The Best Smartphones: What You Should Buy From $200 to Over $1,000

Apple or Samsung? Really?! I recently picked up a Xiaomi Mi9 and it's a beast for the price. Oneplus 7T deserves much more than a "value phone" spot, it's pretty expensive after all.

Huawei P20/P30 didn't even make the list? (guess the trade wars are real). As for the budget market there are tons of "lesser known" brands nowadays with things like the ulefone armor. They are not super fast but have a ton of features.

I love my Google Pixel 3a XL. Best phone I've ever owned and have had the highest end phones from Samsung and Apple.

I will never, EVER own another Samsung. I've had three of them and they were all crippled by their garbage software. Of course I won't own anything without a physical QWERTY either so I guess its Blackberry or nothing now.

I have terrible experience with Samsung phones. Whenever I install few apps, the battery starts to drain quickly (I don't know if Samsung or Android is to blame). I think Xiaomi and Huawei are currently the best android phone makers except for the camera.

I think Asus Zenfone 6 2019 should have been the best value phone. Otherwise, yes, this looks like a paid advertisement by Samsung and Apple.

I never understand why Samsung gets so much love. Honestly, their phones have been generally terrible in my experience, loads of bloatware, extremely slow software updates and battery life is never that stellar yet, they cost more than the competition which are mostly doing all of that better than Samsung.

Then again, I'm one of those who prefers battery life and decent software over camera quality.

Just to counter some of the negativity here... I have owned three iPhones, one HTC, and two LG (all top end). My current S10e is the first Samsung phone I've ever owned. It's also been the best of the bunch. No complaints.

No mention of the Moto Z4 either. It's an amazing phone for $500, with arguably the best camera on the market right now.

I have terrible experience with Samsung phones. Whenever I install few apps, the battery starts to drain quickly (I don't know if Samsung or Android is to blame). I think Xiaomi and Huawei are currently the best android phone makers except for the camera.

Xiaomi and Huawei are in the top 3 for their cameras! (shown below)
Another has Pixel and P30 beating Samsung and Apple! Another two have the P30 in the top 3!

DXOMARK With an overall score of 121, the Xiaomi Mi CC9 Pro Premium Edition has tied with the Huawei Mate 30 Pro for the highest overall Camera score of any phone we have tested so far.

No wonder why many tech sites simply opt not to have user comments with all the negativity around. Instead of calling out on the picks (which seem well backed up by reviews) how about offering some alternatives based on your experiences like other readers have done?

Huawei is done in my book, no matter how good the reviews since the software is compromised once you cannot use Google services or the Play Store. Xiaomi looks super compelling for the price, but I haven't owned one, they are not so readily available in my area. Moto G is a good entry level phone, but the Nokias are better looking and better designed, plus get timely updates, but then again, I don't shop budget.

The Pixel 3a is a killer phone (bought two for relatives) if you don't need bells and whistles, or high-end specs. In that regard the OnePlus 7T is the flagship killer, it misses a few features like wireless charging or expandable storage, but it's otherwise amazing what you get for the price.

No wonder why many tech sites simply opt not to have user comments with all the negativity around. Instead of calling out on the picks (which seem well backed up by reviews) how about offering some alternatives based on your experiences like other readers have done?

Huawei is done in my book, no matter how good the reviews since the software is compromised once you cannot use Google services or the Play Store. Xiaomi looks super compelling for the price, but I haven't owned one, they are not so readily available in my area. Moto G is a good entry level phone, but the Nokias are better looking and better designed, plus get timely updates, but then again, I don't shop budget.

The Pixel 3a is a killer phone (bought two for relatives) if you don't need bells and whistles, or high-end specs. In that regard the OnePlus 7T is the flagship killer, it misses a few features like wireless charging or expandable storage, but it's otherwise amazing what you get for the price.
Come on man, where do you think your android or apple etc phones are made? The USA is the reason you can't use google apps. Never owned one their phones, just don't let people throw bs in your face. Personally I couldn't go without the google play store.

Isn't it lame, that now, even something as simple as buying a smart phones is political smh

"The Chinese company is already the world's largest telecommunications equipment maker. It was on track to overtake Samsung as the No. 1 seller of smartphones this year, until it landed on a US trade blacklist. The restriction bars US companies like Google (GOOGL), Intel (INTC) and Broadcom (AVGO) from selling to Huawei unless they obtain a government license to do so. "
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/26/tech/huawai-smartphone-ren-zhengfei/index.html

I was just looking at it on Amazon. That seems to be an amazing phone with an even more amazing price! Lots of good reviews too.

I got mine from Gearbest for $320cdn. It makes you wonder what all the fuss is about with flagships. Constant app updates. I got a major MIUI update (11.3.3 from 10), security update and Android 10 update is coming. I'm finally enjoying two day battery life and 4G+.

Last edited:
iPhone 11 Pro will be on top of my list, considering the good reviews that it had after launch. I will still stick with my Huawei P30 Pro since I am satisfied with the performance of this smartphone.
Just curious, what country and carrier you on?

Huawei and Xiaomi phones are vastly superior to Apple and Samsung (and a lot cheaper in price), but I take it your list is U.S only.

I would be interested how secure facial unlock in these phones, it is not just about how cheap a phone is for everyday people and how long it will keep that performance. Generally speaking Samsung/Huawei/Google Pixel phones are better than the others, but Huawei's warranty is one of the absolute terrible (separate warranty for separate accessories comes with the phone, wait what?), you have to send it back to them before get another phone? what is this 2010? With a samsung or Apple device you will bring it in and they replace it. Xiaomi is the same warranty is absolutely one of the worst. With an expensive phone you are paying for the better support/warranty.

I couldn't stand almost no Xiaomi in this list. Normally I don't comment much, but I cannot leave this one without calling out such an obvious omission. The Redmi Note 8 Pro, Mi 9T Pro or the recent Mi Note 10 are all EXCELLENT value! I understand your choice of iPhones, s10e, s10+. I think OT 7T is good value (in all-rounder side of things), but you cannot just plainly ignore the Xiaomi Mi Note 10 (in camera-wise value).

You can call negative sides guys, they all have them, but in all-rounder market Xiaomi and OT are impressive values.

Also something missing from the article is that Samsung is probably THE worst at updating their phones. After 1 year they abandon their flagship models. how many people still have S8 and S9 phones that will be forever stuck on what they launched with and never get a software update. Not to mention older phones. I still have a Oneplus 3 and I'm on android 10. How many Samsung S6 users can say that?
Tons of bloatware that you cannot uninstall without rooting the phone - who still does that?!

Then let's not start with Apple's disgusting anti-repair practices. They made their OS not work when you replace the screen or other parts of your phone! Such scumbaggery should be rewarded with giant RED "never buy an apple device again" warnings from everyone making these kinds of suggestions. Until people stand up to Apple they will keep doing stupid stuff like that.

The Xiaomi Mi9T I got for 300$ is amazing. I love the full screen and I didn't even sacrifice the headphone jack which I use daily. My brother went and bought the newer Mi Note 10.

Waterproof, vast array of cases for shockproof(Spigen!), wireless charging, quality camera w/image stabilization... TMobile wifi access

Only one company has all of that - I wish others followed suit but as it stands, Samsung's S series is pretty much all that TMobile has to offer. I need it to be waterproof for the occasional pool and/or hot tub waterfall I light up. I need the case options because I'm often 12' in the air and occasionally my phone drops from the rafter, Spigen cases have never failed me. Camera requirement is simply because I need to take pin-cam pics of some part numbers that are behind secondary AV racks, the IS is CRUCIAL for identification and registration purposes.

The wireless charging? I'm not going to deny it, my Lumia 920 spoiled me... I will never buy a phone without wireless charging, it's just too damn convenient :)

The problem I have with Xiaomi and Huawei is their software. It looks almost nothing like Android and is just one giant piece of bloatware. I like the Android One phones that they have but they are usually lower end. Samsungs One UI looks like a masterpiece compared to theirs.

The problem I have with Xiaomi and Huawei is their software. It looks almost nothing like Android and is just one giant piece of bloatware. I like the Android One phones that they have but they are usually lower end. Samsungs One UI looks like a masterpiece compared to theirs.
The Xiaomi mi 9 we have is as close to stock as you can get. There was also no bloatware pre-installed on it and it also doesn't lock applications from being uninstalled.

So not sure where you are getting these ideas from. Someone else also said huawei has spyware in it, where is the proof of these claims?
Or that the google app stores don't work on these devices, again complete nonsense.

Back