K. for £210, about £60 up from MSRP.

Not only this but that doesn’t mean an APU would be “scalped”. It’s a different product and you can’t run several of them on one system. Can you explain why modern gaming laptops aren’t being scalped and actually coming in at very good value? And my argument still stands, AMD could absolutely definitely make a faster APU but they choose not to because it wouldn’t be profitable enough for them. Which is fine but apparently people here don’t like to hear that AMD like to maximise profits..

I never claimed people don’t mine on laptops, I said laptops are not being scalped…

EDIT:
these are slightly different builds and I'd like to clarify why I'm posting them. You can't get a "low end" XPS 17 right now. You have to buy the high end version at a $1,200 premium.

This goes back to what I was saying earlier about demand and profit margins

EDIT:
these are slightly different builds and I'd like to clarify why I'm posting them. You can't get a "low end" XPS 17 right now. You have to buy the high end version at a $1,200 premium.

This goes back to what I was saying earlier about demand and profit margins
This is all irrelevant. Because why on earth would AMD choose not to make a product because it would be scalped? By that logic they should cease production on the consoles and all their GPUs.

The reason AMD don’t make more powerful APUs is because they wouldn’t make as much profit on them without pricing it like a CPU + GPU.

Apparently you don’t like to hear that AMD are maximising profits for some reason.

This is all irrelevant. Because why on earth would AMD choose not to make a product because it would be scalped? By that logic they should cease production on the consoles and all their GPUs.

The reason AMD don’t make more powerful APUs is because they wouldn’t make as much profit on them without pricing it like a CPU + GPU.

Apparently you don’t like to hear that AMD are maximising profits for some reason.
Because profit margins, you really need to start reading my posts before replying. I've answered basically all of your replies before you even wrote them

EDIT: maybe AMD won't make cheap parts because they think you need to read more.

My only concern at this point is the number of companies that have announced intentions to build their own chip Mfg. plants. At last count I think there were 21 which might be overkill. Of course for the buying public that would mean a glut of products that should drive prices way down, but we have to recognize that the majority of these will be propitiatory chips, not intended for the general public.
If the new plants are designed to make 3nm or 5nm chips, keep in mind that these take about twice as long to produce on a wafer than 10nm chips. Of course, since the new plants add to existing capacity, a glut (hopefully) should actually occur in two or three years, driving some chips prices down. That will be welcome.

Sure so a PC APU wouldn’t use GDDR6 or whatever. But come on dude, AMD could definitely make better APUs than we currently get. We know they wont do it because it will step on the toes of their GPU sales and because they cant get away with selling an APU for as much as a dGPU + CPU. They have no interest in making a device as they would lose out on profit.
They will make better APUs when DDR5 arrives. You know what the primary limitation is on APUs? Bandwidth.
Why do you think Fiji had HBM? Why did Vega use HBM? Why did Nvidia develop GDDR6X? Bandwidth. You're not going to be able to match a 6700 XT with only the bandwidth from DDR5 ever. It's just not possible. Besides, not even GDDR6 was enough bandwidth for the 6700 XT: they needed to engineer a giant on-die solution for infinity cache. That takes giant amounts of die space.

No, it's not possible to have something on the AM4 or AM5 socket with infinity cache, a good CPU, AND a 40+ CU GPU. It's literally not possible on any node TSMC currently has due to size constraints, let alone memory bandwidth.
@Shadowboxer remains smugly ignorant of die size, memory bandwidth, and physical constraints. Probably ban for trolling?

Back