The Best Smartphones

Julio Franco

Staff member
Every phone listed here is an oversized phablet. I used mine for 3 years till I decided to go back to the essentials and purchased an iPhone 6S just 6 month ago (didn't like iPhone 7). Now it's just what does the job best for me.

So the article's best is very subjective. And giving the best rating to the most fragile phone? - please! How many phones with cracked screens do you see around? I see plenty everywhere. And S8 is here to make it worse.

Last edited:
I find it funny how we can have "Best Overall Phone", "Best Flaghship for less" and so on and in the end there is a special category needed just for Apple because their phones can't fit in any of these.
That's why there's a (for now) beside their category. Samsung and Apple leapfrog each other annually. If this list is updated later this year after the new iPhone release expect it to sit atop as the best.

Every phone listed here is an oversized phablet.
Most phones with a larger size have better battery life at a minimum, thus they are better.
I decided to go back to the essentials and purchased an iPhone 6S just 6 month ago (didn't like iPhone 7). Now it's just what does the job best for me.
An iPhone 6s is going back to the essentials? Talk about subjective. A Moto G4 play would be closer to getting back to essentials.
So the article's best is very subjective. And giving the best rating to the most fragile phone? - please! How many phones with cracked screens do you see around? I see plenty everywhere. And S8 is here to make it worse.
People see as many or more cracked iPhones around hence the industry built around replacing their screens. Almost all phones are fragile and all the best sellers are near equally so. The best advice is to get a case or insurance.

"It’s unfortunate that the 7 Plus doesn’t include a headphone jack, but if you want the best iOS hardware currently available, using a dongle with your 3.5mm-wired headphones is a minor annoyance you’ll have to put up with."

I love how the writers on this site just can't let this go.... but let's not forget that the iPhone 7 comes with lightning wired headphones that don't need a dongle....and the majority of smartphone users use bluetooth, so it's an irrelevant issue.

Also, people always say "we see more cracked iPhone screens than any other phone"... this isn't because they are more fragile than other phones - it's because there are more iPhones sold than any other phone!! The Galaxy is far more fragile, and kudos to the writer for mentioning this important fact.

A phones is a phone is a phone. It all depends on how much money you're willing to blow on one and the one you've finally chosen is the best one (for you). When all is said and done, they all do exactly the same thing. They're just a means to an end, a tool if you will and should be viewed as such.

and the majority of smartphone users use bluetooth, so it's an irrelevant issue.
Citation needed
Also, people always say "we see more cracked iPhone screens than any other phone"... this isn't because they are more fragile than other phones - it's because there are more iPhones sold than any other phone!!
One could argue the curved, edge to edge screen of the Galaxy S8, S8+ and upcoming Note 8 is more fragile than your standard bezel phone but it's only to a small degree. All phones screens that aren't rugged plastic models will crack/break when dropped unprotected from varying heights.

Also another important distinction would be that the iPhone is sold more in the US than any other smartphone. In Europe and Asia this is not the case.

I usually will buy a "last years" big deal, instead of "this years" big deal when I'm looking to upgrade my
phone. Bought a Mate2, when the OnePlus One came out, then last fall bought a Mate8 when the Mate9
came out. HUGE battery life, and I've never had a phone with a smaller than 5" screen. Started out with
a Dell Streak5, Note1, Mate2, Mate8, and when the Mate 8 starts to fade in a couple years, I'll probably
go with a 6.4" screen because it will probably have a 5,000mAH battery.

"It’s unfortunate that the 7 Plus doesn’t include a headphone jack, but if you want the best iOS hardware currently available, using a dongle with your 3.5mm-wired headphones is a minor annoyance you’ll have to put up with."

I love how the writers on this site just can't let this go.... but let's not forget that the iPhone 7 comes with lightning wired headphones that don't need a dongle....and the majority of smartphone users use bluetooth, so it's an irrelevant issue.

Also, people always say "we see more cracked iPhone screens than any other phone"... this isn't because they are more fragile than other phones - it's because there are more iPhones sold than any other phone!! The Galaxy is far more fragile, and kudos to the writer for mentioning this important fact.

Got it fan boy! take it easy no one is forcefully pushing any phone to you. what I am suppose to do with lightening headphone when I spent lot of cash on shure and sennheiser?

Every phone listed here is an oversized phablet. I used mine for 3 years till I decided to go back to the essentials and purchased an iPhone 6S just 6 month ago (didn't like iPhone 7). Now it's just what does the job best for me.

galaxy S8 with 5.8 screen (5.86 x 2.68 x 0.31 in)
Iphone 6s with 4.7 screen (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in)
they are almost the same size the only difference is that you got an expensive piece of junk with 90s hardware , also I'm curious what essentials do you talk about ?

Citation needed

Here you go :) and this is before the 7 was released...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...-for-first-time-with-apples-beats-in-top-spot

One could argue the curved, edge to edge screen of the Galaxy S8, S8+ and upcoming Note 8 is more fragile than your standard bezel phone but it's only to a small degree. All phones screens that aren't rugged plastic models will crack/break when dropped unprotected from varying heights.

One could... but this article clearly states that the S8 IS more fragile...

Also another important distinction would be that the iPhone is sold more in the US than any other smartphone. In Europe and Asia this is not the case.

Overall sales still favour the iPhone over any single other brand....

And from the same link you posted.

"Note that the "surpassing" was in revenue, not in unit sales. Traditional wired headphones still outsell BT headphones by a very wide margin."

Yep, a lot of people are so self-absorbed that they don't realize that there are entire groups that have completely different needs or wants. I use wired only, good noise isolating & active noise cancelling in-ear headphones. Try any BT headphone on a FLSTN with 39" unbaffled Cholo pipes, you ain't hearing anything. Not too mention, most wireless headphones that I'd consider portable & durable enough for a 600 miles ride sound like garbage & will only get you a couple hours of play time when out riding on the highway in the 100F+ summer heat in the southwest. At any rate, the best phone is like arguing the best socks or underwear. What's best is what fits the individuals usage profile & budget.

And from the same link you posted.

"Note that the "surpassing" was in revenue, not in unit sales. Traditional wired headphones still outsell BT headphones by a very wide margin."
Yes.... but most wired headphones are being purchased for steroes, PCs, TVs, etc... not smartphones... smartphone headphones are becoming more and more wireless.... and it's only 69/31% overall.... considering all the other uses for headphones, that shows just how dominant the wireless component is for smartphones.

No one is arguing that wired headphones are of better quality - but when your source is a smartphone, the difference becomes negligible.... 99% of people won't be able to tell the difference between a $500 pair of wired headphones and $50 wireless buds if it's paired with a phone :)

Also, people always say "we see more cracked iPhone screens than any other phone"... this isn't because they are more fragile than other phones - it's because there are more iPhones sold than any other phone!!

Wow- quite the delusional fanboy, huh? Yes, by model, iPhones sell more than any other phone (because there's only one choice). But when comparing iOS to Android phones sold, Apple has less than a 10% market share, hence there are FAR more non-iPhones than iPhones in the world- and more of them are shattered than Android phones. My mother's iphone 7 was busted within a month and she didn't even drop it.

Wow- quite the delusional fanboy, huh? Yes, by model, iPhones sell more than any other phone (because there's only one choice). But when comparing iOS to Android phones sold, Apple has less than a 10% market share, hence there are FAR more non-iPhones than iPhones in the world- and more of them are shattered than Android phones. My mother's iphone 7 was busted within a month and she didn't even drop it.

This again?

I'll let the others poke arguments in this weak argument.
One could... but this article clearly states that the S8 IS more fragile...
The same article that has a special Apple section since it's not the best in any category. If you're going to appeal to authority you've made the wrong appeal son.
Overall sales still favour the iPhone over any single other brand....
Brand or model? Brand it's not close. Model you have an argument in the USA but not in the world.

One winner per category isn't really helpful imho. There are way too many options out there to have just one winner. Especially when you've included last gen phones as winners in this list.

Three categories, with three winners. Seems this can be done with other products: cars, cameras, computers, etc.

In the car category, the winner is ... HUMMER. Affordable runner up? Priced low, medium & high. Then the fanboy-whinger's prizes. The industries & manufacturers actually have much better definitions of the categories. Financials ok. But size & intended use seem more important, perhaps.

That's why there's a (for now) beside their category. Samsung and Apple leapfrog each other annually. If this list is updated later this year after the new iPhone release expect it to sit atop as the best.

That still does not mean it should have its own category - then each smartphone manufacturer should it have it. Just like - If you do not like our pick - the S8 - here's a bunch of others like Best from Huawei ( for now ) , Best for HTC ( for now ) and so on. If a fantastic option where Pixel XL is listed is still out of discussion for iPhone 7 Plus ( not even considered as a running contender for second place ) then it should not be listed anywhere. Maybe create a list like budgetless smartphone.
The title says The best smartphones not The best smartphones from Android and the best from Apple. It's a general classification not based on their running OS.

And yes, probably the next iPhone will be good as it has always been, but I am also hoping Note 8 will be an even better finished product than S8 was.

That still does not mean it should have its own category - then each smartphone manufacturer should it have it. Just like - If you do not like our pick - the S8 - here's a bunch of others like Best from Huawei ( for now ) , Best for HTC ( for now ) and so on. If a fantastic option where Pixel XL is listed is still out of discussion for iPhone 7 Plus ( not even considered as a running contender for second place ) then it should not be listed anywhere. Maybe create a list like budgetless smartphone.
The title says The best smartphones not The best smartphones from Android and the best from Apple. It's a general classification not based on their running OS.

And yes, probably the next iPhone will be good as it has always been, but I am also hoping Note 8 will be an even better finished product than S8 was.
I don't think fairness or parity is necessary in this case for all manufacturers. In the USA, Australia, and parts of the EU Apple phones make up a disproportionate share of the smartphone market when compared to global market share. This being an English speaking site for the most part Apple/Samsung do really need their own categories when the other has the best phone crown (for the moment).

The only major distinction between each phone is the OS and Samsung and Apple are the two biggest and best in the game right now, driving the industry as no other manufacturer's have. For most they've made their choice in OS and are not switching so representation for both Android and iOS makes the list complete for all smartphone users.

Had there not been a nod to the Pixel XL the list would be incomplete to me. I think there should also be a "best pure android" category going forward for people who are not willing to go iOS nor want manufacturer tweaks to their OS. If there were truly only 1 best it would be a single category affair.

I too hope the Note 8 signifies a grand return to form for that line. I haven't owned a Note since the 2 but it was a great phone when screen sizes were too small, lasting well more than 2 years without issue.

I don't think fairness or parity is necessary in this case for all manufacturers. In the USA, Australia, and parts of the EU Apple phones make up a disproportionate share of the smartphone market when compared to global market share. This being an English speaking site for the most part Apple/Samsung do really need their own categories when the other has the best phone crown (for the moment).

The only major distinction between each phone is the OS and Samsung and Apple are the two biggest and best in the game right now, driving the industry as no other manufacturer's have. For most they've made their choice in OS and are not switching so representation for both Android and iOS makes the list complete for all smartphone users.

Had there not been a nod to the Pixel XL the list would be incomplete to me. I think there should also be a "best pure android" category going forward for people who are not willing to go iOS nor want manufacturer tweaks to their OS. If there were truly only 1 best it would be a single category affair.

I too hope the Note 8 signifies a grand return to form for that line. I haven't owned a Note since the 2 but it was a great phone when screen sizes were too small, lasting well more than 2 years without issue.

I can agree with you regarding availability of some smartphones - I did not take that into consideration.
But then yet again - Mi 6 shouldn't it be out of the list ? Its availability right now is pretty limited.

I can agree with you regarding availability of some smartphones - I did not take that into consideration.
But then yet again - Mi 6 shouldn't it be out of the list ? Its availability right now is pretty limited.
I agree with you - no matter how easily one can be imported it's not widely available in English Speaking Countries. Something like the One Plus Five or the ZTE Axon 7 might have been a better choice (I'm about a year behind on unlocked phones so please forgive the suggestions).

Back