The Best 1440p Gaming Monitors: Early 2022

I bought the 27" Gigabyte M27Q TS recommended. I came from an old 24" 1080p 60Hz monitor that only had a VGA connector. Switching to 170Hz from 60Hz was huge, as someone that used to play a lot of Counter-Strike, high refresh rate was the main thing I wanted and I was not disappointed. I wasn't so impressed with the overall sharpness of a 1440p resolution, I guess a slightly bigger screen negated higher resolution. One thing that I noticed is that text in some places looks blurry and has sort of a red outline. I ran ClearType but it seems it doesn't affect text in 3rd party programs. Thought either the monitor or the cable was defective. It's only recently I found it uses GBR instead of RGB which explains the issue. Somehow I skipped that part when watching the review. It's not a big deal, so far I've had only a web browser that shows blurry text in inactive tabs. Other than that it's an overall great monitor. High refresh rate trumps higher resolution in my opinion and I would recommend that feature to anyone.

Really looking forward to your review of the AOC Agon HDR screen. The 1440p plus HDR and high regresh combo sounds really interesting if the price is right.

Prices for monitors are becoming more absurd every day.
It makes even more sense to buy an OLED TV now, like I did 2 years ago, and use that as a monitor.

You say S2721dgf has terrible contrast ratio, while you top 1440p MSI choice is only slightly better in terms of contrast 1000:1 vs 1050-1100:1. It’s quite inconsistent to praise monitor with similar ips panel while criticizing the other with both in the same class. Don’t forget about worse QC of msi compared to dell monitors.

A slight mistake in the description, the MSI MAG274QRF-QD is a 165Hz monitor, *not* 144!

I bought one at the beginning of 2021 and I've never been so happy with my purchase! Allows using my GTX 1080 to its fullest performance and is way cheaper than a new graphics card, which would be a waste on a 60Hz screen, so. Games are so smooth with a HRR monitor, and this one has wide gamut for creation content AND they added a sRGB clamp mode! YEAH! What else could you desire?

Excellent all-rounder.

EDIT: contrast ratio is decent for an IPS panel, almost 1100 on my sample, and for trained eyes, the difference is noticeable.

Back