The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition is out today

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Bethesda over the summer announced a new version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the popular open-world action role-playing game. It’s out today, and if you’re wondering if you should purchase yet another edition of Skyrim, Bethesda has a new trailer that it hopes will sway your decision.

Bethesda’s Todd Howard, who led development on Skyrim, told The Guardian in a recent interview that the game’s popularity simply didn’t wane after launch. This led to the studio spending more time on updates and expansions than originally planned.

“Usually after a while we’d have moved the bulk of the team over to the next project, which was Fallout 4, but we were still doing Skyrim stuff,” Howard said.

In fact, Bethesda ended up moving Fallout 4 further back on the roadmap in part due to Skyrim’s popularity.

Howard also revealed that of the 450 people that now work at Bethesda, many of them ended up there because of Skyrim. Some even came directly from the modding community.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition is available from today on virtually every modern console, save for the Nintendo Switch (you’ll have to settle with the standard release on Nintendo’s handheld). It bundles together Skyrim Special Edition with every piece of Creation Club content launched to date, plus some additional content like fishing.

Skyrim's new fishing mode lets players angle more than 20 unique species from the game's various bodies of water. Catches can be cooked up for a meal, displayed as trophies or even put into aquariums as pets.

Pricing is set at $49.99, or $19.99 if you already own Skyrim Special Edition. Will you be picking it up?

Permalink to story.

Played through 3x. Is there a 4th? Will check reviews and articles, but it is a 'likely' at this time.

Glad there were mods which made it enjoyable play rather than a struggle.

A single good mod like Legacy of the Dragonborn, adds like twice as many items, quests, custom house, new mechanics and things to do as this entire pack and it's completely free AND it already interacts with many, many other mods to add a ton of content.

This is basically a case of "Ok if you only ever want to play in console" otherwise you don't even need to know much about modding to get a single package that puts this entire anniversary edition to shame so why would anyone bother? Even if you just want vanilla looking content and assets don't bother unless Bethesda makes it 100% free or almost free like maybe pay 5 bucks for it in 2 years if you're feeling generous.

I guess Bethesda will stop remaking it when we stop buying it. I’ve purchased it three times, Xbox360, PC and switch. But I’m not buying this, I’m not exactly sure what the difference is, if it’s better graphics then meh, I’ve stuffed it with mods already.

This POS and GTA5 are the games that will get "new" releases until 2070...

My experience with Skyrim was always, install it, see that it's unfinished and outdated, start installing mods and after a few days to a week of modding, and just a few hours play time, get bored, fed up and uninstall this POS.

I recently went thru with the biggest modding I ever did (I know there are bigger) of 700 mods and after 1 week of modding, following a guide, running smooth, no issues, no crashes I again stopped playing it after 2 days of play time...

Even with 700 mods this game is still a POS, mainly the horrible animations and boring gameplay. You can mod graphics and even sounds and quests and whatever to look good, but no amount of mods can change those jarring animations and gameplay enough to bring it intro 2021 level of (fun) gaming.

Well I remember when fishing and not phishing was the hobby of choice.

Anyway why would I want to play this version when it breaks all previous mods, even it were free for SE owners?

Back