The AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT is now 35% under MSRP in Germany

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? In a scenario few of us expected to see for a very long time, a modern graphics card is selling for substantially less than the manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP). There are a couple of caveats—it's the much-maligned Radeon RX 6500 XT, and it is selling in Germany—but the fact it is 35% less than MSRP is yet another recent sign that the protracted GPU crisis could finally be starting to alleviate.

As spotted by Tom's Hardware, German retail giant Mindfactory has a PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT listed for €169 including VAT (at the time of writing), 35% less than its usual €229 MSRP. That new price converts directly to $189, and once Germany's 19% sales tax is removed, the figure drops to $159. There's also a dual-fan Fighter model for ten euros more.

A quick look on Newegg shows two AMD Radeon 6500 XT cards for sale: a $253 XFX model and a $224 Asrock card, both of them above the $200 MSRP. If Mindfactory's discount was applied to the US MSRP, the RDNA 2 product would be selling for around $130.

Mindfactory actually started selling the Radeon RX 6500 XT beneath MSRP over three weeks ago, but it has since lowered the previous €199 price down to €169.

Radeon RX 580 Radeon RX 5500 XT Radeon RX 6500 XT Radeon RX 6600 Radeon RX 6600 XT
Price (MSRP) $200 / $230 $170 / $200 $200 $330 $380
Release Date April 18, 2017 Dec 12, 2019 Jan 19, 2022 Oct 13, 2021 Aug 11, 2021
Core Configuration 2304 / 144 / 32 1408 / 88 / 32 1024 / 64 / 32 1792 / 112 / 64 2048 / 128 / 64
Die Size 232 mm2 158 mm2 107 mm2 237 mm2
Core / Boost Clock 1257 / 1340 MHz 1717 / 1845 MHz 2610 / 2815 MHz 1626 / 2491 MHz 1968 / 2589 MHz
Memory Type GDDR5 GDDR6
Memory Data Rate 8 Gbps 14 Gbps 18 Gbps 14 Gbps 16 Gbps
Memory Bus Width 256-bit 128-bit 64-bit 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth 256 GB/s 224 GB/s 144 GB/s 224 GB/s 256 GB/s
VRAM Capacity 4GB / 8GB 4GB 8GB
TBP 185 watts 130 watts 107 watts 132 watts 160 watts

While the GPU market in Germany can reflect current or upcoming trends, the big caveat here concerns the card in question. We hated the Radeon RX 6500 XT—our own Steve Walton called it the worst GPU release he could remember. Its PCIe x4 limitation, 4GB of VRAM, and lack of hardware encoding helped it to an abysmal score of just 20, explaining why it alone under MSRP.

However, there has been a slew of reports recently indicating that the chip shortage-induced graphics card crisis has turned a corner: cards recently hit their lowest prices in Germany since the start of 2021, Nvidia's and AMD's AIB partners are running promotions on their GPUs, and shipments increased in the fourth quarter of last year. All of which suggest obscene prices and low availability could be coming to an end, reducing the need for people to steal them from warehouses.

Permalink to story.

but the fact it is 35% less than MSRP is yet another recent sign that the protracted GPU crisis could finally be starting to alleviate.
UNQUOTE

On the contrary, it is merely proof of what we have been saying all along, that Miners are completely responsible for the insane GPU pricing.

Here's a card that no Miner can use and they can't sell it so they discount it below MSRP.

Any cards that can be used by Miners are still overpriced.

EVGA insider & youtuber Jayz said in a recent video of his that GPU's are still being bought to mine ETH and added to the global ETH mining pool so GPus that can mine are still overpriced and will remain so for ever so long that Mining remains profitable.

As I pointed before the irony in all of it is that this cards are almost exclusively worth it on intel platforms right now since you can now get a cheap Alder Lake with ddr4 support and pci-e 4.0 so the card would be ok. Not great, still overpriced but it would do just ok.

But if you want a similar budget AMD option: well now you see, as far as I can tell almost all low end motherboards that would make sense with a low entry GPU in a low price build are all pci-e 3.0 only so the card would effectively be useless to you anyway.

Nvidia's and AMD's AIB partners are running promotions on their GPUs, and shipments increased in the fourth quarter of last year. All of which suggest obscene prices and low availability could be coming to an end
UNQUOTE

As for this, there's no way that the GPU shortage is coming to an end since I have been on the EVGA EU queue for a 3080 and 3070 since October 2020 and they tell me that EVGA EU is still stuck on fulfilling September 26 2020 orders and the queue hasn't moved past that day.

According to Jayz (EVGA insider) there's literally millions of ppl on the EVGA queue who are waiting for their GPU about 2 years at this point.

A number of them have probably died while waiting at this point.

Nvidia's and AMD's AIB partners are running promotions on their GPUs, and shipments increased in the fourth quarter of last year. All of which suggest obscene prices and low availability could be coming to an end
UNQUOTE

As for this, there's no way that the GPU shortage is coming to an end since I have been on the EVGA EU queue for a 3080 and 3070 since October 2020 and they tell me that EVGA EU is still stuck on fulfilling September 26 2020 orders and the queue hasn't moved past that day.

According to Jayz (EVGA insider) there's literally millions of ppl on the EVGA queue who are waiting for their GPU about 2 years at this point.

Nvidia has moved much of their GA102 and 104 production to the 3070ti, 3080ti, and the LHR cards. The vanilla 3070 and 3080 are in limited production.

Others have gotten EVGA cards since then, including from the cue.

but the fact it is 35% less than MSRP is yet another recent sign that the protracted GPU crisis could finally be starting to alleviate.
UNQUOTE

On the contrary, it is merely proof of what we have been saying all along, that Miners are completely responsible for the insane GPU pricing.

Here's a card that no Miner can use and they can't sell it so they discount it below MSRP.

Any cards that can be used by Miners are still overpriced.

EVGA insider & youtuber Jayz said in a recent video of his that GPU's are still being bought to mine ETH and added to the global ETH mining pool so GPus that can mine are still overpriced and will remain so for ever so long that Mining remains profitable.
It's not proof of anything. It's a terrible card for everyone, that's why it's not being bought. There isn't any one single reason for most things in this world and this is no different. Other industries hit with shortages can't be blamed on miners. Are miners buying IC's from the auto industry, too?

UNQUOTE

I got two 3090s and a 3060ti from EVGA. NVIDIA is likely not making as many 3080s or 3070s as they are for other cards.

AMD underestimated consumers. They thought that they would buy anything if it was cheap. So they launched the worst GPU in recent memory. But they got it wrong, people just aren’t interested. Even if it’s cheap.

I think people with older systems might be tempted as a cheap upgrade for say an ageing Haswell or Ivy Bridge system etc but as you need PCIe 4.0 to get the most out of it I think those users will ignore it too. A second hand RX580 can be had for similar money but it works much better on an older system.

At the end of the day, if you’re going to pay above the odds for a GPU you get something decent. You don’t buy what should be a budget card for midrange money.

AMD underestimated consumers. They thought that they would buy anything if it was cheap. So they launched the worst GPU in recent memory. But they got it wrong, people just aren’t interested. Even if it’s cheap.
Unfortunately, AMD got it right when it dropped Fiji driver support so prematurely. The management knew there wouldn't be enough pushback.

Fury X was still being sold in 2017. The driver updates were discontinued halfway through 2021. That's only 4 years of support for some customers.

Drivers should be legally mandated to be provided for no less than 10 years. Instead of demanding that, though, most everyone is happy to waste their energy trying to justify AMD's anti-consumer choice.

Fury X is faster than the 6500 XT on PCI-e systems, at least in some games. Yet, in the midst of an extremely prolonged and severe shortage, AMD chose to shorten its support period for a halo product. Its management should have considered more strongly that many of the buyers of Fiji bought those out of loyalty to AMD, as Nvidia's products were faster. AMD, though, calculated that it could potentially alienate those customers.

Unfortunately, AMD got it right when it dropped Fiji driver support so prematurely. The management knew there wouldn't be enough pushback.

Fury X was still being sold in 2017. The driver updates were discontinued halfway through 2021. That's only 4 years of support for some customers.

Drivers should be legally mandated to be provided for no less than 10 years. Instead of demanding that, though, most everyone is happy to waste their energy trying to justify AMD's anti-consumer choice.

Fury X is faster than the 6500 XT on PCI-e systems, at least in some games. Yet, in the midst of an extremely prolonged and severe shortage, AMD chose to shorten its support period for a halo product. Its management should have considered more strongly that many of the buyers of Fiji bought those out of loyalty to AMD, as Nvidia's products were faster. AMD, though, calculated that it could potentially alienate those customers.
I agree with you generally but fall short of recommending legally enforced driver support. That’s a road I really don’t think we should go down. We should vote with our wallets. I had already come to the conclusion that this RX480 I’m using is my last card from AMD, for several reasons. I didn’t know that the Fury had been discontinued already. That’s actually really disgusting from AMD. It would help if tech reviewers brought this up to put pressure on AMD, even just a mention during a review for a new AMD product would be good for consumers.

I don’t have any brand loyalty. I think loyalty to a company like AMD, Nvidia or Intel etc is deeply misguided. These are large multi billion dollar tech corporations who only care about the bottom line. With all due respect, I hope you learned your lesson.

Any customer who bought fury X in 2017, which was a 2 year old 4GB failure of a GPU; after the launch of vega, deserves whatever happens to them. It's a 2015 GPU, not 2017. I can still buy a GTX 580 from newegg right now, doesnt mean nvidia is going to still support it.

Also, for the record: both the fury and fury x COMBINED has 0.01% marketshare on steam.
10 years? When is the last time you tried using such an old GPU? The GTX 580, 680, and 7970 are borderline unusable today. The world has moved on.
The fury x is utterly useless fo rmodern games, and has no userbase to support it. If AMD looses the 0.01% of th emarket that is still holding onto 7 year old failures, I think they'll be OK.

Last edited:
Any customer who bought fury X in 2017, which was a 2 year old 4GB failure of a GPU; after the launch of vega, deserves whatever happens to them. It's a 2015 GPU, not 2017. I can still buy a GTX 580 from newegg right now, doesnt mean nvidia is going to still support it.

Also, for the record: both the fury and fury x COMBINED has 0.01% marketshare on steam.

10 years? When is the last time you tried using such an old GPU? The GTX 580, 680, and 7970 are borderline unusable today. The world has moved on.

The fury x is utterly useless fo rmodern games, and has no userbase to support it. If AMD looses the 0.01% of th emarket that is still holding onto 7 year old failures, I think they'll be OK.
As someone with an R9 Fury, I can still play pretty much everything on my 21:9 1080p screen. The R9 Fury performs pretty much in line with an RX 590, so, it's far from useless.

Back