The Epic Games Store is giving away Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden and Hyper Light Drifter

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: A lot of people still aren’t fans of the Epic Games Store, but it continues to try and tempt users onto its service by offering a combination of exclusives and free games. When it comes to the latter, Epic is currently offering not one but two titles at the cost of zero dollars: Hyper Light Drifter and Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

As before, grabbing these free games only requires an Epic Games Store account. Once they’re in your library, you own them forever. It’s the third time in a month that Epic has offered two free games in a week, which shows how much they’re trying to entice those who won’t move beyond Steam.

Unlike most free games, which tend to be at least a couple of years old, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden only released on December 4 last year. Those who recently paid full price for it, as I almost did, will doubtlessly be annoyed it's now free, though it’s a bit surprising to see a game not even eight months old being given away.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, which is based on the table-top role-playing game, mixes the turn-based combat of XCOM with real-time stealth and exploration mechanics. It has a 'Very Positive' rating on Steam, where it’s still full price, and received many glowing reviews from publications such as GameSpot.

Hyper Light Drifter, meanwhile, isn’t as recent, having been released in 2016, but it's equally well-reviewed. This action-adventure RPG is an homage to 16-bit games and has been described as mixing elements of Diablo’s dungeon crawling with exploration akin to The Legend of Zelda.

The free games are available now up until August 22, at which point the classic puzzle platformer Fez will become the next freebie.

Permalink to story.

If by claiming these games, the devs get commission by Epic, I'm willing to grab them. Though still not willing to give Epic money.

Never heard off. Any good, worth SSD space? But first and foremost - decent singleplayer campaign?

Way too expensive for me to care. I'll stick with the tens of unplayed games I already have.
Free games are way too expensive for you?
Me having to use EPS and becoming part of their ecosystem is too expensive. The more people register the more excuses they'll have to become even more anti-consumer.
It's just like how I don't buy EA, Konami or games from other publishers/devs where I feel like I'm being treated like an ***** by them. I like feeling like I still have some self respect.

tl;dr nothing is "free"

Me having to use EPS and becoming part of their ecosystem is too expensive. The more people register the more excuses they'll have to become even more anti-consumer.
It's just like how I don't buy EA, Konami or games from other publishers/devs where I feel like I'm being treated like an ***** by them. I like feeling like I still have some self respect.

tl;dr nothing is "free"
We use electronic payment systems everywhere now unless I'm missing something? They're taking a loss here because Fortnite is doing so well, I say just take them up on their offer, it won't cost you a penny.
I do think that a good competitor to steam is necessary. They have stagnated for the last 6 years because there's been no need to improve or innovate.

We use electronic payment systems everywhere now unless I'm missing something? They're taking a loss here because Fortnite is doing so well, I say just take them up on their offer, it won't cost you a penny.
I do think that a good competitor to steam is necessary. They have stagnated for the last 6 years because there's been no need to improve or innovate.
Yeah no. I have a problem with EPS and the way they treat everybody like *****s. I will not use it in any way shape or form. Steam needs competition, EPS is not competition, they are just locking down games in a bad store. What should Valve do? Remove basic features like shopping cart to better compete? I will not support those that brought third party exclusivity cancer from the consoles to the PC.

GOG demonstrated how you can do proper competition with the CD Projekt Red deal they made and how they brought new innovative features to the market. A third of Cyberpunk 2077's digital preorders on PC have been made on GOG. EPS is just pissing on the PC market and some people seem to think that's a good thing.

And what do electronic payments have to do with this? O_o Are confused about the whole "expensive" thing?

Back