The Best Chromebooks: Cloud-focused laptops for all kinds of users

Chromebooks are a pathetic product. There’s no reason why a normal “laptop” couldn’t be configured to do the same thing... now that they cost almost as much as a traditional laptop, you’re throwing your money away in these.

The only reason students like them is because they are “free” - that is, the school purchased them ... and the head of purchasing for educational institutions rarely have any actual tech knowledge - they see “this device is cheaper” so buy them.

I tried the Chromebook Duet a couple of days ago.

It wasn't good. And most of the problem was ChromeOS. It's really just an Android device but with a (poor) desktop environment that expects you to be online more. And the hardware wasn't good, even for the price.

Perhaps it's good for someone, but to me it seemed more like e-waste.

Wait wat? a 499 chromebook with 4gb ram and 64gb storage is your top choice?

I mean maybe if you don't consider sales, but with some sales you can beat the pants off that. at any rate, a recommend for 500 dollar chromebook with 4gb ram is on it's face pretty suspect.

If you're buying a CHROMEBOOK with FOUR GIGABYTE ram, yeah, you'd better be paying 299 or less.

Wait wat? a 499 chromebook with 4gb ram and 64gb storage is your top choice?

I mean maybe if you don't consider sales, but with some sales you can beat the pants off that. at any rate, a recommend for 500 dollar chromebook with 4gb ram is on it's face pretty suspect.

If you're buying a CHROMEBOOK with FOUR GIGABYTE ram, yeah, you'd better be paying 299 or less.

It's about the total package. The Acer has a 2256 x 1504 13.5" touchscreen, WiFi AX and a backlit keyboard. It will be hard to find laptops with those specs below $499.

Chromebooks are a pathetic product. There’s no reason why a normal “laptop” couldn’t be configured to do the same thing... now that they cost almost as much as a traditional laptop, you’re throwing your money away in these.

The only reason students like them is because they are “free” - that is, the school purchased them ... and the head of purchasing for educational institutions rarely have any actual tech knowledge - they see “this device is cheaper” so buy them.

A lot of misinformation here. Any tech purchases in schools starts with their technology staff. School system technologists love them, not only because they are relatively inexpensive, but because they are relatively simple to use and relatively trouble free. Also, the google ecosystem is robust and easy to manage from the standpoint of technology administration. I provide tech support for a private school and we are quickly moving toward all Chromebooks for the student population. I also have significant contact with the technologists at the local public schools and for all the same reasons they have adopted Chromebooks as the go to solution for the students.

A lot of misinformation here. Any tech purchases in schools starts with their technology staff. School system technologists love them, not only because they are relatively inexpensive, but because they are relatively simple to use and relatively trouble free. Also, the google ecosystem is robust and easy to manage from the standpoint of technology administration. I provide tech support for a private school and we are quickly moving toward all Chromebooks for the student population. I also have significant contact with the technologists at the local public schools and for all the same reasons they have adopted Chromebooks as the go to solution for the students.
And the problem with the technology staff is that they don’t understand education... and the educators don’t understand technology.

Just because it’s easy to use and cheap, doesn’t make it better for teaching!

Part of educating a child means showing them how tech works - much of which can’t be done on a chrome book as they are basically crippled PCs...

But the people in charge of purchasing don’t understand either - they look at dollars and cents.

And while the Google ecosystem is “free” - it really isn’t. Now Google has access to every child’s information... isn’t that a great way to teach children about privacy? Hey kid, you don’t have any :)

I used to have to offer IT support to my wife who happily downloaded every program she came across and clicked every link she saw. It was a nightmare. I gave her a Chromebook suddenly all my troubles went away. It was cheaper and had a longer battery life than any comparable laptop. Also, if she accidentally drives the car over it, then it just takes a few minutes to recover everything. They're obviously not aimed as the primary PC for most readers on here but they are a brilliant solution to many people out there (and for those of us that don't want to offer tech support to our spouses).

Here we go again - CBs are junk etc - I'm not sure the people criticising understand there reason to be ( as we say in french ).
It's limitations are also it's pluses ( strange but true - so I'll repeat it as it counter intuitive )
It's limitations are also it's pluses.

You compare it to a gimped laptop
You could easily compare it to a souped up tablet ( start adding keyboards , mice,sd cards to your IPAD - what's that ( only pro models that are super expensive can get some of these cheap benefits )

Your child leaves the CB at school on a desk -maybe you go back , maybe you don't
Your child leaves an Imac , Surface Pro on the desk - You go back , you find the cleaner whatever

Oh but grandma you need a surface pro because who knows you can learn Java, how to use cmd and write scripts , run lots and lots of programs she has never heard of or needed .

The final huge benefit for a 1 pc family - teen kids installing progs from who knows where, browser add ons for torrents or whatever .
Internet banking safety of 2 devices - transfer on very safe CB ( if chrome hacked there - most likely hacked on Windows, Apple ) - 2FA with phone code/approval .
Ie mainly one point of attack - ignoring dodgy usb devices . Compared to windows/chrome/oracle/steam/winrar/adobe/vpn etc etc etc

Here we go again - CBs are junk etc - I'm not sure the people criticising understand there reason to be ( as we say in french ).
It's limitations are also it's pluses ( strange but true - so I'll repeat it as it counter intuitive )
It's limitations are also it's pluses.

You compare it to a gimped laptop
You could easily compare it to a souped up tablet ( start adding keyboards , mice,sd cards to your IPAD - what's that ( only pro models that are super expensive can get some of these cheap benefits )

Your child leaves the CB at school on a desk -maybe you go back , maybe you don't
Your child leaves an Imac , Surface Pro on the desk - You go back , you find the cleaner whatever

Oh but grandma you need a surface pro because who knows you can learn Java, how to use cmd and write scripts , run lots and lots of programs she has never heard of or needed .

The final huge benefit for a 1 pc family - teen kids installing progs from who knows where, browser add ons for torrents or whatever .
Internet banking safety of 2 devices - transfer on very safe CB ( if chrome hacked there - most likely hacked on Windows, Apple ) - 2FA with phone code/approval .
Ie mainly one point of attack - ignoring dodgy usb devices . Compared to windows/chrome/oracle/steam/winrar/adobe/vpn etc etc etc
Here's the thing.... the Chromebook was built on the premise that "kids don't need fancy" or "they can't understand Windows"...

Guess what... the average elementary student (let alone secondary) is probably more knowledgeable about Windows than an adult... and even if they aren't... part of the purpose of giving a child technology is to TEACH them how to use the technology.

Learning the Google ecosphere, while useful, can easily be done on Google Chrome within Windows.... and learning how to use a "real" PC/laptop is far more valuable.

The ONLY purpose a Chromebook has is being CHEAP. Anyone with money should be buying something else.

Here's the thing.... the Chromebook was built on the premise that "kids don't need fancy" or "they can't understand Windows"...

Guess what... the average elementary student (let alone secondary) is probably more knowledgeable about Windows than an adult... and even if they aren't... part of the purpose of giving a child technology is to TEACH them how to use the technology.

Learning the Google ecosphere, while useful, can easily be done on Google Chrome within Windows.... and learning how to use a "real" PC/laptop is far more valuable.

The ONLY purpose a Chromebook has is being CHEAP. Anyone with money should be buying something else.
Here's the thing citation needed - CBs came in 2011- No reference to education - some for field workers, pushing cloud backup of data etc.
Google did give a alot away to schools in 2012.
Asus noted school buyers 2013
Google Classrooms created 2014
CBs are not for learning programming or PCs - Citations needed for this being their purpose .

Lots of schools have programming clubs etc for this endeavour

CBs in school are a tool to assist learning of lots of subjects

giving kids push scooters is bad as they can not learn bicycle mechanics .
Bikes can go faster , big wheels allow multiple terrain.- like PCs they require more maintenance , understanding , harder to learn

Scooters are limited - can go on footpath - easy to put in car , some fold down and are cheaper , a 2 year old can use it straightway - the topline chromebook scooters are robust and can do tricks

Here's the thing citation needed - CBs came in 2011- No reference to education - some for field workers, pushing cloud backup of data etc.
Google did give a alot away to schools in 2012.
Asus noted school buyers 2013
Google Classrooms created 2014
CBs are not for learning programming or PCs - Citations needed for this being their purpose .

Lots of schools have programming clubs etc for this endeavour

CBs in school are a tool to assist learning of lots of subjects

giving kids push scooters is bad as they can not learn bicycle mechanics .
Bikes can go faster , big wheels allow multiple terrain.- like PCs they require more maintenance , understanding , harder to learn

Scooters are limited - can go on footpath - easy to put in car , some fold down and are cheaper , a 2 year old can use it straightway - the topline chromebook scooters are robust and can do tricks
I work in education - and I can tell you why our school district (and many others) purchased Chromebooks - because they are simple and cheap.

There are about 40 million being used in education - and the total amount of Chromebooks shipped this year was... wait for it... 30 million... and that's with 2021 being the best year ever for them.

No, not every Chromebook is for education - there are probably a couple hundred million Chromebooks kicking around... but that's still a pretty large %...

And most public school districts are strapped for cash - so Chromebooks win because you can buy 2 for every Windows Laptop...

Back