The 10 Greatest Versions of Windows, Ranked

learninmypc

Over the past 35 years, Microsoft has released at least 30 major versions of the Windows operating system. But they weren’t all created equal, so we thought it would be fun to rank the 10 greatest desktop versions of this essential OS.
The Ranking Criteria
When someone says that something was the “greatest,” it suggests that it had a combination of legacy, impact, innovation, and capability for its time. That’s the recipe at play here in this ranking, which is not (and never could be) a definitive list to objectively prove which version of Windows is “the best.”

FULL ARTICLE

I started with 98 too. 98 was good enough to get me to buy a PC but it was hopelessly unreliable. We lived in fear of the blue screen of death.

The latest is always likely to be the best apart from Windows 8. If Microsoft had made mobile phones a priority early enough the apps would have been there for Windows phones.

XP was great at the time and flourished through three service packs. Number two for me.

Windows 10 is an impressive platform. It's way out in front and I hope it doesn't get too bloated.

Over the past 35 years, Microsoft has released at least 30 major versions of the Windows operating system. But they weren’t all created equal, so we thought it would be fun to rank the 10 greatest desktop versions of this essential OS.
The Ranking Criteria
When someone says that something was the “greatest,” it suggests that it had a combination of legacy, impact, innovation, and capability for its time. That’s the recipe at play here in this ranking, which is not (and never could be) a definitive list to objectively prove which version of Windows is “the best.”

FULL ARTICLE
While many people might hate it, I loved everything about windows 7

Sadly, that's the debate that doesn't go away on here. Security is far easier for those moving forward with Microsoft. Windows 8 made it look better than it was.

It sounds appealing to freeze progress with Windows but living in the past or present won't work. Although it hurts we have to move forward. All the new security protocols for installing Windows 11 are worrying but security against the bad guys is getting a bigger and bigger issue. Using a virtual OS within the latest version of Windows is the way to go if you must have W7.

Problem with Windows 7 is the lack of support across the board with MS and new browser technologies. It was good in it's time but that time has passed.

The Ranking Criteria

FULL ARTICLE
Yeah, I read that article the other day. Personally, I thought that XP Pro SP2 x86 and W7 Ultimate x64 should have been tied for 1st place.

Problem with Windows 7 is the lack of support across the board with MS and new browser technologies. It was good in it's time but that time has passed.
Support? Oh how I wish there was an animated laughing smiley available here. There are serious PC jockeys out there who have installed W7 and not received a single Microsoft update since then and they haven't met the doom, gloom, and disaster that some people fret so much about.

That day will arrive eventually Underdog if you wait long enough. Progress keeps rolling relentlessly onward with us or without us..

Support? Oh how I wish there was an animated laughing smiley available here. There are serious PC jockeys out there who have installed W7 and not received a single Microsoft update since then and they haven't met the doom, gloom, and disaster that some people fret so much about.
There are people that don't use anti virus software either that don't get attacked. It also depends of how you use the computer also. Most malware attacks are initiated by people clicks.

I tell you at work when I came back from remote working my security manager was emailing me everyday saying I had to get rid of the Windows 7 pc.

Of course they don't receive a single MS update. MS support ended and they aren't making them available. Unless you pay.

Security updates are still sent out by Microsoft. These updates can be had after being stripped of invasive telemetry, etc. if you know where to look.

I've had mine a few weeks, pinning apps/programs to taskbar makes it easier
I hate to break this to you, especially 10 years too late, but you can pin programs to the Windows 7 taskbar quite easily.

Right click on the program's start menu or desktop shortcut, a fly out menu will appear, and lo and behold, you'll be presented with the option, "pin to taskbar".

Of course they don't receive a single MS update. MS support ended and they aren't making them available. Unless you pay.
And pay quite dearly at that. It was offered for three years, from the end of Windows 7 extended support (Jan 2020) with the price doubling each year, maxing out at either $100.00 or $200.00, depending on Win 7 version.

Back