The Day Before switches to Unreal Engine 5, gets delayed until 2023

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? One of the most anticipated games of 2022 won't arrive during this calendar year as originally planned. On Thursday, developer Fntastic told IGN that open-world survival MMO game The Day Before is now being built on Epic's Unreal Engine 5. The switch will greatly enhance the title's gameplay but unfortunately means a delay is in order.

Previously scheduled to launch on June 21, the game is now slated for March 1, 2023.

Fntastic shared the announcement trailer for The Day Before in January 2021. The game is set in a post-pandemic America overrun by flesh-hungry infected and other survivors hell-bent on… well, staying alive.

Back in January, the developer dropped an updated GeForce RTX 4K trailer that looks gorgeous. With Unreal Engine 5 now in the mix, the game is likely to be even more visually stunning.

If you aren't already familiar with The Day Before, you may be in the minority. It is currently Steam's most wishlisted game ahead of other highly anticipated titles like Stalker 2, Hollow Knight: Silksong, and Starfield.

In March, Epic Games announced a multi-year partnership with CD Projekt Red to help tailor UE5 for open-world experiences. It was also revealed that the next entry in the popular Witcher franchise will be built on Epic's new engine, which was just released to the public in April.

Permalink to story.

How many of these boring types of games will they make?
It wouldn't be so bad if they were good games.
Most recently Days Gone was supposed to "the one" for me, but it didn't turn out so great.
I tried to like World War Z (bought) and Back 4 Blood (both betas) - both annoyed me.
Only one that survived for me has been L4D2 that I still play. I'll keep my fingers crossed a real multiplayer zombie contender eventually comes out. Co-op even. Could happen!

Ambitious MMO shifting to an entirely new and unproven engine months before release? Is not like MMOs have over a decade history of botched released and under-delivering on hype what can possibly go wrong!?

It wouldn't be so bad if they were good games.
Most recently Days Gone was supposed to "the one" for me, but it didn't turn out so great.
I tried to like World War Z (bought) and Back 4 Blood (both betas) - both annoyed me.
Only one that survived for me has been L4D2 that I still play. I'll keep my fingers crossed a real multiplayer zombie contender eventually comes out. Co-op even. Could happen!

L4D(2) is in a league of its own...

Alot of games are making jump to UE5. Apparently its much much more scalable for MMOs and better in a lot of ways.

How many of these boring types of games will they make?
I guess they don't have to waste time coming up with a unique idea and using zombies means you don't need to come up with any clever AI (if standing near resource then stay still and groan, if player nearby then stagger towards player waving arms about). Using UE5 just means you don't have to work hard to make it pretty. That only leaves the really difficult part of finding people who still want to play these games.

Back