The first Mini PCs powered by AMD Ryzen Embedded processors start arriving in early 2020

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: AMD has opened up it Ryzen ecosystem to OEMs wishing to build high-powered, SSF PCs. For those in the market for small form factor PC solutions for enterprise or industrial use, four OEMs have already introduced rigs with AMD Ryzen processors.

On Tuesday, AMD announced that it is initiating an “open ecosystem” for its Ryzen Embedded V1000 and R1000 processors. The move will allow OEMs to customize and create high-performance Mini PCs for the industrial, media, communications, and enterprise markets.

Several companies have already begun announcing rigs, including ASRock Industrial, EEPD, OnLogic, and Simply NUC. Some models are already taking pre-orders.

ASRock has the 4X4 Box-R1000V featuring an AMD Ryzen Embedded R-series processor that supports triple displays through one HDMI and two DisplayPorts. It can handle up to 32GB of dual-channel DDR4 SO-DIMM 2400MHz. Prices are available upon inquiry.

EEPD announced two options — the SBC Profive NUCV and the SBC Profive NUCR with the V1000 and R1000 processors, respectively. Both are x86 single-board computers that measure 10cm x 10cm. Each features Radeon Vega 3 graphics. The company has four NUCV builds, and two NUCR builds with varying specs. Pricing is unavailable, but EEPD is taking email requests for more information.

OnLogic is launching the ML 100G-40, which is a compact 4x4 (Nano-ITX-like) PC with passive cooling. It comes equipped with either an AMD R1505G or V1605B CPU with dual LAN and three display out ports. Pre-orders are available starting at $562.

The company also has the MC510-40, which is a Mini-ITX with Vega 8 graphics capable of driving up to four independent displays via DisplayPort 1.3/DP++ ports. It is also ready for pre-ordering with the lower-end models going for $690.

Simply NUC rounds out the list of initial vendors with its Sequoia v8 and Sequoia v6. Both units are built to power digital signage displays, electronic kiosks, data arrays, and other free-standing utilities. The Sequoia v8 is hooked up with a Ryzen V1807B CPU and Vega 11 graphics, while the v6 has a V1605B and a Vega 8 integrated GPU. Customers can pre-order now with builds starting at $849 and $689 for the Sequoia v8 and v6, respectively.

OnLogic and Simply NUC begin shipping in January 2020. ASRock and EEPD did not list availability information, but it is reasonable to assume that they will have systems ready around the same time frame — early 2020.

Image credit: Vivitta via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

For those that were not aware, HP has had some mini PCs with AMD Ryzen for awhile. https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/desktops/hp-prodesk-405-mini-3074457345617397669--1#!&tab=vao
You can get them with Athlon, Ryzen 3, or Ryzen 5.

Last edited:
This. When a person can build their own miniPC for half that price, there is something wrong with what is on offer.
Can you actually build your own miniPC in a 0.7 liter chassis(the Sequoia v8 is a little over 0.6 liters unless I did the math wrong)? Yes it's a niche product and yes it's probably overpriced all things considered, but it's not as bad as you seem to think it is.

Can you actually build your own miniPC in a 0.7 liter chassis(the Sequoia v8 is a little over 0.6 liters unless I did the math wrong)? Yes it's a niche product and yes it's probably overpriced all things considered, but it's not as bad as you seem to think it is.
I didn't say it was bad. You missed the context of my statement.

About time. The only thing which stopping me from going Intel NUC is hopeless VGA performance. Yes, yes I know about these Vega powered models, but equivalent of 1000 $ for a mini PC not for gaming that's ludicrously hopeless value. Intel just milked the market dry. Hoping AMD will deliver - even with old Vega - much better options.

There was one NUC which had a Radeon 540 GPU in it because the Intel iGPU was fused off. That one had about 2x the gaming capabilities of the best Iris Plus NUCs but it was Core i3-only and had only soldered 4GB or 8GB of RAM, no upgrade options. ?????

Back