The "Best" Video Formats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksaber11

Okay, so I use MediaCoder, an opensource audio/video transcoding program. Originally I used it to convert everything into AVI's using Xvid and MP3 as my video and audio codecs, but since I discovered the H.264 codec, and began doing some reading about media containers and codecs, I have become disenfranchised with the AVI standard.

Does anyone have any recommendations for containers and codecs that I should use to achieve the maximum compression and quality for my video files, while still retaining some ability to play them on at least a few different media players.

For high quality videos I prefer h.264 in a matroska container. Choose your audio codec according to the source after that. I think it's pretty hard to say which is best, though, since it somewhat depends on the situation.

For high quality videos I prefer h.264 in a matroska container. Choose your audio codec according to the source after that. I think it's pretty hard to say which is best, though, since it somewhat depends on the situation.

What do you like about Matroska? I thought it's only real advantages were that it supports multiple audio and subtitle streams. (Which in most cases I don't care about.)

Multiple audio and subtitle streams are pretty important to me so that's one biggie. Decent speed seeking in the file is also good - although I occassionally have some problems with this on HD material but it may not be the container's fault. The ability to do a menu system - even though I've never actually seen anyone do this. All free tools which are pretty easy to find for any of the 3 current major platforms.

*edit* Forgot to mention - it's starting to get hardware support - only a matter of time before it hits widely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back