1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Tesla to deliver first Model 3 cars this month

By Jos · 15 replies
Jul 3, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. The first production run of Tesla’s most affordable model will be ready this Friday after clearing all regulatory requirements, with the company holding a handover party for the first 30 customers on July 28. The Silicon Valley automaker plans to ramp up production to 100 Model 3 cars in August, 1,500 in September and 20,000 in December, according to CEO Elon Musk.

The Model 3 was first unveiled over a year ago at an event at Tesla’s headquarters in Hawthorne, California and received over 250,000 preorders in the first few days. The highly anticipated four-door compact sedan is the company’s first attempt at a mass market electric car with a starting price of $35,000 — not “cheap” but by far the cheapest in Tesla’s range.

The average selling price with a mix of options is estimated to be closer to $42,000. That said, Tesla is keeping it very simple when it comes to configuration options, at least initially. “I should say that we’ve kept the initial configurations of the Model 3 very simple,” Musk said at a shareholder meeting last month. “A big mistake we made with the X, which is primarily my responsibility — there was way too much complexity right at the beginning. That was very foolish.” For now, Model 3 customers can essentially chose the color of the car and the size of the wheels.

Tesla aims to produce some 500,000 cars per year by 2018 and one million per year by 2020. As the most affordable model in the lineup, the Model 3 is expected to make up the largest portion of those new vehicles, and thus it’s arguably the company's most important car yet.

Permalink to story.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,134   +3,556

Don't think I'll be able to afford one until they produce the Tesla 50 .....

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  3. Reehahs

Reehahs TS Guru Posts: 724   +460

Don't see the need for offering different wheel sizes.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,647   +3,286

$35K just to get you from point A to B? If you keep it for 100 years and is the only one still in existence then you might be able to get all your money back on it.

5. Kotters

Kotters TS Maniac Posts: 330   +223

I've never understood this logic.

DaveBG likes this.
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 14,685   +3,840

Well, it looks like a winner for Musk. I say that because it's every bit as fugly as the "rest of the Tesla lineup".

The price is said to be "$35.000", yet it's really closer to "$42,000" with a "range of options". Yet Musk says, "the options are simple, paint and wheel size". Which of course, has to give one pause to ask, "exactly how much does the option of having the car painted for ypu cost"? :confused:

And this "huge roll out" is 30 cars. Just think how much Musk will be running his yap at that event. After all, he ran on about an imaginary space suit he was perhaps thinking about having someone else design for him.

So, WOW, I mean WOW, thirty whole cars!

7. kapital98

kapital98 TS Maniac Posts: 321   +246

It's the logic of people who don't understand opportunity cost.

DaveBG likes this.
  8. Kotters

Please go back to r/the_donald

9. captaincranky

But dude Elon Musk is your hero, not mine. So, I'll stay here and have my opinion, and you can have yours.

FWIW, you're a typical "liberal", who is "liberal" only if everyone around him agrees with his point of view. If that sounds like the definition of a hypocrite, oh well.. :shrug:

Direct from the article:

The average selling price with a mix of options is estimated to be closer to $42,000. That said, Tesla is keeping it very simple when it comes to configuration options, at least initially. “I should say that we’ve kept the initial configurations of the Model 3 very simple,” Musk said at a shareholder meeting last month. “A big mistake we made with the X, which is primarily my responsibility — there was way too much complexity right at the beginning. That was very foolish.” For now, Model 3 customers can essentially chose the color of the car and the size of the wheels.

See, you're the one who can't read.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Too complicated eh? Don't worry, you don't have to.

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

No, it's the logic of people who use a bit of savvy.

12. Kotters

It's not complicated, it's just an unrelated fit.

The number of assumptions you made in order to debunk a position I don't hold is impressive

13. captaincranky

And you still can't read well enough to get the joke in my original post. The car "costs" $35,000". However, the delivered price will be most likely closer to $42,000. Musk claim that he's "simplified" the options, the few being paint and wheel size. One has to wonder if you demand a Tesla 3 at the base price, would you have to paint it yourself, and/or steal the wheels from your neighbor's Tesla to git 'er goin'..

The fact notwithstanding that Musk was backpedaling about how "complicated" the Model S was. Well, it was complicated, because was busy slapping super-duper motors in the POS, trying to show how his car could outrun a Ferrari. Then there's the "auto-pilot" and most likely a host of other things to no good end, other than to keep his mouth wide open, and in the limelight..

14. captaincranky

Oh I don't know. It really isn't difficult to figure out where you stand on issues, when you post sh!t like, "go back to the Donald".

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

It's not an unrelated fit. Electric, autonomous vehicles are undoubtedly the future of motoring and make absolute sense and soon all 'proper' manufacturers offer them at varying price points to suit all budgets. There's nothing wrong with buying an expensive motor vehicle, just make sure it can hold value in order for it to be called an investment, otherwise it's just another disposable consumable.
    Tesla's vehicle division is bound to be bought out by another well known vehicle manufacturer in the near future anyway.

16. Kotters

Tell me, where do you think I stand? I have a feeling you'll be somewhat surprised.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...