Tesla's Model S P85D hits the road for some drag racing, shames the competition

Shawn Knight

Staff member

tesla model p85d lamborghini electric car tesla model s model s p85d awd drag racing aventador

With 691 horsepower on tap, we’ve known for a while now that Tesla’s Model S P85D was a beast (at least on paper) but how does that performance translate in the real world? Pretty damn good, as some newly published YouTube videos reveal.

The guys at DragTimes recently got their hands on a P85D and threw it on the dyno machine to see what kind of power it actually puts down. Immediately, the team runs into issues as the instant flow of torque from the electric motors causes the tires to break loose during the first few runs.

Rolling into the throttle is key and after a few runs, the team concludes that the P85D is putting down a whopping 864 ft-lbs of torque.

Of course, people are already calling out the testing method as incorrect, so let’s move on to the real-world tests: drag races.

First up, the P85D is put to the test against its predecessor, the P85. As you’d expect, it’s not really a close race from a stop although the earlier model fares a bit better from a roll.

In another clip, the P85D goes up against a 691 horsepower, AWD Lamborghini Aventador from a dig. As you can see, the Tesla jumps out to an early lead although the Lamborghini quickly reels him in.

While this clip demonstrates the insane acceleration of the Tesla, again, I’m not so sure it’s an entirely accurate representation on the Lamborghini’s part as the driver doesn’t launch the car correctly. For a fair race, the Aventador should have been put in Thrust Mode at which time I suspect the things would have been much closer from the get-go.

Either way, there’s no denying that Tesla’s new machine is an absolute beast of a sedan that costs a fraction of what the Lamborghini would set you back. Or a Ferrari.

Permalink to story.

Never been a fan of EV vs ICE comparisons/races. It's interesting to see how the paper specs play out in practice, but EVs are passionless vehicles. Consequently, watching videos like this takes a vehicle I genuinely like (the Model S) and reminds me that, at the end of the day, it's just another fancy techno toy. Plenty of tech, devoid of anything emotional.

/car rant

Slow weak at techspot ????

Tech writers have a serious hard-on for the Model S. That company can't publish a firmware update without every tech blog on the web putting it on the front page, twice.

/Tesla rant

Looks like a Jaguar knock off, with some lines poorly designed (sorry formy English, its not native, but did anyone except me noticed that trunk lid line twistes along two dimensions, so from an angle it looks like back lid was assebembeled from poorly made plastic molds, like on an old Lotus or Lada Samara?) Fisker seemed like a better concept, why did it have to die?

Never been a fan of EV vs ICE comparisons/races. It's interesting to see how the paper specs play out in practice, but EVs are passionless vehicles. Consequently, watching videos like this takes a vehicle I genuinely like (the Model S) and reminds me that, at the end of the day, it's just another fancy techno toy. Plenty of tech, devoid of anything emotional.

/car rant
I suppose burning fossil fuels while creating lots of noise and pollution can be thought of as something emotional. We do have a finite amount of it left though, so enjoy it while you can, I suppose.

Why has no one commented on the face the lambo weighs 900lb less! that's like 25% of what the Lambo weighs! If they weighed the same they probably would preform the same.

Why has no one commented on the face the lambo weighs 900lb less! that's like 25% of what the Lambo weighs! If they weighed the same they probably would preform the same.

If they weighed the same, the Tesla would kick rear end because there is only a few milliseconds delay once power is applied to reach optimum torque/speed for acceleration. A combustion engine takes longer because a chemical reaction must occur to provide power.

/car rant

Is it difficult for you to comprehend that some folks might actually have passion for electric vehicles? "Passion" isn't reserved only for gasoline vehicles. I bet in the early 1900's there were folks who didn't want anything to do with the automobile because it lacked the companionship and personality of a horse.

Is it difficult for you to comprehend that some folks might actually have passion for electric vehicles? "Passion" isn't reserved only for gasoline vehicles. I bet in the early 1900's there were folks who didn't want anything to do with the automobile because it lacked the companionship and personality of a horse.

Hmm...

/car rant

Still can't find the spot where I commented on EV enthusiasts. It seems that I was, in fact, stating my own view on the nature of the two technologies.

"Passion" in this context has nothing to do with the enthusiasm someone has for a given technology. It specifically has to do with the physical presence of a vehicle (I.e. the sound and force the vehicle is capable of generating). When I call an EV dispassionate or soulless, I am referring to the fact that its physical capacity is demonstrated with indifference. Take the race, for example. Both cars launch off the line dramatically. The Lamborghini roars through each gear as the engine's rev speed peaks and falls. Meanwhile, the Tesla whirs forward without so much as a passing comment.

I understand that the mute nature of EV tech is evocative to some. That does not change the nature of the technology.

...[ ]....Still can't find the spot where I commented on EV enthusiasts. It seems that I was, in fact, stating my own view on the nature of the two technologies..
Relax you don't have to comment on EV enthusiasts. Just kick back and relax, I'm going to do it for you.....:D

OK. First, how does losing a race shame the competition?

Second, don't you think would be nice to publish a photo of the whole car? The Tesla is actually real, bought and paid for by the investors which Elon Musk has bamboozled out of their hard inherited trust funds..

After all, you publish "photos", of, "what a bitcoin would look like if it actually existed". Or maybe, "artists conception of a Bitcoin". The Tesla is a tangible thing. Or maybe, just maybe, if Techspot makes a sizable donation to Mr. Musk, he'll come up with some downloadable wallpaper of it, that you'll condescend to share with us.

Besides, I only have 1meg DSL, so I hate to squander the little bit of bandwidth I have, streaming video of Musk's follies.

Now, I hate to bring this up, but the dyno testing this magazine has done, it actually isn't the right method.

An electric motor develops its maximum torque when it is STALLED.

A gasoline reciprocating engine develops its maximum torque when it is approaching maximum RPM.

How can you possibly use the same testing procedure for both "devices"?

In fact, when you stall an electric motor, the more power you put to it, the more torque it will generate, until it commits suicide by self immolation....:eek:

This is typical Musk crap. What do you do when have very little in the way of consumer traction? Answer, you piss your investors money away building prototypes with which to garner spectacular headlines.

They should name that POS, "The Snake Oil; 85", (er sorry, I mean, "The Snake Oil 85D").

Besides, what do any the nerds entrenched at TS care about a car you have to drive yourself? I thought you were going to buy Google's self driving cars with your student loans. That way, you could download and play, "Bubble Witch 2", (on whatever dumb phone of the month), on the way to asking your parents for your allowances... :eek:

Last edited:
That's because it takes so much iron and copper to make up the core of an electric motor, the car almost has to weight that much. And then there's the batteries.

Here's a project for you, why don't you invent magnetic aluminum? That'll lighten the car up quite a bit

OK. First, how does losing a race shame the competition?

Second, don't you think would be nice to publish a photo of the whole car? The Tesla is actually real, bought and paid for by the investors which Elon Musk has bamboozled out of their hard inherited trust funds..

After all, you publish "photos", of, "what a bitcoin would look like if it actually existed". Or maybe, "artists conception of a Bitcoin". The Tesla is a tangible thing. Or maybe, just maybe, if Techspot makes a sizable donation to Mr. Musk, he'll come up with some downloadable wallpaper of it, that you'll condescend to share with us.

Besides, I only have 1meg DSL, so I hate to squander the little bit of bandwidth I have, streaming video of Musk's follies.

Now, I hate to bring this up, but the dyno testing this magazine has done, it actually isn't the right method.

An electric motor develops its maximum torque when it is STALLED.

A gasoline reciprocating engine develops its maximum torque when it is approaching maximum RPM.

How can you possibly use the same testing procedure for both "devices"?

In fact, when you stall an electric motor, the more power you put to it, the more torque it will generate, until it commits suicide by self immolation....:eek:

This is typical Musk crap. What do you do when have very little in the way of consumer traction? Answer, you piss your investors money away building prototypes with which to garner spectacular headlines.

They should name that POS, "The Snake Oil; 85", (er sorry, I mean, "The Snake Oil 85D").

Besides, what do any the nerds entrenched at TS care about a car you have to drive yourself? I thought you were going to buy Google's self driving cars with your student loans. That way, you could download and play, "Bubble Witch 2", (on whatever dumb phone of the month), on the way to asking your parents for your allowances... :eek:

ROFL,
Ah the google car thread...fond memories. :)
I find the instantaneous torque of the electric motor fascinating, however the sound of the internal combustion engine is a big part of the experience. The sound of the Aventador makes me...well ....nevermind.
Anyway, the last I heard Ferrari was working on a successor to the Enzo
(possibly the most beautiful super car ever)

tuning-ferrari-enzo-60-v12-03.jpg

Ferrari-Enzo.jpg

with an 200hp electric motor up front to get it off the line and a 830hp gas mid engine I suspect to break the 2.0 second 0-60 and best the Veyron top speed.

I may need to be alone for a bit..
Ferrari_f70.png

Last edited:
After experiencing the "erection lasting longer than four hours", that punching that thing just once would cause, who would you call,? Your doctor? Your mechanic? The Ferrari dealership? Your stockbroker? (To liquidate funds, in case the missus decides she has to have one too). BTW, does that come in a minivan ? Just the thing when the kids are late for soccer practice.

"As of 7 June 2013, the 2000th Aventador, an Aventador LP 700-4 with Nero Nemesis (black) body colour, was built and destined for the United States owner Thaddeus Arroyo, Chief Information Officer of AT&T"

The above from Wikipedia. At around $400.000 a pop, I've taken all the guesswork out of, "why is my damned AT&T bill so high", for whoever might be interested. You're welcome...:)

Last edited:
I never understood what is so beautiful about the noise of an internal combustion engine. Maybe because I work all day with audio and I like to listen to high quality non-distorted music, instead of destroying my hearing capabilities with high level distorted noise. EVs to me are great, just because the don't make (much) noise. Actually, not just because of that - I think the technique is much better. The only problem with EVs is battery-capacity and batterly charge times. Solve that at the reasonable price, and it's bye-bye internal combustion engine.

Really curious how things are going to be in 10 to 20 years...

I never understood what is so beautiful about the noise of an internal combustion engine. Maybe because I work all day with audio and I like to listen to high quality non-distorted music, instead of destroying my hearing capabilities with high level distorted noise.
I think the trick to saving your hearing is, "don't stick your ear in the exhaust pipe, while somebody else revs up the engine. Besides, if the sound control unit of the body department is doing its job correctly, the cockpit will be quiet enough to listen to your music anyway.

EVs to me are great, just because the don't make (much) noise. Actually, not just because of that - I think the technique is much better.
Then too, you have to stand there at a gas pump and watch the meter make your money disappear. When you're charging an EV, you can pretty much sleep through it.:D

Well that, and it's no longer you doing the polluting, but the power station down by the river. Just think of all the sanctimony one can afford oneself with that arrangement!

The only problem with EVs is battery-capacity and batterly charge times. Solve that at the reasonable price, and it's bye-bye internal combustion engine.
STILL, the only PERSISTENT problem with EVs is battery capacity etc..

I fixed that for ya! You're welcome too.

Really curious how things are going to be in 10 to 20 years...
At 66, I'm not, at least not so much.

Last edited:
I never understood what is so beautiful about the noise of an internal combustion engine.
Neither have I!

Muffler
A muffler (silencer in British English, or back box in Irish English) is a device for reducing the amount of noise emitted by the exhaust of an internal combustion engine.
- - - - -
Inadequate muffler design is measured by the lack of silencing.</personalpreference>

I never understood what is so beautiful about the noise of an internal combustion engine.
Neither have I!
This because you've, (self admittedly), rode around blasting your subwoofer loud and proud, possibly annoying whole neighborhoods full of people? Dude, I have news for you. The sound of a well tuned engine is a whole lot more pleasing to many ears, than some clown riding around with the car trunk buzzing from, "obnoxiously loud bass for the sake of being obnoxious".

This race was shame for Lambo.
What is wrong with you people? The article states the driver of the Lambo couldn't get it off the line. He couldn't drive it correctly. And then, when he it finally got it going, it beat the Tesla. The end.

Maybe you could have done a better job driving the Aventador! Do you have the, "Holeshot App", for your iPhone?

And some people are quite happy with MP3 and don't see the attraction of lossless digital or analogue sound sources. It's all relative.

Harley Davidson are pretty much built on the sound of their V-twin, and nothing sounds as sweet to some as a Husaberg 650 single. I personally never bothered much with in-car cassette/CD/head units, as the sound of a well tuned eight (especially a MOPAR hemi) is a symphony in itself to my ears. Even the distinctive coffee-can-half-full-of-rocks-being shaken-violently notes of a Chrysler starter motor cranking over gets my attention from blocks away. All depends upon what you were brought up on, and how ingrained the passion is.

Even the distinctive coffee-can-half-full-of-rocks-being shaken-violently notes of a Chrysler starter motor cranking over gets my attention from blocks away. All depends upon what you were brought up on, and how ingrained the passion is.
I'm not sure which year(s) of Chrysler starter you're indexing. I grew up with the gear reduction jobbies that sort of had an evil whine while crank-y-ing very slowly.

Over the road Diesels have a meanness to their sound when the first fire up. Now they truly sound like big ball bearings being shaken violently in a armor plated coffee can.

It used to be fun to start them after a cold night. You take your can of ether, point it at the intake stack, (about 6 feet above your head), while somebody else cranks the starter. As soon as you see a puff of white smoke from the exhaust, stop spraying, and it roars to life! Then there are those "screaming Jimmies", 6, 8, & 12 cylinder two strokers. They only rev about 2600 or less, buy you get a big old explosion on every revolution.

Speaking of, "how you were brought up", The Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Line", used to run Pennsy's K-4 Steam locomotives right through Wildwood NJ, right in the center of town, on New Jersey Ave. My Aunt owned a house on that street, where I was disposed of for the summer. There was nothing like being shaken out of bed on a clear June morning, than by one of those steam engines chugging down the block, about a hundred feet away.

PRR_K4s_8212.jpg

I guess today's fairy hordes would be repulsed by the smoke and noise from one of those big biddys.

I'm going to have to ask you to be quiet now, I have to concentrate on texting my girlfriend for the 10th time this hour. Well, she's not really my girlfriend, she goes out with the quarterback, and I tutor her in math...:D Which reminds me, I have to call Uber to drive me to her house after school! I hope to gosh I get a ride in an electric car. She'll be so surprised 'cause she won't hear me coming.

Last edited:
This race was shame for Lambo.
What is wrong with you people? The article states the driver of the Lambo couldn't get it off the line. He couldn't drive it correctly. And then, when he it finally got it going, it beat the Tesla. The end.

Maybe you could have done a better job driving the Aventador! Do you have the, "Holeshot App", for your iPhone?
Remember these are mostly kids commenting here, they've never lived with or even heard the sounds of a couple of Holley 4 barrel carbs sucking in insane amounts of air along with gallons of juice feeding a big block 480 V8 then being vented by 6" unbaffled sidewinder exhausts. It's not all that graceful but it is blood stirring, and expensive.

Back