The Alienware Aurora is getting a redesign to celebrate company's 25th anniversary

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Alienware has been around for a long time, 25 years, in fact. To celebrate hitting the quarter-of-a-century mark, the company is refreshing its Aurora gaming PC with a new design, including more space, better cooling, and an optional clear side panel.

The configurable Alienware Aurora PCs such as the R10 Ryzen Edition and R11 have long had a reputation for being powerful if expensive desktops. However, reviewers often complain about them running hot and the need for an updated case design. It seems Alienware has listened to the criticism and hopes to address it with the Aurora Legend 2.0 chassis.

While the case hasn’t undergone a major change, it comes with an optional scratch-resistant clear glass panel that shows off the Aurora’s hardware and RGB lighting—there are now eight AlienFX customizable lighting zones as opposed to the previous four. There’s also 1.5 times more internal volume compared to existing models.

The various configurations come with up to four 120mm fans and all-in-one liquid cooling options. Alienware says that the open-air layout increases airflow by 50%, offering up to 3% lower CPU temps compared to current models and a 5% increase in GPU performance. It’s also said to be up to 16% quieter at idle, up to 9% quieter during CPU-intensive tasks, and up to 15% quieter during overclocking.

Alienware also notes that the Aurora “allows the opposite right-side door to be removed with cable management features intended to mechanically and thermally isolate the wires from areas where airflow is crucial. All of which combine to make this our most accessible desktop to date with tool-less entry from each angle.”

No word on what hardware Alienware will pack inside the new Aurora, other than it will have the option of an RTX 3090. In all probability, it will be joining the Acer Predator Orion 7000 in offering Intel’s upcoming 12th-gen Alder Lake CPUs. We don’t know the price, either, but expect it to be expensive, keeping with Alienware Aurora tradition.

Permalink to story.

I’m not a fan of the Aurora.

I bought the Triad Area 51 because it was large and easy to add components- especially triple GPU- but these new towers are compact and not exciting.

Putting every single fan at an angle to increase failure rate of not only case fans but PSUs, GFX cards and CPU coolers, what a dumb idea.

Personally, I just don't see the fascination with all the decorations, etc. on any computer case. Maybe because I don't spend hours looking at the case. I guess there is a decorative value but for an old retired engineer I want FUNCTION. Give me more USB ports, an automatic hot swap-able hard drive tray(s) and more / better fans and I'll be happy. A case needs to be a function-able as possible with plenty of space for bigger GPU & CPU boards and maybe on casters too ..... now THAT would be an improvement ......

Alienware tends to do an okay job of listening to feedback, but theres always some asterisk. We fixed X this year, but now Y is a problem.
Usually, though, it boils down to Dell quality control being abysmal the last few years. A shame because they can at least design really nice products usually.

Personally, I just don't see the fascination with all the decorations, etc. on any computer case. Maybe because I don't spend hours looking at the case. I guess there is a decorative value but for an old retired engineer I want FUNCTION. Give me more USB ports, an automatic hot swap-able hard drive tray(s) and more / better fans and I'll be happy. A case needs to be a function-able as possible with plenty of space for bigger GPU & CPU boards and maybe on casters too ..... now THAT would be an improvement ......

The AREA 51 was exactly that: You could add 3 HDD, 3 SSD (or more), plenty of space for USB cards alongside those they already gave you. Unfortunately, you can't upgrade from the OEM motherboard. That's why I'm gonna build a Jonsbo TR03 once DDR5 and 13th Gen Intel CPUs are on the market. I love the design, but I need functionality.

If I'm spending a lot of money on a high-end gaming PC I'm going to build it myself, that is part of the experience for me.

Alienware, which is DELL, is likely to cheap out somewhere, case or the PSU, thermals, OEM GPU, OEM motherboard which won't get updates and so on. They don't have a good reputation among PC enthusiasts and they come with a lot of bloatware.

The AREA 51 was exactly that: You could add 3 HDD, 3 SSD (or more), plenty of space for USB cards alongside those they already gave you. Unfortunately, you can't upgrade from the OEM motherboard. That's why I'm gonna build a Jonsbo TR03 once DDR5 and 13th Gen Intel CPUs are on the market. I love the design, but I need functionality.
You can, just try to use an MSI motherboard and your best bet for a CPU cooler would be from Noctua. You need to change the front 2 fans and add one more to the front as well. I hope you have the R2 edition because if not you are in a world if pain. If R2, remember to buy small jumping cables used on practic bread boards to extend USB2 and USB3 connectors from the daughter board to your new motherboard.
I have put in a 5950X and an XFX 6900xt and they run like a charm.

I do hope Dell will simplify the case, not make it look like a plastic tank, but does an absolutely poor job of cooling. As components get more power hungry and hotter, airflow case is the way to go. The Aurora case looks special from the outside, but is overly big and totally bad for cooling.

I knew they could make this a hotter box than the R11. Stay away from A-ware desktops unless you opt for the slowest/coolest components.

Alienware can stick their current oval shaped case between two Dyson oval fans, cooling problem solved.

You can, just try to use an MSI motherboard and your best bet for a CPU cooler would be from Noctua. You need to change the front 2 fans and add one more to the front as well. I hope you have the R2 edition because if not you are in a world if pain. If R2, remember to buy small jumping cables used on practic bread boards to extend USB2 and USB3 connectors from the daughter board to your new motherboard.
I have put in a 5950X and an XFX 6900xt and they run like a charm.
What was the difference to the case from R2 to R4 (I have an R4 and it looks the same to me)? The R6 and R7 eliminated the DVD drive from the chassis but the R4 looks like the R2. I will be looking to upgrade the internals at some point (there's a 1500W gold modular PSU in this thing) - so any tips would be welcome.

Back